AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: T - minus 24 hours and counting... not too late for some changes

Default T - minus 24 hours and counting... not too late for some changes

I'm picking up seven adult wilds at the airport tomorrow afternoon -- first discus for me in over a decade -- and I have a couple of questions about acclimation.

1. The tank (75 gallon, newly setup, no other fish) is currently at pH 6.2, which is what it was straight out of the tap. It's also very soft, about 2 on both KH and GH scales. The seller indicated that the fish have been living in relatively high pH water --around 8 -- but also very soft.

I would liike to match their current conditions at the seller's location, at least initially.. is this something sodium bicarbonate could safely do? I have some buffering stuff from Seachem but it will only get the water up to about 6.75.

2. How helpful is it for wilds to have a layer of sand beneath them in order to settle in more easily? I have a lot of driftwood the tank but it's otherwise bare bottom. I prefer bare bottom for cleaning but I could still make a Home depot run and give them a friendlier substrate if experienced wilds keepers recommend it.

Thanks...
    Last edited by adapted; 04-21-2014 at 06:33 PM.

Default Re: T - minus 24 hours and counting... not too late for some changes

I wouldn't mess with the PH. I don't mess with mine whether it is for Domestics or Wilds. I have never had an issue with this. Keep in mind that the PH in the bag when they arrive will not be the same as it was at the sellers. The PH should drop from that due to the waste after 18 to 24 hours in the bag.

I keep a layer of sand in my wild tanks with one exception. I don't have sand in my QT tank. A sandy bottom is what is natural to them and therefore they are more comfortable with it. A thin layer should not make cleaning the tank anymore difficult for you.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Thanks Larry... I'm going to go buy a bag of pool filter sand right now and make the new residents just a little bit happier.

The pH is up to 6.7 now... the water folks must have switched from their winter water mode because a week ago pH at the tap was 8.3. I'm aging the water in the tank now and will be adding cycled filters (2 Ac110's and a sponge or two) a couple of hours before the fish go in.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I would not mess with the ph either based on the reasons Larry said. I do have a very thin layer of sand in my QT mainly due to the bottom is not painted. I do not find it a hassle to clean. You can see how thin the sand is in this video.

Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Thanks Pat... that IS a thin layer....that's what I'm going to aim for... one bag should do it. (You have some feisty fish!)

Just to update this thread, the fish arrived in water that was slightly higher in pH and slightly warmer than my tank. This is probably a real rarity; the main reason was they only spent about 6 hours in the shipping carton.) But the differences were small and I basically plopped and droppped. The fish sized up their new home for a few minutes, picked out favorite spots, and went to sleep a few minutes after I turned the Cloudy Moonlight LED on.
    Last edited by adapted; 04-26-2014 at 06:21 AM.

Congrats!!!! Can't wait to see them. I got two huge Nahmuunda Red today too and wilds are just so freaking exciting! I get 7 more tefe in two weeks, I'm getting very happy and am excited to watch yours
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by musicmarn1 View Post
    Congrats!!!! Can't wait to see them. I got two huge Nahmuunda Red today too and wilds are just so freaking exciting! I get 7 more tefe in two weeks, I'm getting very happy and am excited to watch yours
    http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/mc...5f6f5.jpg.html

http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/mc...99c04.jpg.html

... they make a 75 gallon tank look awfully small... the good news is they'll be moving to a 120 in about two weeks.
    Last edited by adapted; 04-25-2014 at 11:07 PM.

Woah!! Beautiful!! You must be so pleased!!
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by adapted View Post
    http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/mc...5f6f5.jpg.html

http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/mc...99c04.jpg.html

... they make a 75 gallon tank look awfully small... the good news is they'll be moving to a 120 in about two weeks.
    Holly, Molly! Those are huge!

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com