AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: tough decision but the right one

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Drew

Default tough decision but the right one

I've been researching discus for months but I hate to admit I don't have a lot of room and only have a 36 gallon tank. Discus are beautiful , amazing fish and I wouldn't want to hinder their lives in any way. I don't want to do something I'm not completely sure of. Insted I will stock my 36 with mostly breeding calvus and compressiceps. I've kept Africans for 10+ years and have got it down to a science. If anyone knows any good African cichlid forums let me know.
    -Drew(skie)

Registered Member

Default Re: tough decision but the right one

Drew, google African Ciclids and see what comes up. If you want Discus, check Craigslist for tank.

I do feel that discus are really hard to keep. Changing water daily? Becoming a slave to the hobby? Keeping the fish in a boring bare bottom tank?

I was really stressful when my discus get sick. Felt bad when they died.

I am new to discus hobby, have experienced two sick outbreak, several fish died. However, I learned new things, and they will help me keep the fish better next time. I can sit there hours watching and feeding the fish. Love each and every strains.

Am I quiting? Not yet, not now.
    Yours truly,
    KK
    Malaysia
    (Currently owns a 76 Gallons + 20 Gallons tanks)

Registered Member

KK, if you have adult discus try adding pool filter sand if it is available in Malaysia, and plants. Get bottom feeders that you like the look of to eat the food on the bottom and around the plants so it is not difficult to siphon. I like Clown Loaches for that. I also have Corys and Geophagus Jurapuri ciclids.(That is not their current species name but that is the common name in the fish trade.) I feed enough so all my bottom feeders are happy. I change 50% 3X weekly. I have a 150 gal tank with two AC110 filters, I almost never siphon the bottom. I think a lot of the non-siphoning is due to the Jurapuri. Of course, if you are growing out Discus keep what I said in mind for when they are adults and stay BB for now.

Thanks Elliots! I am keeping my tank bare bottom at the moment as I find it easier for me to keep the water clean. I do water change once or twice a week. Don't have much time...
    Yours truly,
    KK
    Malaysia
    (Currently owns a 76 Gallons + 20 Gallons tanks)

How much plant cover you haveElliot I want to void siphoning in the big tank. Have no problems doing it in the little tanks but240g is a total thrash to get into, have you got updated current pics pls ?

Drew, I think that's very smart if you can't get a 75g or bigger makes sense to me
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Get rams.. same care as discus.. good practice. . For when u expand
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skie View Post
    I've been researching discus for months but I hate to admit I don't have a lot of room and only have a 36 gallon tank. Discus are beautiful , amazing fish and I wouldn't want to hinder their lives in any way. I don't want to do something I'm not completely sure of. Insted I will stock my 36 with mostly breeding calvus and compressiceps. I've kept Africans for 10+ years and have got it down to a science. If anyone knows any good African cichlid forums let me know.
    This is a great thread I really respect your approach. You did your research and decided that discus are not the right choice for you at this time. Instead of people diving in head first and learning the hard way as most do. As far as other forums I think others will be able to help point you in the right direction ......Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net