AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: using to much water!

Registered Member

Default using to much water!

I am renting the apartment that i live in and have been doing daily water changes on my discus tank. My landlord pays for our water bill and has mentioned to me that we are using to much water. I have had the discus since Christmas so the landlord has noticed the difference in water usage.

I know that daily water changes are best for my discus, but I do need to keep my landlord happy and cut back on the water usage.

Anybody have any suggestions on how I can cut back on water changes but still keep the discus happy?!.

I was thinking maybe if I added a nitrate filter to the tank I could cut back on daily water changes?

Any thoughts?

Default Re: using to much water!

how many times are you feeding them per day? how large is tank? how many fish are in said tank?
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

According to your past threads you have a 200 liter tank (52 gallons) with five discus and do two 50% WCs a week. Perhaps you upped your WC to daily. You might try every other day at 50% and see how the discus do. I presume you have sub-adult or adult discus?
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Move.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

200L a day is really a lot...
    Yours truly,
    KK
    Malaysia
    (Currently owns a 76 Gallons + 20 Gallons tanks)

You can take other steps to remove waste from the water, like changing filter floss more often and bleach it before reuse. Remove visible waste on the bottom daily with a siphon or electric vac. Purigen can remove waste products before they break down into ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, keeping water cleaner longer. Even if water is not toxic, minerals need replacing- so at least one large (80-90%) wc per week would probably be minimum on an a tank of adults. To grow out juvies you just have to feed more and change more water to keep it clean. With the above method, you will probably need to bleach all tank contents- decorations, hob filters (except bio sponge), rinse bio sponge every few weeks, and deep vac sand/wipe down glass, to keep down diatom even though water tests perfect. This is working for me on a 55g display tank with 6 discus between 4-5". I currently feed three times a day, have 4 times the filtration recommended for the tank, run 400 ml of purigen and a micron filter in a canister, change floss in 2 HOB Filters weekly, and keep air stone(s) running. The micron filter is changed every 2 weeks and the purigen is changed every 3 weeks.

I'm not saying this is the "Optimum" method for growing out fish. But it works to keep a display tank clean and healthy and fish growing without advanced plumbing.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by OC Discus; 04-17-2014 at 12:09 PM.

Registered Member

Ask your landlord how much the additional water is and offer to pay the additional?

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    Move.

-john
    +1

Hard to believe a landlord would even notice that amount, anything in the lease contract?
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 04-17-2014 at 07:24 PM.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member treemanone2003's Avatar
    Real Name
    George

It's winter. I dress heavier therefore more laundry. Don't wanna go to work stinky. Also applies to summer. Sweat a lot those months.

Nick Klimkowski

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    Move.

-john

Why not jus offer to pay the whole water bill
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Just tell him you will pay an extra $20 a month and then do every other day at 50%

Jerry

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by OC Discus View Post
    You can take other steps to remove waste from the water, like changing filter floss more often and bleach it before reuse. Remove visible waste on the bottom daily with a siphon or electric vac. Purigen can remove waste products before they break down into ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, keeping water cleaner longer. Even if water is not toxic, minerals need replacing- so at least one large (80-90%) wc per week would probably be minimum on an a tank of adults. To grow out juvies you just have to feed more and change more water to keep it clean. With the above method, you will probably need to bleach all tank contents- decorations, hob filters (except bio sponge), rinse bio sponge every few weeks, and deep vac sand/wipe down glass, to keep down diatom even though water tests perfect. This is working for me on a 55g display tank with 6 discus between 4-5". I currently feed three times a day, have 4 times the filtration recommended for the tank, run 400 ml of purigen and a micron filter in a canister, change floss in 2 HOB Filters weekly, and keep air stone(s) running. The micron filter is changed every 2 weeks and the purigen is changed every 3 weeks.

I'm not saying this is the "Optimum" method for growing out fish. But it works to keep a display tank clean and healthy and fish growing without advanced plumbing.

Enjoy.
    Thank you oc discus for your helpful reply.

Pay for the water bill yourself like the rest of us. Problem solved

Enviado desde mi SM-T310 mediante Tapatalk

Yeah, paying the bill should solve the conflict.
    Yours truly,
    KK
    Malaysia
    (Currently owns a 76 Gallons + 20 Gallons tanks)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast