ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Rickztahone's Simple Bowfront Discus Tank (Journal)

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Rickztahone's Simple Bowfront Discus Tank (Journal)

Quote Originally Posted by joanstone View Post
    You're very welcome. Everything is coming out really, really well. I'm definitelygoing to have to try that myself at some point.
    It was pretty cheap actually. About $30 total.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Update, got the Lily pipes, Finally! All the way from HK. They are pretty large bulbs. Much larger than I thought, about fist size, lol. I really like them though. Unfortunately, after I installed the lily pipes I found out that the XP2 isn't working, . I'm not sure if it is the impeller or a gasket. I will have to troubleshoot tomorrow. BTW, does anyone know if xp2 and xp3 parts are interchangeable? I want to troubleshoot with the xp3 parts on the xp2, but don't want to mess anything up.

As always, on to the pics:

They were shipped very well. Great seller. these 2 sets came out to $85 shipped! Back when I had my 10g tanks I paid over $100 for acrylic ones!

Good sized bowl

On the tank, side view

from the inside side view

Trying to keep that clean look. From this point forward there will not be any additional items in the tank, except for the seeded air pump filter that Josie will be sending with the discus. It is to help my filter colonize bacteria.

another side view

Full tank shot

With the light box turned on. I thought I took one with the main fixture on but I guess I forgot.

You can see the grommets very clearly here. They really added a nice touch.

And lastly, put an LED light inside the stand. It came in handy when dealing with the filters today. Unfortunately, the culprit (xp2) wasn't cooperating, which means I couldn't run the bleaching today. grrrr...

Oh, by the way, further testing showed that my siphon system was a failure. It initially works and after a few seconds it will stop working. I believe I know what the problem is. I believe what is happening is that the air at the end of the pvc is actually filling up with air, and since the pvc is so wide, the air travels right up to the top of the siphon system and breaks the siphon. Generally, this wouldn't happen with a long hose because it is thin and the air can never climb up the hose, if that makes sense. So, I had to resort to getting a submersible pump. Luckily, I had one at my mothers house.

Just the LED fixture left and the fish themselves.

I also tweeked the temperature valve and now the water is coming out at a consistant 84F :-).

I can see the finish line...
    Last edited by rickztahone; 06-30-2015 at 05:44 PM.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Most overdone elegant 50 gal in the world. Nice job rick!
    Discus dave.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by dkeef View Post
    Most overdone elegant 50 gal in the world. Nice job rick!
    Says the person with the most tanks as a hobbyist in California

Thanks Dave.

After speaking to you guys I feel kind of dumb that I overbuilt the stand so much, lol. If I ever decide to put a 240 super duper tall on this stand, I will have no doubt it will support it.

Cafepress.com

What's the lily pipes for?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    What's the lily pipes for?
    The only real point of the lily pipes is aesthetics. I did not want there to be unnecessary items in the tank like heaters and such. Obviously you need to have a filter, so I chose to try to hide those as well with lily pipes.

Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    The only real point of the lily pipes is aesthetics. I did not want there to be unnecessary items in the tank like heaters and such. Obviously you need to have a filter, so I chose to try to hide those as well with lily pipes.
    It looks cool. so its just a transparent intake and return.

I suggest something different here, position the two intakes on one side and the two returns on the other, this way you will produce an even steady flow for the current.

With your current setup you have two opposing systems which will produce turbulence.

I don't really know if having a steady directional current is beneficial in any way or the opposite for turbulence, I always try to avoid turbulence

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    It looks cool. so its just a transparent intake and return.

I suggest something different here, position the two intakes on one side and the two returns on the other, this way you will produce an even steady flow for the current.

With your current setup you have two opposing systems which will produce turbulence.

I don't really know if having a steady directional current is beneficial in any way or the opposite for turbulence, I always try to avoid turbulence
    Indeed, it is just a glass intake and return. Word of caution for lily pipes though, they get super dirty quickly. What I use to do with my acrylic ones was to dip them in a bleach solution for a few minutes every month or so.

With regards to the turbulence, they aren't directly opposing each other. As it stands, the filter on the left (XP3) has the return on the side closest to the front of the tank. On the opposite side, the filter on the right has the return on the side furthest away from the front of the tank. The flow isn't that great on the xp2 which will have the heater as well. Hopefully this will not be too much flow. The configuration you suggest would be too much hose under the tank and it just isn't something I would like to do. If, however, I see that my discus are not comfortable with this configuration, I can change it up down the line. I will deal with that bridge when I get there though.

Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Scott

this is looking bad *** rick! love those white pipes!
    Scott
    Wild Blue Discus
    NW Victoria Australia
    Planted-tank-aphile, Hobby Breeder and wild discus fan

Real Name
    Ricardo

Thanks Scott! In all honesty I kind of wish I would have painted the background white rather than the light box. The more I see the slightly blue hue of the leds, the less I like it. I will have to ser how it looks with discus in there though.

Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Scott

that always easy to fix, you still going with hardscape? we are about to do a few videos on hardscaping
    Scott
    Wild Blue Discus
    NW Victoria Australia
    Planted-tank-aphile, Hobby Breeder and wild discus fan

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by wild-blue-discus View Post
    that always easy to fix, you still going with hardscape? we are about to do a few videos on hardscaping
    Yes, but further down the line. Unfortunately, my original plan was to go with adults but the only APRT's I could find were 5.5", so I want to grow them out to about 6.5" or so before I do a hardscape. BB for growing out, as mundane as it looks, this is the best way to do it.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Awesome, sold a lens on ebay and I bought my LED fixture. It should be here in a few days. I bought the 24" one and plan to suspended a bit high to get better coverage. Keep in mind that I will never keep plants in this tank so high light output isn't needed. I did however want to have the sunrise/sunset effect which this fixture offers. It is this Aquatic Life LED Light fixture

Here are the specs for the one I got:
    24-Inch Item #420284 fits Aquarium Frames between 23.5 Inches and 26.25 Inches - LED Complement: (13) 6K White, (14) 9K White, (17) 10K White, (3) Blue, (7) Red, (3) Blue Lunar LED's

Here are the specs for the other two sizes:
    36-Inch Item #420285 fits Aquarium Frames between 35.0 Inches and 38.25 Inches - LED Complement: (21) 6K White, (21) 9K White, (24) 10K White, (7) Blue, (11) Red, (3) Blue Lunar LED's
    48-Inch Item #420286 fits Aquarium Frames between 47.0 Inches and 50.25 Inches - LED Complement: (27) 6K White, (27) 9K White, (33) 10K White, (7) Blue, (14) Red, (6) Blue Lunar LED's

I'm more worried about the red channel, but we shall see how it goes. I'll post a little mini review after I've had it for a while.
    Last edited by rickztahone; 05-06-2014 at 07:31 PM.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Finally! Everything is finally done!
    The xp2 had a bad impeller. I bought the impeller and it came in on Saturday. Ran 1:10 bleach to water ratio through the whole system. Emptied/Rinsed twice and used a whole lot of SAFE, lol.

The LED fixture should come in on the 15th. The discus will come in tomorrow. Can't wait!

Only the back lightbox was available for this pic

Sry for the bubbles. I checked pH and it was stable from one day to the next. They go away fairly quickly.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Tony

Very exciting and can't wait to see it up running.

««««««««««« please excuse smart phone poster error »»»»»»»»»»
    My Fish Space
    300gallon Bare Bottom Tank [COMPLETED]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "seek peace and pursue it"

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast