AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 90% water change

Default 90% water change

Doing a 90% wc wouldn't that kill the BB in the filter? And if aging the water, week that change the ph?

Sent from my SGH-T599V using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Default Re: 90% water change

I suggest you use the search feature. I hate posting that kind of response but this has been asked almost 1 million times. It is always someone new and they always want to argue over the fact that it is the best way to raise discus. Not trying to come across as an *** but I just don't have the energy for this one again.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by adnanosmani View Post
    Doing a 90% wc wouldn't that kill the BB in the filter? And if aging the water, week that change the ph?

No it won't kill your BB. your bacteria live in the filter. Although its numbres will be limited by the amount of ammonia available to them.
    But again this is all you need.

Aging water may or may ot change for pH. This is why we age to know if it will change.

if your ph rises after it is aged then you should always do it. If it slightly drops of stays the same you should be okay
    and

Be

Registered Member

Do your water change correctly and you will have no problem. 1) Turn off your filters. 2)Turn off your heaters. 3) Drain the old water. 4) Add dechlorinator to the remaining water (Like Prime), add enough to treat the entire volume of the tank, not just the amount of water you change. 5) Add the new change water. 6) MAKE SURE YOU RESTART YOUR FILTERS AND RECONNECT YOUR HEATERS. *****ALWAYS CHECK THE pH OF YOUR TANK AND CHANGE WATER BEFORE EVERY CHANGE. If there is a big difference change less water.
    Last edited by Elliots; 04-15-2014 at 06:41 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Scott Earley

Elliott, thanks for your ****** stared section, that's a step I've been missing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Scott Earley
    Atlanta (Decatur), Georgia

Registered Member

Searly, I lost a bunch of fish a while back because I did not check.

Registered Member

I know it may sound weird but I actually try not to have any BB in my tank. I use no filter and just use water changes to keep my water quality up to grow my discus.
    My discus like the tank bare. All I have is a heater and 2 airstones. Very easy to keep clean. It has worked fine for me so far.
    When my discus are bigger I will add bio filtration but then I probably will not do 100% water changes. Now, I do 2 water change a day 100% each and I wipe the tank really clean each time.
    My humble opinion is if you change lots of water how much BB you have is not that important; but how clean your water is could make a difference between whether you will have decease or not, which affects how healthy your discus are. Again, just my own humble opinion.

Real Name
    Dave Becker

So what happens if you get tied up and can't do a water change because of an accident or you suddenly get sick? 3 or 4 days without a water change could
    kill or stunt those fish. In my humble opinion you need some kind of bio filter in there.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by k7prz View Post
    So what happens if you get tied up and can't do a water change because of an accident or you suddenly get sick? 3 or 4 days without a water change could
    kill or stunt those fish. In my humble opinion you need some kind of bio filter in there.
    I have my daughters do it for me sometimes. You are right, it is not forgiving.
    If I need to go out sometimes I will not feed beefheart but only FDBW, and then I do only 1 water change on those days.
    Even with BB which may make the water looking cleaner, all the junks are still in the closed system--the sponge traps all these "stuff" that are hard to get out completely. Without that sponge, my water is much cleaner. BB only converts ammonia to nitrite t0 nitrate but it is not nitrate that the discus are most stressed by, in my humble opinion.
    Even with BB, I still need to do water change to remove all the dissolved organic and other "junk' in the water; they can still get sick or stunned even with BB if I only change my water every 3 to 4 days.
    Without BB, I only have ammonia--no nitrite and nitrate-- and my pH is below 7. I also add prime so ammonia is converted to ammonium and my big water changes keep the dissolved organic low. They seem to like the clean water. Just the way it has been working for me. I know it is weird.
    When they get bigger I will put a bio-filter back in, this is just for growing out.
    Last edited by discus rookie; 04-17-2014 at 12:53 PM.

Some people age the water with air stone and heater in a barrel, and uses that water as they do there wc. What's the purpose of doing that.

Last edited by adnanosmani; 04-18-2014 at 08:53 AM.
    Using Tapatalk

Registered Member treemanone2003's Avatar
    Real Name
    George

Some people age the water with air stone and heater in a barrel, and uses that water as they do there wc. What's the purpose of doing that.

Used in conjunction with a heater and bubbler, it allows for off-gassing and allowing pH levels to become more stable than if you were to just stick it directly in your tank from your tap. Large pH swings could prove fatal and quite often, many will quote that pH stability is more essential of a margin.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

It stabilizes the ph in the water if you have a ph swing (my ph changes from 7.4 to 8.2 in four hours) and eliminates any micro bubbles.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Ok thanks good to know

Using Tapatalk

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elliots View Post
    Do your water change correctly and you will have no problem. 1) Turn off your filters. 2)Turn off your heaters. 3) Drain the old water. 4) Add dechlorinator to the remaining water (Like Prime), add enough to treat the entire volume of the tank, not just the amount of water you change. 5) Add the new change water. 6) MAKE SURE YOU RESTART YOUR FILTERS AND RECONNECT YOUR HEATERS. *****ALWAYS CHECK THE pH OF YOUR TANK AND CHANGE WATER BEFORE EVERY CHANGE. If there is a big difference change less water.
    Do you have to take your discus oout of the tank? And place it back in aftet cleaning it?

You don't need to take the fish out. Just let them in there

Trung.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast