ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rickztahone's Simple Bowfront Discus Tank (Journal)

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Rickztahone's Simple Bowfront Discus Tank (Journal)

I have been itching to get back in to the hobby as of late. I really miss my 125, and even my 55g tank, but an opportunity came up where I could get a bowfront tank.

As of right now I'm actually not sure how many gallons it is but I'm assuming it is 56g. My cousin claimed this is an 80g tank which I 100% know to be false.
    I took tank measurements yesterday and it was 35Lx 18.5W (at the widest part of the bowfront)x20H. I assume this to be a 56g which kind of sucks because when I thought it was 80g I was going to stock 6 discus.
    Now that I know it is less, I can only do 5, plus, the footprint will be smaller which means I will be right at the max of my stocking level, and I never like running a tank that way. No way I'm doing 4 or less discus in a tank though.

The tank itself is a Jebo tank, and it came with the most aweful looking top, lol. It was all integrated for a filter and lights right on the top! Yuk. So, I removed the tank lid, and for extra measure I took off the rim. I've never been a fan of rims so off it went. I assume it will be fine without the center brace, but I will load it up with water and make sure it isn't too stressed. Here are the pics of the tank:

Before the lid removal

After. Of course I will clean up the top silicone and maybe use some "goo-gone" to remove the residue? Anyone, please advise if I should stay away from these type of products in my aquarium. I still need to bleach the tank and filter too.

Goals:
    -Making DIY Stand- I've been searching for designs on how to make DIY stands, but they all seem to be the same. I wish I could make the stand so that the whole front was curved to match the tank but I do not believe I have the tools to do this. So it will probably end up being a regular rectangular stand, but the top plywood will be shaped for the bowfront. Hopefully, I will be able to integrate the filter pipes in to the stand. It is something I have always wanted to do. I will also include lighting under the tank. I use to hate taking a flashlight under there, lol.

-Frost backing- I've always wanted to do a frosted back tank, and this should be a good candidate. The tank was plenty dirty but I have been using White Vinegar to clean it all up. So far it is coming all off but it is very tedious.
    Additionally, I would like to put an LED light behind the frost back in order to illuminate it a little.

-Substrate- This will be very easy and simple. Light layer of Tan/white pool filter sand. I'm going for the simplistic approach in this tank. All I want in there is the discus, sand, and hopefully a nice DW piece that will help the composition/balance of the tank.

-Filter(s)- I've trusted Rena filters for a really long time so I guess I will end up going with an xp3. The tank came with an xp2, and I may use that as well, but I'm not sure on that yet. I may end up frosting the hoses as well to match the background. I had toyed with the idea of a sump, but I have never used one before. The reason I was looking in to it was because it would expand my water volume. In this way I wouldn't be so near to the limit of where I have to be as far as stocking levels go. Plus, I'm building a custom stand so I can always integrate it directly to the correct space. But again, I've never used one and my fear is ending up with water all over my floor for lacking understanding of a sump system. Additionally, this tank isn't drilled, and i've never done that either.

-Heating- Trusty-O inline Hydor 300. Unless I go with sump, then the heater will stay in the sump. Again, simple approach means getting as many unnecessary things out of the tank as possible.

-Pipes- When I had lily pipes on my 10g planted fish tanks I fell in love with the lily pipe look. I will try to find some for the xp3 hoses. This will just help maintain that "clean tank" look i'm going for. These are the ones I'm looking at I just need to confirm that the sizing is correct for the xp3. I can't remember off the top of my head.

-Lighting- I will go with LED's because I've never had them! 3yrs ago (when I got out of the hobby), LED fixtures were ridiculously expensive. Additionally, they didn't make the daytime/sunrise/sunset effect. You had to have the knowledge on how to wire that! Now, they offer it in a nice little package, lol. This is the one I plan to get. I don't need a lot of light in this tank because I will not have ANY plants, or anything that actually needs the light. I will only depend on this fixture to do its effects and its handy timer settings. No more messing with additonal timers to turn it off/on. The fixture will be suspended from the ceiling.

-Water Change System- This will be very easy to drain, but I am not sure how I will choose to fill the tank. I already have a pvc pipe that goes from my room to the front yard from my previous tanks, so no work to be done there. However, filling the tank might pose a problem. I am not sure if I want to fill directly, or put it in a barrel AND THEN fill the tank. More than likely though, I will end up filling the tank directly since I already have a temperture mixing valve for re-filling tank installed in my room as well. I will have to extend the hoses which is something that I'm not looking forward to. Additionally, one of the reasons I thought it may not be a good idea to fill directly is because of the sand substrate. I figured it would make a huge mess every time I re-fill the tank.

Discus

My goal for the stocking is still a bit in the air. I know for sure I want some type of Turq, but not sure what kind yet.

I may go with:
    -Chicago Discus and get some Alex Piwowarski turqs.
    -Bill from IE I haven't been out to his place in a while but I'm sure he has some good looking turqs as well
    -Chad Hughes from San Diego I haven't been able to contact Chad on the forum but maybe I can give him a ring when I'm ready.

-snookn21 for some RSG wilds (this is less likely as I do not believe this tank setup would be ideal for them, plus they aren't turqs )

I know for sure I do not want to grow out any juvies, so this will be an adult purchase only. My budget for 5 or 6 (dependant on sump or not) will be right around $1,000. Hopefully I can get some 5.5"+.

Conclusion
    My projected completion of this build might be a while actually. Probably a few months, closer to 6 months or so. I have to save up money for the discus, and the additional equipment.

If any of you have any pointers/tips/ideas as far as the Stand/possible sump/or any of the other items, please let me know. It is all still up for improvement. So long as it adheres to the "clean tank" look, then I'm all ears. This will be a full on documentary of the build from here on out. Keep coming back, and I will include updates in the title as well. Thanks for viewing.

P.S. I can finally change my signature! LOL
    Last edited by rickztahone; 06-30-2015 at 05:36 PM.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Default Re: Rickztahone's Simple Bowfront Discus Tank (Journal)

Look forward to seeing you put this all together! There is nothing better than an empty tank and a slew of possibilities! . I have led lights and I love how they have that "shimmer- look". Really brings out the colors of the fish!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Not sure removing the brace is a good idea especially with a bowfront IMHO.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Tictok View Post
    Look forward to seeing you put this all together! There is nothing better than an empty tank and a slew of possibilities! . I have led lights and I love how they have that "shimmer- look". Really brings out the colors of the fish!
    That is what I was looking for as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Not sure removing the brace is a good idea especially with a bowfront IMHO.
    I'm with you there. I kept the frame in tact though. If I see that the tank is under too much stress I can always silicone it back on. We shall see.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Larry

The tank may not show stress right away but when does it will probably be to late. I broke the center brace in a tank once and they do put them there for a reason. If I were you I would put it back 46 gallons of water and fish on the floor is not a pretty site LOL.
    Larry
    Proud member of the SDT Crew Florida
    Great ways to donate to SimplyDiscus and Fund Raisers !!!
    http://www.cafepress.com/simply_discus
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/bppl_donate.php
    http://aquaticsuppliers.com/Freeze-dried-foods_c2.htm

Real Name
    Ricardo

You guys are really bumming me out! Lol. Ok, back it goes. I'm assuming I have to clean the tank really good to re-silicone it so it adheres better?

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Larry

Sorry we are bumming you out just trying to help, would hate to see you have a big mess on your hands. Just get some of the extra silicone off so it will stick on there, and make sure you use fish safe silicone.
    Larry
    Proud member of the SDT Crew Florida
    Great ways to donate to SimplyDiscus and Fund Raisers !!!
    http://www.cafepress.com/simply_discus
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/bppl_donate.php
    http://aquaticsuppliers.com/Freeze-dried-foods_c2.htm

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Rickztahone's Simple Bowfront Discus Tank (Journal, Update 4/6/14)

Ok, very small update.

Got the rim back on. GE silicone I clear to the rescue! It is curing and will keep curing for the next few days. I'm leaving it outside for the time being. I hope acrylic can sit outside with the shifts in temps. It can't currently be indoors.

I also frosted the back glass. Came out pretty good. $20 background, not bad. Once the LED lights it up from behind I think it will look even better.

On to the Pics:

I've used this silicone many many times. Cheap and works extremely well.

Love getting wifey help :-)

Getting the bubbles out

Back View

Finished product. If nothing else, having the top rim off made it a whole lot easier to install the frost tint, lol. It wasn't a total bust.

Up next I will be tackling the stand.
    Stay tuned.
    Last edited by rickztahone; 06-30-2015 at 05:37 PM.

Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sam

Default Re: Rickztahone's Simple Bowfront Discus Tank (Journal, Update 4/6/14)

That looks really good with the frosted back, looking forward to seeing more

What is the spray can for?

I'm confused about the frosted back. What did you use the paint for? Did you paint the window film?
    Joan

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Mas84 View Post
    That looks really good with the frosted back, looking forward to seeing more
    Thank you. Hopefully I'll have the stand done soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    What is the spray can for?
    The spray can is for the hoses that will eventually be coming out of the sides of the stand. I want to paint them so that when they get all dirty they don't mess up the look of the overall tank.

Quote Originally Posted by joanstone View Post
    I'm confused about the frosted back. What did you use the paint for? Did you paint the window film?
    Sorry about that. Now I realize that I should not have included the spray in this part of the process yet. It will eventually be used for the hoses coming from the filters to the tank. The process I showed above did not include the spray at all.

Cafepress.com

Ok, now I get it. It's looking great. I looked into doing a frosted back at one point too. Have you seen what some people are doing with frosted backing, shadow boxes and lighting? It's pretty cool.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1868825
    Joan

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by joanstone View Post
    Ok, now I get it. It's looking great. I looked into doing a frosted back at one point too. Have you seen what some people are doing with frosted backing, shadow boxes and lighting? It's pretty cool.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1868825
    That is an awesome link, thank you! If you notice on THIS thread reply it shows kind of the look I am going for. I was thinking of putting the LED on the wall though aiming towards the tank. But seeing how they did it made me think I may get better diffusion for a much more appealing look. I just need to find that kind of LED strip.

Thanks again.

Cafepress.com

Yes, that's a good one too. There are some really neat ideas out there, I'll be very interested in how yours turns out. Keep the updates coming!
    Joan

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast