AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NADA 2014 - WHO IS BRINGING FISH

Default NADA 2014 - WHO IS BRINGING FISH

TWO MONTHS AWAY AND COUNTING

GOT DISCUS???

So we are now down to the two month mark. We have told you how great the Show is going to be. We have told you about the great friends you will find at the Show. We have told you about the great attractions Austin has to offer. We have told you how sorry you will be if you miss this Show. Now let me tell you about a way to make the Show even better, if that is really possible, lol.

Bringing some of you Discus and entering them in the Show will absolutely make the experience even that much better for you. I'm telling you this from personal experience. My first fish show was the NADA 2010 Show in Dallas. John and Jim both talked me into bringing a discus to the Show. I was very hesitant since I was a rookie at discus keeping but they convinced me anyways and I'm very glad they did. Nope, my discus didn't win an award but that didn't matter. I was a participant and that really made me feel connected. Didn't hurt that my discus brought the highest bid at the Auction that Sunday, lol. At the 2012 Show Tara brought her first Discus entry and hers was indeed a winner so it can be done and this was before she became an importer.

So give it some thought. Have some doubts then get with one of us and lets talk about it. We will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

If you already know you are going to be bringing Discus to the Show and haven't already let one of us know then now is the time to give us a shout. You don't have to commit to a final number at this time but we would like to get a feel for who is bringing fish and a rough count of how many. We certainly want to make sure we have enough tanks for everyone that wants to participate and so this info will be very helpful for us.

So I'm planning on bringing 4 Wilds this year. What are you bringing??
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Default Re: NADA 2014 - WHO IS BRINGING FISH

Protocol for traveling with discus would be very helpful or a link to that here what minimum size do you suggest? Do we do our own water changes? I'm just asking because it crossed my mind to bring my blue scorpion female 6" but I'm scared to travel with her as I'm a rookie
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

You driving or flying?

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

If you are driving then there are several options. You could bag them just as if you were going to ship but my favorite way to travel in the car with adult discus is in 5 gallon buckets. I have used buckets on trips up to 12 hours. Out to Austin will be close to 15 this time. I've never done anything more than fill the bucket about 1/3 full will clean stored water and put the discus in and top on. No heat and no air. This trip I am considering a battery powered pump and air stone and maybe a converter and a 25 watt heater. I think I may give the heater a trial run in a bucket for a day or so and see how well I can regulate the water temp. I usually put two adults per bucket but since they will be for the Show I will put 1 per bucket so they don't mess with each other, lol. For the Show they need to be adults and 5 1/2 to 6" would be the minimum size I would bring. Discus travel VERY well so don't let that hold you back. As far as water changes are concerned, yes you will have to do you own change. The Show Staff will have heated clean water available for the change.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Good advice Larry. I have hauled them in buckets and in large ice chest. I have used power inverters with air pumps and without.

I have seen a super nice 4 inch fish win at a show before so don't let small size stop you from bringing a nice fish.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

Well it looks like I will finally be able to show some fish. After years of developing a judging program it finally looks like we have enough judges that I can show for once. Man am I looking forward to it. I need to think about it but will probably show 4 to 6 fish.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

Real Name
    Matt

No fish for me this year. I'll have to live vicariously through everyone else!
    -Matt

Registered Member

I live in Canada. I am only asking for future reference if you don't mind.
    I cannot feed my fish during the whole show, and I cannot change their water during the show hours I suppose, is that right?
    What if they get sick due to different water parameters and such during the show? Do I just leave them as is?
    Can i provide my own filter or do I need to use whatever is provided?
    Do people usually auction their discus off at the end of the show instead of bringing them back home?
    What do people usually do coming to the show from out of the US?
    Sorry for all the questions.

Quote Originally Posted by discus rookie View Post
    I cannot feed my fish during the whole show, and I cannot change their water during the show hours I suppose, is that right?
    nope.. you can do as you like. we supplied water.. you can change or not change .. feed or not feed your fish..

What if they get sick due to different water parameters and such during the show? Do I just leave them as is?
    fish are tougher then you think when it comes to water parameters.. many of us here.. drop and plop fish that are shipped to our house all the time.. that means we just take fish out of bag and drop it into their new tank.. if there is a problem it is usually something other than just the different water parameters..

Can i provide my own filter or do I need to use whatever is provided?
    yes.. you can.. we will have heater, water, sponge, tank.. anything more or less is up to you.

Do people usually auction their discus off at the end of the show instead of bringing them back home?
    some do.. some don't.. it depends on the owner, and if or if not they want to bring fish back.. many will bring back NEW FISH.. that did not bring any to start

What do people usually do coming to the show from out of the US?
    well, they get a one of the hotel rooms, check in.. go STRAIGHT!!! to the fish room.. look at the fish.. eat.. drink.. look at the fish.. drink.. drink more.. hang out, meet other discus people.. drink, eat, talk discus with people that actually like to talk about discus, look at discus.. REPEAT

basically its a blast!! if you can make it
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

Thanks Skip.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    You driving or flying?

-john
    Can you fly with a discus in a carry on any more?! Lol! I would drive if flying was risky. I probably won't bring her so I can learn for next year, but Larry did a GREAT job making me feel like I could! She would not win but she would not get laughed at for sure. Can't wait to see your fish in person and learn from you John

Also my discus all learned to be around a lot of dogs....but I saw some freak out at first, how are service dogs received there and will it freak out the fish? I have my own service dog I only take her when I travel since I can be painful and get lost and forget stuff, lock myself out of my car, hotel room etc lol!

So traveling is where I use those dogs, but I don't want to scare the fish or make it difficult to socialize and I can't decide if I can manage without her, lower stress environments are easier on me - at home I don't use her that way, much unless a flare up....anyway wanted to check first. A fish and a dog and a woman, on their way to Austin !
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

My fish don't seem to mind dogs. Since it is a service dog I think you can take it anywhere you want. As far as flying with fish you would have to contact the individual airlines and the TSA. Personally I drive almost everywhere.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

ok great info thanks John, figured if you had a disaster or experience with SD's you would know she is allowed anywhere but fish might not appreciate that and i didnt want someone's pride and joy going splat on the tank when a dog walks past, i could do without that as my debut to discus shows ! roflmao
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Kraig had his dog at the Atlanta 2012 show and the hotel is pet friendly so that is always a plus! No fish were spooked by him... To set your mind at easy. I think someone else did also but I can not remember who...

I personally can not wait for the show!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOS Crew Texas
    Show Committee for NADA 2014 AUSTIN TX

I just got the ok me and the wife will be going to the nada just gotta figure out if and what fish I'm going to take

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast