AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: A little late but better than never...Hi

Registered Member

Default A little late but better than never...Hi

Hello, my name is John and I am in the process of setting up my second discuss tank in as many months. I got into keeping fish when i was a teenager for about 6 years. Took a brake and got back into it about 15 years ago. Raised a African cichlid for 14 years then he past about three months ago. I then decided to go into Discus shortly after. Read everything I could and decided on buying them from Hans. I had planned to go with 6 then actually bought 8. That was just over a month ago.

Currently they all reside in a 30 gallon tank with: glass bottom, heater and Fluval 306. (Yes I know this is not recommended) I do water changes once/twice day or every two days depending (25-75%) on the fish and their behavior. Since they are in such a small tank I test the water twice a day. I use AmGuard as well. And I use Prime with the water changes. I am also cycling a 60 gallon currently to move the fish to within a week or when the tank is done cycling.(This has been an adventure and requires a separtae post.)

I know there is a rule of 1 fish per ten gallons but these guys are only 2.5 inches and seem pretty happy. But, I can't wait to get them into the 60 so I can relax a little. They all do have a great appetite and eat well and are growing. I feed my Discus Cobalt flakes and Hans beef heart (lean ground beef). I plan to add Cobalt pellets soon.

The 30 gallon has a Fluval 306 and a 150 watt heater - glass bottom tank with paper on the bottom (outside) so they stop looking at themselves plus an 8 inch air stone. The 60 has two Fluval 306 and two 150 watt heaters and two 6 inch air stones (paper on the bottom). I don't plan to do more than glass bottom tanks and all I plan to keep are discus. When these fish are moved I probably will go to Hans and pick up another set of discus (4) and keep them in the 30, after its cycled.

Both tanks are kept at 84 degrees with a PH of 7.4. I use water straight out the tap with Prime for conditioner. I always check the temperature before filling the tanks.
    Since the 60 gallon is cycling (more on that in another post) it is higher than .04 ppm. It comes down and I add more ammonia to keep the bacteria fed until it comes down in 24 hours. Nitrite has never registered in neither tank. Nitrite is 0 in the 30 and 2ppm in the 60. From the numbers I think the 30 crashed and I just managing the ammonia levels. PH is steady.

Short term my goal is to get these guys into the 60 after its cycled. Long term is to keep these Discus for a good long time. Who knows maybe someday I be able to breed a pair but not necessary. That will mean an additional tank or two.

By the way Hans has a great setup, discus and his service is awesome.

Default Re: A little late but better than never...Hi

You are going about it the hard way. Why didn't you just move the Fluval from the 30g to the 60g? You could have cycled the second Fluval on the 60g with cycled filter. A few extra water changes and you would have been gold and your fish would be happy and less crowded. You could in theory still do this if you clean out the new Fluvals and the tank. Also I do not find there is any reason to cycle a tank as long as I do huge water changes daily. Tank cycles while the fish are in there. The water changes are the key.

Mishka
    "No I am not sending you that video! Although cash is king!"
    ~SOS California Crew~

Real Name
    Ricardo

agree with Mishka 100% Your filter in the 30g seems to be cycled, you could have easily just transferred that over and monitored the parameters for a few days.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Hi Chaoslite. Thanks for the insight. I wanted to try a fish less cycle in the 60. However that was my plan B should things go sour in the 30. Hence the reason for using the same equipment in both tanks. I like the concept of modular interchangeable equipment. By the way the fish less cycle has become the project from hell. But thats for another post.

I understand wanting to try something different I do, but I would do what is better for the fry and move them to the 60g. Then you can try the project on the 30g.

Mishka
    "No I am not sending you that video! Although cash is king!"
    ~SOS California Crew~

Registered Members

I guess I was brave as I started my first discus tank had running 2 day's not cycled ordered 8 of Kenny's discus uncycled tank had ordered pure from a sponsor on this site had them 1 week before fish showed up actually didn't even do daily water changes at beginning properly every 2 day's and everything went flawless rank was cycled in about 1 week

Registered Member

my 30 was going thru nitrate rage, my 60 gallon just cycled in time. All 8 discus residing in the 60. They are spooked by the new environment but safer. Had to change the water in the 30 twice a day 50% to keep things safe for the discus. Just glad i have 2 tanks.