AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I need some immediate help please.

Registered Member

Default Re: I need some immediate help please.

Here is a picture of the fish that is shedding the gill mucus.

Registered Member

And here is a picture of the mucus on the filter.

Sandy is that really all coming from the gills?
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member Madaboutdiscus's Avatar

Wow that's a lot of mucous.

~Victoria

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Clay View Post
    I dosed with Prazipro on Saturday night. Did a 50% water change on Sunday and dosed again. The big blue on is not getting any better yet. He still has the mucus coming from the gills. I also have another one that is not really eating...spitting food out. I don't think there can be any problem with the water affecting the gills as the others are not doing this. I am about to give up on this whole Discus thing. I don't think I have the patience.

Please don't give this hobby up just yet.....there is still hope.

I can assist you further if you need my help. Just DONT OVERDOSE follow the instruction carefully and go ez on them meds

Be patience my friend and be water quoted by: Bruce LEE

Discus Internal Parasite and External Parasite Treatment Pack

Treatment pack contains medications used to treat internal parasites in discus fish and external parasites in discus fish (gill flukes). Also treats internal and external parasites in angelfish, goldfish, catfish and other tropical fish. Internal and external parasite treatment pack contains: 50 grams Metronidazole, 50 grams Dewormer and one ounce PraziPro.

Complete Cleanup Pack
    (Metronidazole, Dewormer, 1 ounce PraziPro)
    Price: $40.00

Fast Cheap International Shipping To Your Door Available On This Item
    Risk Free Shopping Guaranteed Arrival or Money Back
    Not available to New Zealand

Registered Member

Not sure where it is coming from , but, the gills do seem whitish on the inside. It is coming from this one though, because when I had him in the other tank it was not present. I'm not sure if you are just trying to sell me something beastroy or trying to help...but, I am already treating with Metro and PraziPro.

I am a discus hobbyist just like you..... here to help, not to make any profit. I know exactly how you feel right now it happen to me before.

I can guide you on the steps on how to use these meds treatment from day 1 to day 5 and hopefully is not too late.....cause your fish looks pretty beat up from looking at the pics you posted.

I need to go take a shower now and go meet up with kid discus to pick up his 40 gallon free breeder tank @ 3:30 pm.....if you really want to save your fish I will chat with your on my smartphone while taking the bus to kid discus .

Here is a link to this site to make things easier for you and make sure the person on the phone is AL... is not my site .... I wish it was mine ...lol

http://rockymountaindiscus.com/Food_and_medications.htm

Don't feed the discus while under this meds treatment. Since they are already sick and no appetite by feeding them the water will turn bad quick and is a no no.....if I were you I will treat the whole entire tank by removing the gravel and plants....but before you removing everything from the tank. take the discus out first and put them in to a bucket. Save half of the water and then add new water to fill it back up check the parameters to see if is safe. Set the temp to 88. Also make sure you have enough aeration for the discus due to the high temp and low oxygen level. Monitor discus closely at the first dosage of the meds....I really gtg now cya later

Take care and best of luck to save them.

Registered Member

Ok thanks. Paul would you recommend this?

Registered Member

Adding all of these meds at once I mean. I didn't want to take all of them out , but, I can do that. Clean the whole aquarium and refill.

Sandy at the moment I wouldn't advise too much. I'm coming to the opinion that the mucous isn't from the gills as such but is perhaps more from elsewhere on/in the fish. However the salt dips would likely have purged any from the skin to some degree, though they can get into generating more slime coat as the salt is often irritating (we rely on it being irritating btw at salt dip concentrations). So it could be from inside the fish, but you would see it hanging down I'd have thought.

Let me see if I've got this right:
    Tank is 75gal
    Planted?
    6 discus (what size again for all inc sick fish)
    Treated a week with metro and prazi?
    done 3 salt dips

Let me know if I've missed anything. I think we (or me) needs to go and re-evaluate what is happening and what we should do, in the meant time I'd not do anymore salt dips or other treatments. I'll check back in a short while.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

75 Gallon. A couple pieces of driftwood with plants attached. 3 larger discus 3 older (stunted) discus that are smaller. Treated a week or more with PraziPro. Treated with Metro a week also. (I treated with Metro a couple of months ago when I got the 2 new (big) ones, as the one would not eat.) He came around and was doing fine. They had all been eating like pigs and then .... Funny thing is the little stunted ones are fine! Go figure~ Yep did 3 salt dips on the one that had the mucus. He did have a lot coming from the gills, you could see it hanging down. He seemed a little better after the salt dips but, still not eating. I have read some stuff about Discus Plague.... Do you think it would help any to take the fish out and clean the tank thoroughly?

Well I do want you to take the fish out, but I also want you to lift it's gill cover and have a look at the gill lamellae (the branch like things under the cover). Now before you panic this is a lot easier than you think - honest!

Make sure you have good light, sometimes using a torch helps. Net the fish and then lay the net with the fish in on the tank cover or a damp towel. Now carefully lift the gill cover using a finger nail and inspect the gills. You are primarily looking for the colour, but also to see if there is any real build of gunk in there.

Looking at the fish, it has dull eyes so is clearly not well, lets hope we can find out what's wrong and go from there. Also whilst it is out, have a good look at it's eye, see if there is anything odd going on.

Take your time and don't panic, but do work quickly. You have far more time than you realise with a discus out of water. Once you've done your looksee, put it back in the tank.

I'd consider removing the wood with the plants on for now too.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

So what am I looking for exactly....just a white build up instead of pink?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Clay View Post
    So what am I looking for exactly....just a white build up instead of pink?
    White, grey or brown build up, black or dark spots and the colour of the gill membranes themselves, they should be a meat red colour, but a dark pink is fine too. This is why good light is important.

Basically the gills should be clear of anything other than the lamellae and these should be red in colour.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

Ok, will do tonite.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast