AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Photo Contest - Please read

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Photo Contest - Please read

Keith, perhaps one of the themes should be cell phone pictures. Puts many of us on a level playing field.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Larry

Tomorrow it starts you may start submitting your photos to photo@simplydiscus.com
    Last edited by jaykne; 04-30-2014 at 11:21 PM.
    Larry
    Proud member of the SDT Crew Florida
    Great ways to donate to SimplyDiscus and Fund Raisers !!!
    http://www.cafepress.com/simply_discus
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/bppl_donate.php
    http://aquaticsuppliers.com/Freeze-dried-foods_c2.htm

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    For all of those kicking themselves about not having a DSLR camera, I will tell you that right now is one of the best times to buy an entry level camera. You have hundreds of models out there currently that are so underpriced because of the competitiveness that is going on with all the major brand names.

For instance, I shoot with a lot of Sony gear. I have an Nex6, a55, a77, and a99. When I purchased the a77 and a lens I bought it for $1700. At that time, this was a steal! That camera is not that old, it was released in 2011. Now, you can pick up that camera for roughly $400-$600! That is a significant mark down.

So, if you are currently in the market for gear, just do your research and you can definitely pick something up for cheap that isn't such a "cheap" camera. Last years bells and whistles cameras are selling for less than half of the cost this year.

Additionally, the top 3 brands are Canon, Nikon, and Sony, however, Pentax, Olympus Fuji and Panasonic also have great cameras. I have shot with almost all brands and I will tell you that they all have pros and cons. For an entry level person, every single camera on the market will have what they need and more. If you start getting to the hobbyist, or semi-pro, or even pro level, you start noticing some companies flaws and strenghths.

If anyone has questions please feel free to contact me, or we can start a thread here on SD.
    Quote Originally Posted by treemanone2003 View Post
    This is great info you have made available to the rest of the members !! Something I wouldn't have thought of to express, but I couldn't agree more. I'm still on the learning side of the amateur level of the photography hobby, but I chose a higher end entry level piece as my first investment. And as stated, the more involved one becomes, the more you learn off all the +/- things that make each one different.

I've always been a Nikon fan, and my choice when they were new was the d5100. After all the gadgets etc, I was right around the $1800 area as well. Now you can get that same model around $800-$900. I couldn't tell anyone about fstop or shutter speed but I know why the flash doesn't work in certain modes.

All the entry level "point, click, and shoot" cameras still take awesome photos. No doubt about that. And most of them have quite a bit of the same functions and editing software available as the pricier units do so don't be discourage about giving it your best "shot". Thanks again for sharing.
    George, I hope you don't mind that I used your quote to start off This thread. Let me know if that is fine.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Keith, perhaps one of the themes should be cell phone pictures. Puts many of us on a level playing field.
    Pat
    Would there be a flip phone subcategory?
    President - North American Discus Association

Registered Member treemanone2003's Avatar
    Real Name
    George

George, I hope you don't mind that I used your quote to start off This thread. Let me know if that is fine.
    Not at all my friend. I'm honored and appreciate that you're willing to teach/help all of us learn.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by CozyKeith View Post
    Would there be a flip phone subcategory?
    Time to upgrade Keith

Real Name
    Ricardo

For all of those kicking themselves about not having a DSLR camera, I will tell you that right now is one of the best times to buy an entry level camera. You have hundreds of models out there currently that are so underpriced because of the competitiveness that is going on with all the major brand names.

For instance, I shoot with a lot of Sony gear. I have an Nex6, a55, a77, and a99. When I purchased the a77 and a lens I bought it for $1700. At that time, this was a steal! That camera is not that old, it was released in 2011. Now, you can pick up that camera for roughly $400-$600! That is a significant mark down.

So, if you are currently in the market for gear, just do your research and you can definitely pick something up for cheap that isn't such a "cheap" camera. Last years bells and whistles cameras are selling for less than half of the cost this year.

Additionally, the top 3 brands are Canon, Nikon, and Sony, however, Pentax, Olympus Fuji and Panasonic also have great cameras. I have shot with almost all brands and I will tell you that they all have pros and cons. For an entry level person, every single camera on the market will have what they need and more. If you start getting to the hobbyist, or semi-pro, or even pro level, you start noticing some companies flaws and strenghths.

If anyone has questions please feel free to contact me, or we can start a thread here on SD.
    Time to upgrade Keith

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Larry

Time to upgrade Keith
    I loved my flip phone lol still don't use 90% of the things on my new smart phone.
    Larry
    Proud member of the SDT Crew Florida
    Great ways to donate to SimplyDiscus and Fund Raisers !!!
    http://www.cafepress.com/simply_discus
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/bppl_donate.php
    http://aquaticsuppliers.com/Freeze-dried-foods_c2.htm

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

"Dear, what would you think of me buying a good camera to take pictures of the grandkids?"
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by CozyKeith View Post
    "Dear, what would you think of me buying a good camera to take pictures of the grandkids?"
    That's the ticket Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Haha hey now, there are a good number of people posting now that could give me a run for my money. Pat, Josie, and many others have since really improved and are taking beautiful photos now! Plus with only a single discus tank running right now I won't be entering many categories.

I like the idea. Always good to see the pictures!
    Regardless if you have one tank or not... I look forward to seeing your work posted here with all the contestant. Hopefully I can get a better camera to also enter in what little I have left.

I will get a Canon camera soon after I finish building my small discus hatchery.

$600 is my budget since I am a noob with camera.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by beastroy View Post
    I will get a Canon camera soon after I finish building my small discus hatchery.

$600 is my budget since I am a noob with camera.
    Please visit This thread

Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    Would sure love to see some pictures of all them Rays Sean. And that new discus tank you need to get up and running.
    I can get plenty of pics of rays as for the discus tank that might disappoint you
    My wife names my fish

LOL. How about best discus in crayon freestyle by a grandchild?

Hey Keith,
    Thats actually not a bad idea for another thread...something I will think about.. a Thread where members can submit the pics their kids draw of discus etc.. submissions with first name and age. I like it alot... I will give it some serious thought.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast