ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New/Different foods....

Default New/Different foods....

I think I might have a bit of a picky eater here......

I have tried frozen blood worms, Beefheart, thawed out frozen blood worms, flakes, and my discus won't eat any of it! The only thing he is liking is live black worms. He sucked up just a few bloodworm's but didn't seem too interested......

What are some other things I can try to feed him? I would like to have a variety..... I'm sure it's not good for him just to be eating blackworms!

Also, how can I get him to eat other things?!

Thanks for the input guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Default Re: New/Different foods....

Discus are like children if you feed them McDonalds every day (Live Black worms) they won't eat other foods to balance there diet (greens, pellets and beef heart) Try not feeding the Live food so much and introduce the other foods in the morning when they are most hungry.......Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Nick Klimkowski

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoDiscus View Post
    Discus are like children if you feed them McDonalds every day (Live Black worms) they won't eat other foods to balance there diet (greens, pellets and beef heart) Try not feeding the Live food so much and introduce the other foods in the morning when they are most hungry.......Josie
    Listen to Josie...

Registered Member

Good advice ! Although my discus are not touching anything except Ocean Nutrition Prime reef flakes. ( I tried frozen bloodworms after keeping them without food for a day but that did not help. They eat it and spit it out immediately. Going to see if any other brand helps )

Be patient they will eat when they are hungry. I have three discus that are new and they are adults and they aren't eating a lot yet after three weeks. They are slowly getting the idea that there are varied foods I give them. They are getting the hang of it but slowly.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Katie

I'm still very new here, but would soaking pellets in something like Garlic Guard help? I know it attracks other species to want to eat, but I have never had discus so don't know if it would for them or not.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Stuart

Try beef heart never met a discus that didn't like it