AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: My 150 Gallon planted discus tank

Default Re: My 150 Gallon planted discus tank

Beautiful, well done tank, it appears that your fish are well grown, and doing nicely.

Question for the OP...what is the upper substrate you are using on the tank.

I was going to go with PFS as I have with all of my other projects, but that has a nice look to it...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Frankr409 View Post
    Beautiful, well done tank, it appears that your fish are well grown, and doing nicely.

Question for the OP...what is the upper substrate you are using on the tank.

I was going to go with PFS as I have with all of my other projects, but that has a nice look to it...
    The substrate is ADA Amazon II.

Sam, I read that Ada can lead to cloudiness upon moving plants, etc. did you experience any issues? Secondly, about how many liters did you purchase for your 150, what kind of depth did that give you. I appreciate your experience with this, and I might be interested, it would be good for ph and hardness.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Frankr409 View Post
    Sam, I read that Ada can lead to cloudiness upon moving plants, etc. did you experience any issues? Secondly, about how many liters did you purchase for your 150, what kind of depth did that give you. I appreciate your experience with this, and I might be interested, it would be good for ph and hardness.

Sorry i don't remember the amount It was around $800 worth if that can help you figure it out. I have it around 6 inches thick at the rear and 4 inches at the front. It helps keep the PH and hardness at a perfect balance. It does cloud the water a little when plants are removed but it settles very quickly. (ive only moved plants during water changes)

Hope this helps

Registered Member

Looks very nice!!

hey did TBmeck aka plantedMN ever do the planted vs BB grow out test?
    never heard back since then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DDn...5CTZ-cQe6K6AZw
    Discus dave.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ed Sye

Here's my two cents..."Planted tanks and raising discus" I've spent a lot of years with planted tanks. I'm not talking about tanks with a few plants scattered about, but landscaped tanks usually without any livestock. I raised and bred African Ciclids also. This was separate from the planted tank hobby. About ten years ago I decided I wanted a "show" tank of mixed Lake Malawi Ciclids in a planted environment. It took me years to find the balance between plant and livestock needs. I am now a newbie when it comes to Discus and I will focus on the livestock's needs first. I do have some ideas on how to decorate to make the space less "empty" but lets deal with one living organism at a time.

Sam, looking great. Keep up the updates. Mine's not worth updating right now. Still keeping up with my maintenance routine but changing up the driftwood layout and plants from now until fall. I definitely need to do a thorough cleaning soon though. I've slacked on vacuuming (not WC's, but vacuuming... but still, that's brought my water quality down a little).
    -Elliot

No discus in my planted right now since I am not cleaning those tanks lol I do love the forrest look I'm not great at planted but boy I soooooo ooooh enjoy the ones I've gotten right, would still love pics of urs
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sam

Hi guys, just took some update photos. The new juvies are slowly growing. I lost the largest of the yellows which is a shame as it was starting to yellow up and had some awesome looking turquoise pattern happening in the face and fins.

The smaller of the blue diamonds is catching up in size and the larger of the red turquoise has grown into the big boss man.

Nice looking tank! The colors of your discus really pop! What light do you use?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by jen83 View Post
    Nice looking tank! The colors of your discus really pop! What light do you use?

Thanks Jen, it's a "plantglo" led from Aquaone

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jesse Liu

what kind of snake skin discus are those in the middle?! those are beautiful! and where did you get them?! i mean this one http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/...ps14816e65.jpg

Looks 1000% better some other setups we are seeing on here! Outstanding, and good to see healthy happy discus.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jesse Liu

where did you get your snake skin?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast