ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I need some immediate help please.

Registered Member

Default I need some immediate help please.

I posted earlier about my oldest Discus not eating and have started a round of Metro. Well, I noticed some white slimy sort of stuff in the bottom of the aquarium yesterday when I did the water change. Tonight there was quite a bit of it. Upon closer inspection I noticed some of this hanging from the lower part of the gill on the Discus I have been treating. What in the world am I dealing with here?

Registered Member

Default Re: I need some immediate help please.

Ok, I did some reading and I believe it is Flukes. I treated with Prazipro. My only question is should I continue the Metro?

I do not think it is good to do 2 meds at the same time.. maybe some other people with more knowledge them me will chime in.

Jerry

Registered Member

I seen where someone said the 2 can be used together. You do a daily water change with Metro, so, do I just add back the Prazipro I take out?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Clay View Post
    I posted earlier about my oldest Discus not eating and have started a round of Metro. Well, I noticed some white slimy sort of stuff in the bottom of the aquarium yesterday when I did the water change. Tonight there was quite a bit of it. Upon closer inspection I noticed some of this hanging from the lower part of the gill on the Discus I have been treating. What in the world am I dealing with here?
    Speculating I'd say something was irritating the gills if there is excess slime coming from them. Check all water params and check that nothing has contaminated the water. Sometimes fish will react to meds too.

And yes you can safely use metro and prazi together and yes, replace the prazi removed with water changes.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

Thanks!

Registered Member

I dosed with Prazipro on Saturday night. Did a 50% water change on Sunday and dosed again. The big blue on is not getting any better yet. He still has the mucus coming from the gills. I also have another one that is not really eating...spitting food out. I don't think there can be any problem with the water affecting the gills as the others are not doing this. I am about to give up on this whole Discus thing. I don't think I have the patience.

What ever happens do not give up, learn from it and move on if not now maybe later. I have 2 discus and 6 more coming this friday, the 2 are in 40 gallon and in Jan 1 2014 I saw one of the fish was very bloated, did many treatments and now it is 4/14/14 the fish is still bloated, and eats a little. but i tried everything people told me, It is just sometimes it is to late... I have learned to Try and keep it simple, do water changes, so many things can go wrong from not doing water changes, some do everyday some every other day, and others even longer.. I think you can go longer (but it is not good for the fish) only if your tank is not maxed with to many fish, and you are not leaven food in the tank to long. To me I think that is the biggest problem people do is not siphon the extra food out in a timely manner.. PM paul and ask what else to try, he is the right person to ask.. Just dont give up...

Jerry

Registered Member

Thanks Jerry. I have 6 in a 75 gallon. I will not give up just venting I guess. Thanks.

Have you finished your treatment? If so how long has it been. Fish take time to rebound from illness. Are they in QT? Are there any other symptoms? Water is good? As Paul has stated
    Speculating I'd say something was irritating the gills if there is excess slime coming from them.
    It could also develop a bacteria infection from the irritant and cause mucus. PP would take care of outside bacteria and parasites. I don't like to use it it is just a personal preference, but if you feel you will need to move into a stronger med then ask Paul he uses it much more often and can walk you through it.
    Coree

Life is maintenance, happiness if flexibility,
    May you stay forever young.

Registered Member

No, I have made 2 treatments of Prazipro so far. No I am treating the "whole" tank. No other symptoms than stated. Water is good. I guess I need to be patient.

It may be worth considering a salt dip here, if nothing else it will help "flush" the gills.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

I did another water change last night and add some Prazipro back to the tank. He is swimming around some now, but, still no eating. The other one that was not eating , did eat a little last night. What would a salt dip consist of?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Clay View Post
    I did another water change last night and add some Prazipro back to the tank. He is swimming around some now, but, still no eating. The other one that was not eating , did eat a little last night. What would a salt dip consist of?
    Have a read here http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-Do-a-Salt-Dip
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

Oh, gosh that sounds a little scary. What will the salt do? Get rid of the Flukes? I appreciate your help.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast