ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: my ph is too high

Registered Member

Default my ph is too high

OK my question is any way to lower the ph on my municipal water is to high and i like to keep it at 7 so I'm using API proper ph 7 wich is getting expensive since i have a 125 g,75g & 40g any advice how to lower my ph cheaper.

Default Re: my ph is too high

Save yourself some money and don't bother lowering your ph. Discus do fine in high ph. If you are breeding or something get an ro unit.
    --Don--

Registered Member

[QUOTE=lipadj46;1083277]Save yourself some money and don't bother lowering your ph. Discus do fine in high ph. If you are breeding or something get an ro unit.[/QUO

I'm talking about 8.2 or higher i try and they don't like it at all, if is not any other solution no choice i will keep spending money to make my discus happy that is my priority thank you

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jay West

I use seachem neutral buffer. Only need a little bit, add during WC for 7.0 PH and removes ammonia, chlorine and whatnot so it will save you on water conditioner.

Jay

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

yquefue, are you aging your water? I ask because I too have 8+ pH and it's not a problem, I'm wondering if your fish are possibly reacting to pH bounce and not high pH. I don't think it's what you want to hear, but I agree with Don about manipulating your pH. Generally discus are happy with consistent water and don't seem to be bothered much by pH, with the possible exception of wilds.
    President - North American Discus Association

They will be happy with high PH, but stable then PH jump up and down ...
    Ryan

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by JaydubAiC21 View Post
    I use seachem neutral buffer. Only need a little bit, add during WC for 7.0 PH and removes ammonia, chlorine and whatnot so it will save you on water conditioner.

Jay
    Jay yes it sound more like something i will do.thank you i will considered that option

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CozyKeith View Post
    yquefue, are you aging your water? I ask because I too have 8+ pH and it's not a problem, I'm wondering if your fish are possibly reacting to pH bounce and not high pH. I don't think it's what you want to hear, but I agree with Don about manipulating your pH. Generally discus are happy with consistent water and don't seem to be bothered much by pH, with the possible exception of wilds.
    Yes i do age water, my do get bother by high ph like i said before i tried, and like i said before it is my priority to keep them happy and them I'm happy. thank you

Registered Member

I got mine on 8.2 with aged water !! My discus are all happy n growing!!!

Don't chase the pH. When you age your water for 24 hours agitating the water, what is the pH?
    Stan

SIMPLY DISCUS IS AN OXYMORON

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Quote Originally Posted by yquefue View Post
    Yes i do age water, my do get bother by high ph like i said before i tried, and like i said before it is my priority to keep them happy and them I'm happy. thank you
    Whatever works for you, I just wouldn't rule out you have something else going on you're missing. Not preaching, just speaking from the experience of having missed plenty.
    President - North American Discus Association

Registered Member

Discus do best at steady pH. Try to not adjust your pH and see how they do. What the pH actually is is not important unless you are breeding.

Ditto.....I've learned that as long as your ph is consistent, it's ok for your discus. If you try to change it, you risk fluctuation, which would be worse for your discus. Let us know what you decide! Kris

Registered Member

Ok guys this is my history with discus i started like a year and half ago, didn't much about PH,ammonia,nitrite or nitrates and i used to do wc every day straight from the faucet,changing filters every month and until now i having had any deads but readin and reading on forums like this one,i think i learn a lot and now i do things the way they suppost to be i guess i was lucky and dont want to risk any of my discus any more. ok going back to PH how do i make them like such a high PH from 7 to 8.2 ?. thank you all for you advice and the time to read my post.

Quote Originally Posted by yquefue View Post
    Ok guys this is my history with discus i started like a year and half ago, didn't much about PH,ammonia,nitrite or nitrates and i used to do wc every day straight from the faucet,changing filters every month and until now i having had any deads but readin and reading on forums like this one,i think i learn a lot and now i do things the way they suppost to be i guess i was lucky and dont want to risk any of my discus any more. ok going back to PH how do i make them like such a high PH from 7 to 8.2 ?. thank you all for you advice and the time to read my post.
    Do the change gradually, if your aquarium is 7 and tap is 8.2.
    do a 20% WC using your aged water without buffer this way you will raise the pH in your aquarium gradually

Don't risk your fish, take care of them, but something that I learned lately is sometimes we over do our hobby and it gets into us on the long run.
    Since your fish is not wild its okay with the high pH just do the change gradually

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast