ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Light

Registered Member

Question Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Light

I am about to pull the trigger on a Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Light. I have one last question. I'll be getting the longest 48"-60" version. My tank frame measures about 60 and 1/2" outside frame to outside frame. Am I going to be able to make this work? Will those mounting bars spread wide enough to fit my tank frame?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Light

Quote Originally Posted by 1361 View Post
    I am about to pull the trigger on a Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Light. I have one last question. I'll be getting the longest 48"-60" version. My tank frame measures about 60 and 1/2" outside frame to outside frame. Am I going to be able to make this work? Will those mounting bars spread wide enough to fit my tank frame?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    Going by your measurements of you tank I would have to say no, it wouldn't work since you seem to have that extra 1/2". You can always hang the light from the ceiling however.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

I would get two 36"... The 48" will not work unless you hang it high enough for the light to spread. But a 48-60" fixture WILL spread long enough to cover the 60.5" length.. That is if you don't mind the shadow on the far side of the tank since the light will not cover that space. I used to use a 36" on a 48" just fine. The mounting legs will be long enough to cover that extra space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just took the unit you were referring to out of the box for the first time and measured it at full extension. It stretches to 61.5 inches, so you should be fine with it on 60.5 inch tank

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by adapted View Post
    I just took the unit you were referring to out of the box for the first time and measured it at full extension. It stretches to 61.5 inches, so you should be fine with it on 60.5 inch tank
    There you have it.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

I have one on my 60" 140 gal. I had a hanging kit from my T5 already in place and I used it for the new light. It works great. I keep the light about 6" above the tank and it's not at all in the way for maintenance or feeding.

Registered Member

my 18-24" stretches a lot further than 24" . Sounds like you got your answer on the 60" though.

Registered Member

I pulled the trigger on it. It will be here tomorrow. There is two hoods on it now each with a 24" florescent bulb. I can't imagine this having more shadows at the corners than what I have now. Either way, the power savings and color enhancing capabilities are my two main reasons for upgrading. I was looking seriously at the Finnex Monsters but they don't have an expandable frame. That's was my main deciding factor in the end.

Real Name
    Melanie

Can't wait to hear your review on the USA sat LEDs. I'm torn between those, beam works and also the finnex.

Having played with the 48-60" Current USA unit for 24 hours now, I have to say I'm more than pleased with it. I'm using it for a non-planted 4 foot tank and I don't see any downside to it... well-designed, fairly priced, and a lot more fun than you have any right to expect from aquarium lights.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Have you figured out a way to program it?
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I've figured out how to store memory settings... the next phase will be getting it to work with the timer that goes with it. (I haven't looked at the instructions yet and in my usual caveman style I don't plan to...)

Real Name
    Jacqueline

Just got one yesterday. My discus run and hide when I put on the lightening storm. I think the different sudden changes in the lights scares them. Anyone else have this problem? But I really do love the fixture and think it is real fun to play with.
    Jackie

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackie1258 View Post
    Just got one yesterday. My discus run and hide when I put on the lightening storm. I think the different sudden changes in the lights scares them. Anyone else have this problem? But I really do love the fixture and think it is real fun to play with.
    Mine are fine with the lightening, but I never turn it on.

Timer wise, this fixture only support on/off, so you can use any timer on it.

Registered Member

I ended up purchasing this one from ebay then they went on sale! Go figure! http://www.ebay.com/itm/301145253606...84.m1439.l2649 I have to say it is awesome! I had just a regular fluorescent light and this one is sooooo much brighter. Has somewhat of a blue hue to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast