ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 120 Gal Aquarium build. Diy sump, stand, overflow, LED lighting and full auto WC

Thumbs up 120 Gal Aquarium build. Diy sump, stand, overflow, LED lighting and full auto WC

Hello good people!

Skipping the intro and going straight to pictures lol
    I reference my previous 55gal build so here's a link to that:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...everything-lol

This is a 120G I picked up few months ago. Build the stand out of 2x4s. Outside is done with 3/4 finish plywood. Cabinet to the right was framed with 2x2s, same plywood for finish.

I've been driving around trying to find a good stain to match my living room furniture. Thinking I'll finally buy something today and get it done this week.

Diy Overflow

This is very similar to my previous design. Two pvc half's, 3" and 4". I did not like the crooked drilled holes/jigsaw cuts on the one in my 55gal so I changed this one. Decided to shorten the pvc's. 4" one starts 5" from the bottom of the tank and will suck poop from this point. Inner 3" pvc is even shorter. It ends about 2" below the drain hole. I siliconed in a piece of acrylic on the bottom so water would only go over the top. The big pvc is a foam fractonator.

After I painted that side.

Diy LED Lighting

This was the easiest thing ever. I was researching a lot on building an led system. Researching different leds, colors, coolers, power supplies etc.
    I'm helping my brother with remodeling the house he just purchased and we installed these led strips inside lowered crown moldings. So I took one to see if I could use it.
    The lamp housing was used in my previous 55g tank. Took all the electronics out and siliconed in the led strip. Think he said it was like $30 for the led.

It has a remote. You can choose a preset color or customize one.

Wife likes this one...

Video of a fade mode. You can do disco flash also lol

Sky is the limit! I will definitely play around with this to get the best color for my fish.

Hmmm..... whats next....

MISC

Water line, dedicated 15 amp circuit and water drain.

I ripped out the whole basement 1st week we had the house so I have access to everything.
    View from bellow.

Notice the two new joist I added for more support.

For the later line. I wanted the ability to control the incoming temperature, so I installed this:

Ghetto but works great!

SUMP

55gal tank converted to a sump. 3 partitions.
    Right side is where the water enters in the sump. Filter sock and heater in this one. The pvc pipe is an overflow to drain. Just in case water level gets to high in there it will drain away.
    This is not used for the auto water changes. I did not do a drip system.

Middle. Siliconed in suction cups(did the same for the heater cups) at each corner. Heated up a needle and melted holes in the air line. This is where my K1 will be. I haven't tested the water movement yet but I think it'll be ok. I was going to use poret foam as dividers but it's expensive. I had some leftover 1/4 acrylic that I used for sump covers anyways. Used a sliding miter saw to cut out the openings.

Left side, where the magic happens...

Return pump, another heater, water float valve and a watchdog float switch. This switch turns on the return pump once the level reaches a certain point. I used this float because its actually a dual float switch. It has a backup float just in case the first one fails. This was installed so in case the sump water level would go down, the pump doesn't run dry.

There is a 3/4" water float switch(connected to copper line). This is for supplying water into the sump. I will add water until it gets high enough to close its self. Similar to a toilet I suppose.

Water goes through a whole house carbon filter.

Carbon media is rated for 30,000 gallons of water... I'm thinking once a year I'll change it...
    Filter was installed so that I won't have to "prime" the water. Went over all the specs and the media will remove 4-5x the amount of chlorine that's in the city water.
    Wife did a water change on my 55gal in the basement and forgot to use prime... One of my Piwowarski RT died. I was very upset.

Auto water drain

Drilled a hole between my overflows. This is connected to the drain. I installed a manual valve just in case the electrical one fails.
    The Electrical valve is a normally closed, 3/4" electrical solenoid valve($50 with power supply). It stays closed untill 24V is applied, which opens it thus allowing the water to drain.
    The 24V transformer is attached to a digital Christmas lights timer(upside down).

So here's how it works:
    Tank is filled with water cycling through the sump. Digital timer turns on the electronic valve which starts draining the water. As the water drains, the level inside the sump drops down. Tank water level never changes as water never stops circulating. As the water drops inside the sump, the float switch in the sump drops down and starts adding more water. Wallah
    It drains faster then it fills. This is due to the float switch inside the pump. I looked for a high flow one but those were expensive so I settled for medium flow.
    Once the timer runs out and cuts off the voltage to the electronic valve, it closes itself. Draining stops and the float valve in the sump keeps adding filtered water till it closes itself.
    Picked up a cheap water flow meter for like $15. You can see it below the electronic valve. This tells me how much water get changed each time so I can either increase the timer setting for more drain on decrease it for less.
    Have to clean the tank, get some sand and I'll make a video of it self filling itself.

