ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rickztahone's Simple Bowfront Discus Tank (Journal)

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sam

Default Re: Rickztahone's Simple Bowfront Discus Tank (Journal)

This is looking awesome! you had excellent skills!

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Looks great Ricardo, are you a self taught carpenter or is this your job maybe? Very professional looking, it will be just wonderful with a tank and 5 discus on top of that new stand!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Mas84 View Post
    This is looking awesome! you had excellent skills!
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Looks great Ricardo, are you a self taught carpenter or is this your job maybe? Very professional looking, it will be just wonderful with a tank and 5 discus on top of that new stand!
    Barb
    Thank you both very much. The only experience I have doing any carpentry was from 2 past stands I had in the past. It was a stand for my 55 and then another for 2 10g tanks. I guess I learned enough to decide to do this full build.

I had never done cabinet doors in this fashion, but, if you see my original drawn sketch, it had them, so I had to make the effort.

So long as your door frame is square, making the doors isn't that difficult. It just requires patience and a whole lot of re-measuring.

thanks for stopping by.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Super nice build thread Rick. Well done and an inspiration to others
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Ricardo

Thank you very much Pat. I can't wait to paint this thing so I can relax, lol. I will be purchasing the light real soon as well. LED strip, 24" since I do not need much light (no plants).

I needed a fixture that provided the sunrise/sunset feature, and found one for cheap on Amazon. I will review it and let you guys/gals know how I like it.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

wow rick, i didnt know i was talkin to a master carpenter here.
    i love the frosted background. where can i get the film and how much was it?
    i wanna do those on my fishroom tanks also.
    Discus dave.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by dkeef View Post
    wow rick, i didnt know i was talkin to a master carpenter here.
    i love the frosted background. where can i get the film and how much was it?
    i wanna do those on my fishroom tanks also.
    You can buy the frost at home depot or Lowes for $20 or less. They only had the large size when I went and that was $20 but I know they carry a smaller size which is usually only around $12 or so. I still have plenty left over. If you just need to do a few tanks I can take what I have left and give it to you when I go over. If you need to do a whole lot of tanks then buying a few rolls should suffice. It is easy to apply and it gives a great appearance. I'm especially happy how the cabinet doors turned out. I placed the filters behind there just to see if you could make them out and they pretty much disappear a few inches from behind the frosted glass. I plan on putting an LED light behind the tank back to light it up. I also plan on putting a switch led light in the stand to see better. updates coming soon.

A list of things I still need to buy: (this is more a list so that I remember, lol)
    -lily pipes. I believe the round ones that point up might be better for discus so that I get a lot of surface agitation.
    -Light fixture, I know I will be going with this one
    -This pool filter sand
    -Driftwood, I still don't know where I will be getting the DW. I have seen a few local CL people selling some and I get the benefit of seeing the pieces before I buy which is always nice. Leaning towards that.
    -The LED strip lights. Still undecided about these. I see many options on Amazon for the strip lights but I'm not sure if that is what I want. I will keep searching.

That should pretty much cover it. Other than that I think I have bought everything. I will be getting a seeded sponge filter from Josie when I get my discus so that will be good. I already bought an xp3 and the tank came with an xp2, so that should be fine. I still had a hydor 300w heater lying around. So that keeps EVERYTHING out of the tank, and the clean look hopefully comes to pass. If I am missing something please chime in
    Last edited by rickztahone; 06-30-2015 at 05:41 PM.

Cafepress.com

Busy man like me.
    Hey how much comes in a roll. I need to cover multiple 8x2 backs.
    Discus dave.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by dkeef View Post
    Busy man like me.
    Hey how much comes in a roll. I need to cover multiple 8x2 backs.
    Off the top of my head I want to say 20', but I will check when I get home for you.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Rickztahone's Simple Bowfront Discus Tank (update 4/15 Journal)

The tank is painted and all ready to go. It is inside the house now. Yay, one step closer.

Forgot the photo, woops:
    Last edited by rickztahone; 04-16-2014 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Forgot the photo

Cafepress.com

Looking super! Cant wait to see what the final thing looks like

Still drooling over your planted tanks im about 3 years of effort from that level lol !
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

The white trim definitely gives it a different look. Should look super once all put together.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by musicmarn1 View Post
    Looking super! Cant wait to see what the final thing looks like

Still drooling over your planted tanks im about 3 years of effort from that level lol !
    Thanks Marnie. The planted world is a whole other horse. So long as you get the principles down you should be good. My quick advice? When you plant, you should buy a whole lot of plants. You want to overload the tank with plants and then feed them enough nutrients and enough light. That is the most important imo. Many try learning as you go, I suggest to plan ahead, especially equipment wise. Get your co2, distribution, filtration and lights going first. I strongly suggest to have a fully going planted tank for quite a few months before you introduce discus/fauna. That is my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    The white trim definitely gives it a different look. Should look super once all put together.
    Pat
    Thanks Pat. I am finally finished with the wood filling, finally! Tomorrow morning will be paint day. Unfortunately I'm still missing my grommets. I would have loved drilling before paint.

stay tuned.

Cafepress.com

Nice!!!
    Discus dave.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Paint is done. Grommets still aren't here
    The stand is staying outdoors today to air out. Being that tomorrow is Easter Sunday we won't be home all day. So, I won't see the tank on top of the stand till then.

8 White Grommets coming

Before Paint

1 Coat

2 coats

3 Coats

The doors are also done and ready to go but I haven't installed them yet to let them dry as well.

Cafepress.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast