AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the proper quarantine process

Default Re: What is the proper quarantine process

A good scale is important to measure the meds by weight and not volume. Good scales aren't that expensive. I use reconstitued RO water for my quarantine tanks.
    1. Metronidazole at .50 mg. per 10 gallons (mixing Metric & Imperial measuring here) in a dedicated quarantine tank. No gravel.
    2) Double strength PraziPro (Praziquantel)
    3) Medicated Turkey heart food w/Metronidazole (assuming they're eating)
    4) Alternate with Metronidazole flake and De-Worming Flake (every other day on the De-Worming flake). The De-Worming flake has Fenbendazole/Panacur. The medicated flake is from Angels Plus.
    5) 50% water changes every few days, clean filters.
    6) I generally do this for 2-3 weeks, but I can see that many others do this for 4-6 weeks.

Your fish look healty though the Turqs may be a little stunted. Generally only buy the little guys when they have proportionately small eyes compared to their bodies as the eyes continue to grow even though the rest of the fish may not. It's very satisfying to buy small fish and raise them into beautiful big fish.

Good luck!
    Last edited by DISCUS STU; 06-09-2014 at 04:38 PM.

Registered Member

Thank you, Discus STU for the information. I have Metro, Prazi and Levamisole on hand and I am treating with these 2 medicines. I just got a batch of wilds

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    great pics.. !

but they are starting to show some small signs of not enough water changes..

you should up them to daily..

also.. its not quarantine when you add them to a tank with existing fish.. and if you do use meds, you have to be a little bit more careful when tank is full of other fish and plants.. and substrate..

How can you tell that the water needs to get changed more? What am I not seeing ? Please tell I am interested

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12