Thanks for reading.
    I do what I must do, to do what I wish to do!
    dominik

Real Name
    Wes

Default Re: 120 Gal Aquarium build. Diy sump, stand, overflow, LED lighting and full auto WC

Great build, You may want to try one of the thermostatic valves for the incoming water. More expensive but they adjust by temp not pressure.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywell...US-1/202264710

Many shower and combination tub/shower mixing valves in todays homes use a pressure balanced design. Unfortunately, pressure balanced type valves do not automatically control outlet temperatures, nor do they automatically limit outlet temperatures should the supply temperatures dramatically increase or decrease. Such limitations are potentially dangerous. Further, to prevent users from adjusting the valve beyond a safe operating temperature, pressure balanced valves require setting of the limit stop by the installer. In addition, to accommodate future changes in the hot or cold water temperature, the limit stop would need to be re-set. By contrast, Watts Thermostatic Mixing Valves offer precise control of the outlet temperatures, no matter how the supply temperatures or pressures vary over time.

http://www.watts.com/pages/learnAbou...ves.asp?catId=
    Thank u to all guys and girls for all your help and hard work at NADA Chicago 2016 [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Re: 120 Gal Aquarium build. Diy sump, stand, overflow, LED lighting and full auto WC

Never seen those before. I'll look into it if I'll have temp issues.

Started filling up the tank. Turn on the water and walk away...

Float valve. Makes this loud noise when it closes...Guess its kinda good, least I'll know its running.

Once the water level hits the first watchdog float switch it turns on the return pump. Pump stays on till float turns off and turns off the pump.

dominik

Real Name
    Ricardo

That is very impressive. Keep us updated on the progress.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Dominik,

Once again you have a fantastic set up, congratulations. I'm trying to incorporate your overflow system into a 72-gallon that I'm getting ready to set up. I am planning a design similar to your 55 gallon system, only I'll use a table saw to cut the PVC, versus a jig saw. Makes sense to me to draw water/poop from the bottom, and then use a spry bar at the top to aerate the water.

Question on your LED lighting. I'm searching for LED lights and would like to know more about where you got them and more detail on how you installed them.

Thank you,

Craigj

Nick Klimkowski

Looking great, looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

Thanks.

Craigj, do not use anything besides jig saw for cutting pvc pipe in half. I used a table saw on my fist build. The PVC will compress on the blade and lock on it, I almost lost a finger. Cutting it length wise is no problem. If you are looking for a super straight edge, then cut with jig saw first then table saw the edge.

LED; Bought a florescent lamp fixture from HD long time ago. I took all the electronics out from it. I then siliconed the LED strip to the bottom of it.
    This is what I used

http://www.amazon.com/LEMONBEST-SMD-.../dp/B00AJJDLHQ

Thats all that was to it.
    dominik

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by dbfzurowski View Post
    Thanks.

Craigj, do not use anything besides jig saw for cutting pvc pipe in half. I used a table saw on my fist build. The PVC will compress on the blade and lock on it, I almost lost a finger. Cutting it length wise is no problem. If you are looking for a super straight edge, then cut with jig saw first then table saw the edge.

LED; Bought a florescent lamp fixture from HD long time ago. I took all the electronics out from it. I then siliconed the LED strip to the bottom of it.
    This is what I used

http://www.amazon.com/LEMONBEST-SMD-.../dp/B00AJJDLHQ

Thats all that was to it.
    A very silly question, but the product you linked to, does it have a supplied AC adapter to plug in to the power outlet? I need a low output LED light to put behind my tank. Thanks.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

You would need to buy 12V 6A transformer for it. Its working real nice so far(3days straight).

Little update. Found a stain that was supposed to match my furniture. Applied two coats on wood and it looked like someone rubbed mud on it. How very disappointing...
    So I bought black paint and it actually looks nice. Needs one more coat.

Did my monthly visit to a fish store and found some nice driftwood. Added two bags of pool filter sand and a cool looking stone.
    dominik

Real Name
    Ricardo

Thanks for the info. I am completely daft when it comes to wiring stuff. I will research what that transformer is to make the lights work. Is that how you are currently running them?

Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by dbfzurowski View Post

Craigj, do not use anything besides jig saw for cutting pvc pipe in half.
    I appreciate the warning as I'd like to keep all 10 fingers and don't want to risk any kickback from the blade. I'll use a miter box for cutting the PVC to length, then be very careful with the table saw to cut the PVC in half. On second thought, I've had PVC lock down on blades before when cutting lengthwise, so I may just bend some acrylic and see how that goes.

Thanks for the link to the LED lights. Can't beat the price and it even has a remote. The reviews on Amazon are "interesting". I like the black and the driftwood.

Craig

Ricardo, that's how I have it now. I got the LED strip and the transformer from my brother.

Plugged in and that's it.

Took a picture of the transformer for you. I just noticed it's a 12v 2A transformer. I was reading these need 6A. Think my bro bought wrong one. Maybe with the 6A it will be brighter...I'll just wait till this one dies before I purchase the 6A one. No plants in this tank so I dont need strong light to grow algae on the glass tops.
    dominik

Real Name
    Ricardo

Awesome, thanks for the picture. Much appreciated

Cafepress.com

That is awesome, the set up, the lighting all of it, I have no clue about what you did but I am going to learn.. it looks really good and makes water change easy, I am getting to old to keep lugging bucket's of water.

Jerry

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Here's the link with the pow adapter http://www.amazon.com/LEMONBEST-SMD-.../dp/B00AJJDLHQ

That did not work as hoped. You will see a button under the description that says Strip with Controller and pow adapter. Click on that button.
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 04-10-2014 at 09:27 AM.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast