ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Will this work for auto WCs?

Default Will this work for auto WCs?

http://genesisreefsystems.com/produc...hange-systems/

Provided that I install it correctly, will this system work?

Default Re: Will this work for auto WCs?

Should add this is for a 120 gallon display tank with a 40 gallon sump...barebottom

Real Name
    Ricardo

it seems that this product will do small water changes through out the day. You would still need to do bottom cleaning yourself. Seems pretty automated.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Default Will this work for auto WCs?

Yeah I still plan on vaccuming reguarly but if I set it to do let's say a 80-100 gallon WC daily is that enough to keep my discus happy and healthy? Will it provide the same results as a Manual 50% waterchange daily?
    Last edited by Discusdude7; 04-18-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Discusdude7 View Post
    Yeah I still plan on vaccuming reguarly but if I set it to do let's say a 80-100 gallon WC daily is that enough to keep my discus happy and healthy? Will it provide the same results as a Manual 50% waterchange daily?
    I can honestly not tell you. My speculation would be that this system wouldn't be as effective as doing a manual water change, or an automated large water change at once. I am on the fence about water changes that perform on an extended period of time. It just seems that the new water gets diluted too quickly to make a difference. This is solely my un-educated guess here so please take it with a grain of salt. I have always done massive daily water changes in the past.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I can honestly not tell you. My speculation would be that this system wouldn't be as effective as doing a manual water change, or an automated large water change at once. I am on the fence about water changes that perform on an extended period of time. It just seems that the new water gets diluted too quickly to make a difference. This is solely my un-educated guess here so please take it with a grain of salt. I have always done massive daily water changes in the past.
    Thank you. Anyone else want to chime in?
    Well here is how it works:
    You can program it do up a 99 gallon water change daily. Over the course of a day the system will drain a gallon of water and add one, it will then repeat this 99 times. There are two one gallon reservoirs and one has fresh water and the other has the dirty water (which then goes into your waste line I think). There is a peice of tubing connected from the aging barrel to the reservoir with fresh water and when that fresh water is used up water from the aging barrel is pumped Into the reservoir again.

Real Name
    Shane Sims

The mounting and maintenance of the system seems like it would be a pain. Also, the Renew system will take a LOT more water to match a straight manual 50% water change that you do on your own. This is because every time you add a new gallon, it gets diluted by all of the existing tank water before the next gallon is removed. So if you are adding 99 gallons in a day, you are really only removing a fraction of that amount in old water. Whereas when you do your own water change, you know exactly how old all of the water coming out is.
    -Shane

Discus do it bare bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxDiscus View Post
    The mounting and maintenance of the system seems like it would be a pain. Also, the Renew system will take a LOT more water to match a straight manual 50% water change that you do on your own. This is because every time you add a new gallon, it gets diluted by all of the existing tank water before the next gallon is removed. So if you are adding 99 gallons in a day, you are really only removing a fraction of that amount in old water. Whereas when you do your own water change, you know exactly how old all of the water coming out is.
    Thank you.