ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Revenue ads (google adsense, skimlinks, and others)

Exclamation Revenue ads (google adsense, skimlinks, and others)

Hello all,
    The past few months I have been test marketing Google adsense on the forum. The ads were shown to unregistered or unlogged in members... Ads were placed 2 per thread, one to the side of the first post in the thread.. the other was placed to the side of the last post in the thread. After playing around with this ad source for a while now I am pretty comfortable with the way the system works. What this means is I am going to be expanding it through out SimplyDiscus. Its not an easy decision for me, something I need to do here. The ads will start becoming visible to registered members as of today. I will try my best to make the ads as unobtrusive as I can.

I have started with the Buy, sell, trade sections as I have repeated suggested members that sell there donate to the forum and unfortunately that rarely happens. This way at least some funds may come back to the forum. I have also set the ads to show in the "talking to me section of the forum" As I go forward I will evaluate what other areas to use them....

Short FAQ:
    1) How do these ads work?... The forum recieves funds when you visit those ad sites..more info here..
    http://www.ehow.com/info_8340525_goo...nse-works.html

2) Who will see these ads? ... all registered users, non-registered users, and unlogged in users.

3) Who will not see these ads?... Admins, Moderators, Sponsors, Premium Subscribers (Homesteaders, Silver members, Gold members, and Platinum members... info on these subscriptions is here...http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?104050

4) Why are these ads being implimented?... To generate funds for this website. Many websites use this method.

Questions may be directed to me by Pm.

Thank you,
    Al Sabetta
    SimplyDiscus
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 04-22-2014 at 10:14 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Exclamation Re: Test Marketing Google ad sense on the forum.. and now implimenting

Hello again everyone. Just a quick note to tell you that after careful consideration, I have opted to impliment the google adsense program here through out the forum. I'm just not getting the kind of support I need to see for the forum...and this method of generating funds is an industry standard on websites and forums. To those of you that have supported the forum in past, I do thank you immensely!

Registered members and unregistered members will see Google ads in the forum at various locations... I will continue to try and make these as unobtrusive as possible.

Users that belong to the groups of Admins, Moderators, Sponsors, Premium Subscribers (Homesteaders, Silver members, Gold members, and Platinum members will not see ads... Information on these subscriptions is here...http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?104050

If anyone finds these ads to be annoying or intrusive, you have my apologies... I have avoided this for years.. but can't any longer. You may remove these ads by becoming a premium subscriber (silver,homesteader,gold,platinum)

As a side note, You may also notice that I removed the affiliate banners on the forum. I had hoped that these would generate revenue, but they are pretty much worthless in that capacity on Simply at this point.. I will instead continue to seek advertisers that I can build a direct relationship with.

Sincerely,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Default Re: Revenue ads (google adsense, skimlinks, and others)

Hello all,
    Just a notice here to everyone that I have implimented SkimLinks here at SimplyDiscus as well as Google adsense. The way it works is you may be reading a thread and come across a word like a specific make of camera. Skimlinks will then turn that into a link to a seller of the cameras or MFg's website. Not sure it will be very effective here as we don't talk much about specific gear, but since the affiliate banners were useless, I thought I'd give these a try.

Should functions same as the google ads...

Users that belong to the groups of Admins, Moderators, Sponsors, Premium Subscribers (Homesteaders, Silver members, Gold members, and Platinum members will not see ads... Information on these subscriptions is here...http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?104050

Registered and unregistered members will see the links.

Thanks in advance for your understanding.

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Default Re: Revenue ads (google adsense, skimlinks, and others)

Hi All,
    Well I have officially joined the "I HATE AMAZON.COM" group. After busting my rump to set up the Library section here with Amazon's Codes and using their program. I was emailed today the following...

Hello,

The Amazon.com Associates program cannot be used in conjunction with any online auction, classified, or forum sites. Unfortunately, Im not able to approve your application.

We hope to see you again soon.
    Its a week late in coming AND WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO KNOW BEFORE I SPENT THE DAY SETTING EVERYTHING UP! and no where did they say when I applied that Forums sites were not welcome to the program and if it did its in an obscure small print somewhere. So bottom line is I removed the library section that linked back to Amazon.

Chalk it up to a waste of my time in trying to work with a company like Amazon in the first place. THANK YOU VERY MUCH AMAZON FOR WASTING MY TIME. !

Sorry all.

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com