ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo Contest - Please read

Default Re: Photo Contest - Please read

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Cool idea. I love photo assigments. I need to get my discus in soon! Does the deadline coincide with the end of the month for each theme?
    Hi Ricardo, we are looking to have submissions for the first 10 days of the month and then we will close the submission period so we can set up the poll.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    but what if someone has a non discus biotope with an epic manzanita piece???
    miscellaneous? then or non-discus.

Lets play it by ear and see how the first few months go contest wise.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Exciting! Looking forward to the pictures.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3
    Judi

Real Name
    Jacklyn

10-4 I shall refrain from entering my non discus tanks until I am told to...lol
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi Ricardo, we are looking to have submissions for the first 10 days of the month and then we will close the submission period so we can set up the poll.

-al
    Good to know. May I suggest 2 weeks of entry (1-15) and second half for polling? (16-31) just to make it easier on you guys? Just a suggestion. To me, it doesn't matter one way or the other.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Good to know. May I suggest 2 weeks of entry (1-15) and second half for polling? (16-31) just to make it easier on you guys? Just a suggestion. To me, it doesn't matter one way or the other.

announced? on 32?
    Last edited by rdiscus; 04-30-2014 at 06:09 PM.
    Ryan

Looking forward to the pics

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Thanks Rick, lets see how the first couple of months go with the timeline defined in the first post. It can always be tweaked a bit if needed.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

What a cool idea ....Cant wait to see all the great photos.....Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Nice... anyway to keep Matt out of this? He will just win every-time with his photography skills... lol JK... this will be fun...

MAN... I really need a DSLR camera now.

I hate my smartphone camera.

Real Name
    Ricardo

For all of those kicking themselves about not having a DSLR camera, I will tell you that right now is one of the best times to buy an entry level camera. You have hundreds of models out there currently that are so underpriced because of the competitiveness that is going on with all the major brand names.

For instance, I shoot with a lot of Sony gear. I have an Nex6, a55, a77, and a99. When I purchased the a77 and a lens I bought it for $1700. At that time, this was a steal! That camera is not that old, it was released in 2011. Now, you can pick up that camera for roughly $400-$600! That is a significant mark down.

So, if you are currently in the market for gear, just do your research and you can definitely pick something up for cheap that isn't such a "cheap" camera. Last years bells and whistles cameras are selling for less than half of the cost this year.

Additionally, the top 3 brands are Canon, Nikon, and Sony, however, Pentax, Olympus Fuji and Panasonic also have great cameras. I have shot with almost all brands and I will tell you that they all have pros and cons. For an entry level person, every single camera on the market will have what they need and more. If you start getting to the hobbyist, or semi-pro, or even pro level, you start noticing some companies flaws and strenghths.

If anyone has questions please feel free to contact me, or we can start a thread here on SD.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member treemanone2003's Avatar
    Real Name
    George

For all of those kicking themselves about not having a DSLR camera, I will tell you that right now is one of the best times to buy an entry level camera. You have hundreds of models out there currently that are so underpriced because of the competitiveness that is going on with all the major brand names.

For instance, I shoot with a lot of Sony gear. I have an Nex6, a55, a77, and a99. When I purchased the a77 and a lens I bought it for $1700. At that time, this was a steal! That camera is not that old, it was released in 2011. Now, you can pick up that camera for roughly $400-$600! That is a significant mark down.

So, if you are currently in the market for gear, just do your research and you can definitely pick something up for cheap that isn't such a "cheap" camera. Last years bells and whistles cameras are selling for less than half of the cost this year.

Additionally, the top 3 brands are Canon, Nikon, and Sony, however, Pentax, Olympus Fuji and Panasonic also have great cameras. I have shot with almost all brands and I will tell you that they all have pros and cons. For an entry level person, every single camera on the market will have what they need and more. If you start getting to the hobbyist, or semi-pro, or even pro level, you start noticing some companies flaws and strenghths.

If anyone has questions please feel free to contact me, or we can start a thread here on SD.
    This is great info you have made available to the rest of the members !! Something I wouldn't have thought of to express, but I couldn't agree more. I'm still on the learning side of the amateur level of the photography hobby, but I chose a higher end entry level piece as my first investment. And as stated, the more involved one becomes, the more you learn off all the +/- things that make each one different.

I've always been a Nikon fan, and my choice when they were new was the d5100. After all the gadgets etc, I was right around the $1800 area as well. Now you can get that same model around $800-$900. I couldn't tell anyone about fstop or shutter speed but I know why the flash doesn't work in certain modes.

All the entry level "point, click, and shoot" cameras still take awesome photos. No doubt about that. And most of them have quite a bit of the same functions and editing software available as the pricier units do so don't be discourage about giving it your best "shot". Thanks again for sharing.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

I think this is a horrible idea, clearly very biased toward people with the ability to take pictures, LOL. How about best discus in crayon freestyle by a grandchild?
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
    Nice... anyway to keep Matt out of this? He will just win every-time with his photography skills... lol JK... this will be fun...
    Haha hey now, there are a good number of people posting now that could give me a run for my money. Pat, Josie, and many others have since really improved and are taking beautiful photos now! Plus with only a single discus tank running right now I won't be entering many categories.

I like the idea. Always good to see the pictures!
    -Matt

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast