AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Camera gear / tips and tricks / tutorials

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Camera gear / tips and tricks / tutorials

All is good here George. Please share and ask when you get home

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member treemanone2003's Avatar
    Real Name
    George

I will have to give it another go tomorrow as my uncooperative desktop is just that. If it doesn't run on gas, diesel, or two-stroke mix, it usually gets tossed out the third floor window. Good thing I checked to see if the neighbor was home. The computer is still inside.

Real Name
    Ricardo

One of the main questions I get asked a lot is, "what camera should I buy?". You must understand that this is a very loaded question.

With this particular topic I may seem more vague than in previous responses. The reason for doing this is that I hate feeling like I am pushing a certain brand. It just so happens that I own Sony gear, as I have previously mentioned, but I am in no way, telling people to go out and buy a Sony because I have one.

All of the current camera manufacturers have great entry level cameras. In all fairness, making an entry level camera isn't that difficult for the major brands. They don't really focus their attention too much in entry level bodies, rather, the amature photographer, the semi-pro, and professional. That is where their bread and butter USE to be. However, recently, I don't mean weeks here though, there has been a large amount of people making the transition to more traditional SLR type bodies. The reason? Cell phone pictures. Many people and one point or the other realize the limitations of their phones and decide to get an entry level camera. For this reason, many manufacturers have been pumping out more entry level stuff at very, very competitive prices.

My advice on the subject? Stay away from the latest entry level cameras. Most of those are sold in a "kit" which means it is sold with a lens, and that lens will make the whole package a lot more expensive. A large amount of the time, that lens is usually not great. There are exceptions, and I actually own one of the best exception kit lens in my mind.

Doing your research will allow you to search for older bodies, usually 1-2 years old, and you can buy them in the used market for very cheap. Stay away from the entry level cameras from that time frame as well though, lol. Try searching for amature level bodies, or even semi-pro bodies. This is obviously a designation I have assigned the bodies, you will not go online and search "amature-level camera", lol. This is where the research on your part comes in to play.

If you do your research well, and check out a lot of reviews, you get a better grasp of which bodies perform better. A great site to do research is over at DPreview. That link actually takes you to their camera review section, very useful. There is also the option to compare cameras side-by-side and go down point by point to see which may better suit your needs.

Typically, you will see the newest released cameras on top. The place you may want to start is going down that list and notice the cameras that have gotten Gold and Silver awards. For example, the Nikon D3300 is the first on that page that pops up as a silver awarded camera. You will see that it was barely released, it is an entry level camera, but it sells for under $600. The next one with an award is the Fuji X-T1 with a gold award. This is a more sophisticated body and the price reflects that. As you can see, the list goes on and on and on.

I have the most experience with Sony, so my recomendations would no be for a specific body, but rather for the feature set for you to have some kind of baseline comparison to what things may be important in this brand or in others. A body that I always recommend to people on our Sony forum is the Sony SLT-a57. You can buy a used body right now for $377. This body cost over $1000 when it came out if I remember correctly. It received a gold award on DP and it is very user friendly.

I don't mean to be biased, so I will also recommend some Nikon and Canon bodies. However, please bear in mind that I only have specific hands on experience with more advanced bodies, and in reality, most of the people reading this will probably not start off with these type of bodies. Alas, I will still do the list, starting with the Canon 5D Mark III. This camera is truly a beast of a body and can be used professionally, which I have. Another Canon body which isn't as expensive as that one, is the 6D. There was an offer going on for quite some time for a bundled 6D and a 24-105 Lens (yes, that is the one that Matt shoots with!) for $1,999! This was honestly a steal and I almost jumped on that body in addition to mine. I didn't because my wife would probably have killed me, lol. That body though, is absolutely beautiful. The ISO management is truly on another level. It lacks some things in other departments but the lens alone use to cost close to 2k. They basically threw in the body for free! Let me also mention the body that Matt actually shoots with too. This body is a little bit old, but you can see that it puts out phenomenal images. This just goes to show what I was talking about. You can get a used body from a few years back, and have a better body than one coming out now designed for entry level.
    Moving on to Nikon. The d800 is another beast of a camera. We are talking North of 3K here so I wont dwell too much on the body. It is on par with the 5D Mark III and when I used it I did not lack in any department. Another Nikon body I have used in the past was the D7000. This is a few years old now but I remember taking some really great shots with that. Ironically enough, I have a Nex6 mirrorless camera that has that exact same sensor but in a much smaller package. The sensor does not lack at all for me, and I would recommend it in a heart beat. The D600 is another great one. A friend of mine shoots with this one professionally. The only main problem it had was on release there was a problem with oil on the sensor. I believe they fixed that problem though.

Those are a few I have hands on experience with. The following are cameras that people that I know have also purchased and liked:
    -Nikon D5300
    -Olympus OM-D E-M1. People rave about this camera to me. It is last years model and realeased close to $1,500 if I remember correctly.
    -Sony Cybershot RX100 II. This is a point and shoot sized camera that has a really nice sensor. This is what would be considered a bridge camera to an extent, but I know many people using these with phenomenal photos.
    -Canon EOS 100D. I really do not know much about this body but a buddy of mine said he really liked it and I trust his judgement.
    -Pentax K-5. Anyone that has ever shot Pentax raves about this body. It is a top tier body at not a high price. You can find some used ones under $500. Steal in my book.

Of course this list can go on and on. One thing that everyone should be aware of is that your first body is very important! Why am I yelling? Because, statistically, the first body brand you choose is the one you will more than likely hail allegiance to for the rest of your photographic journey. So, I stress, before you choose a body, do your research. This is no different than discus in that regard. Find out what some of the pros and cons are to each brand in general and choose accordingly. For instance, the Sony brand is known for their horrible flash support. If you are a studio photographer like I am, it is a pain at times to work in these type of settings. Of course, many of us have learned work-arounds, but Sony has made it very difficult in that regard. Sony is also known for not releasing timely firmware updates for known bugs in a timely manner. Many claim that the lens support is not there, but in reality I have always thought of this as a bad rap claim. I think the lineup is plenty diverse and I have not had problems.

So, in conclusion, the goal is to DO YOUR RESEARCH. Don't be scared to shop in the used market, and join photography forums. More times than not you learn more on those forums than you do from books.

Well that was long-winded and I'm sure I missed key points I wanted to relay when I first started, but that is it in a nutshell for now.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Oh, I can't believe I forgot this. Visit Keh.com for some truly ridiculously low cost cameras and lenses. They carry everything usually and their rating system is spot on almost 100% of the time. Their return service and their customer service is spectacular. Browse their stock and you will see that it is generally a lot cheaper than even ebay prices. Enjoy!

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Agree with the above. I started with a Canon and am biased towards Canon. Have no hate against the others, they make phenomenal cameras but Canon is what I know and love. Another point I will add to choosing a camera is go to the store and hold one. The feeling of it in your hand is just as important as everything else. If you are holding an uncomfortable camera you can easily miss the shot you want because of it. And it won't matter TO much specific models, each brand has a style of body that is usually quite consistent in feel/shape as each model comes out so pick them up and go hands on with it. One of the reasons I have stuck with Canon is I don't like how Nikon's feel in my hand simple as that.

I know Canon has a refurbished store online. Sometimes can find great deals there, the other brands might have the same. They get cameras, lenses, etc back and refurbish them and sell them again. Sometimes these are pristine store display models that have hardly been used but Canon does a full refresh on them and puts them up for sale. Worth checking when shopping.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Agree with the above. I started with a Canon and am biased towards Canon. Have no hate against the others, they make phenomenal cameras but Canon is what I know and love. Another point I will add to choosing a camera is go to the store and hold one. The feeling of it in your hand is just as important as everything else. If you are holding an uncomfortable camera you can easily miss the shot you want because of it. And it won't matter TO much specific models, each brand has a style of body that is usually quite consistent in feel/shape as each model comes out so pick them up and go hands on with it. One of the reasons I have stuck with Canon is I don't like how Nikon's feel in my hand simple as that.

I know Canon has a refurbished store online. Sometimes can find great deals there, the other brands might have the same. They get cameras, lenses, etc back and refurbish them and sell them again. Sometimes these are pristine store display models that have hardly been used but Canon does a full refresh on them and puts them up for sale. Worth checking when shopping.
    A great point Matt. You should help me with the verbiage here, you can be my reminder of things forgotten :-).

Ergonomics on a camera is a huge deal. I remember first holding my Nex6 and thinking, "this thing is waay to small to be useful". I eventually got used to it because I ended up packing it in a pocket when I didn't want to lug around the larger body. But, if I would have deemed the body type just too unusual for my preference, I would have probably returned it.

There are just some bodies that are awkwardly built. Go to any camera store and get a feel for what feels good.

Cafepress.com

... Another point I will add to choosing a camera is go to the store and hold one. The feeling of it in your hand is just as important as everything else. ...
    Actually I sort of disagree with you Matt (but agree really ), I would say it is the most important thing, if you don't like using it, you won't use it! If it isn't intuitive or doesn't become intuitive very quickly you will miss shot after shot. The ergonomics are vital imho
    Last edited by pcsb23; 05-03-2014 at 04:12 AM.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    What prompted me to start this thread was from the Photo Contest thread. I will quote myself and George here just to show what I am talking about:

In this thread we will discuss mainly "gear", or rather, cameras/lenses/photography related topics and basics. In this manner, we can have an open dialog on anything from, "what camera to buy?", to "what lens can achieve this look?".

So, let me start off with the quote from George above. Not to pick on you George but I know a lot of people that have a higher end camera and do not grasp the basic function of these cameras. Every single camera in the market today deals with these 3 basic things, without them, a camera does not work, and those 3 things are:
    -Shutters Speed
    -Aperture
    -ISO

These are all relavent to an exposure, or a picture.

So, in basic terms, and I really do mean basic terms here:
    -the Shutter speed decides how long (time-wise) the aperture stays open.
    -the Aperture is the physical opening of a lens diaphram
    -the iso simply measures the sensitivity of an image sensor

These 3 all work in unison to make a proper exposure.

Now, to apply this to a real world situation we must make up scenarios. The easiest shooting scenario is bright daylight. You can basically get away with using whatever settings you want.
    In a night time setting, you are more limited in the type of settings you CAN use in that particular scene.
    ISO is more important in darker situations but can be relied upon in daylight as well.

With this information in mind, consider that all lenses have apertures. Again, all this means is that the lens OPENS and CLOSES to its designated values. Typically, when someone refers to a lens as "wide open", it means that the lens is being used at its most open designation, so the physical 'hole' is large. If, someone refers to a lens as "stopped down all the way", it means that the lens is being used at its most closed designation. Why does this matter? It matters because the aperture controls something called Depth Of Field (DOF). When a lens is "wide open" the DOF is much smaller than when the lens is "stopped down".

These next shots are an example of DOF controlled by the aperture:

DeLeon Tequila Silver Top by rickztahone, on Flickr
    In this shot, the bottle cap was my main subject. I wanted to isolate it and make the DOF as small as possible. In this case I used aperture f/3.2. My lens could have opened up even further, in my case f/1.4, but when you are dealing with a subject in close quarters, the distance to the subject also comes in to play. This is an issue with many aquarium photographers, because most of the time they want to be pressed up against the glass to take photos. In reality, you are narrowing down your DOF which makes it more difficult to keep things in focus.

Think of DOF as a slice of pie. The wider the aperture, example f/1.2 (very wide) f/1.4, f/2, the THINNER your slice of pie is. The narrower the aperture, example f/5.6, f/8, f/11, the THICKER the slice of pie is.

DeLeon Tequila by rickztahone, on Flickr
    Moving on to this next shot. In this shot, I wanted to get more of the bottle in focus, not just the cap. In that case, I "stopped down", or simply narrowed the opening of my aperture (f/5). This allows a greater DOF. In this case, it allowed me to get the bottle in focus, as well as the cap, but the background still remains slightly out of focus. Had I stopped down even further, say f/11 for example, the background would have been more defined and sharp, or following our metaphor above, you would have gotten a larger slice of pie.

I may be getting to technical here, so I will let these points simmer and make themselves to your long term memory, lol. I will be back to explain shutter speed and ISO and how they rely on one another.

P.S. this is an open dialog thread and I will answer any type of photography questions. So, if it isn't related directly to what I said above because you know the basics, then please go ahead and ask a more advanced questions and I will try to answer to the best of my ability.

Ricardo,
    This is a great thread you started and the other have been chiming in on.. As a Phototography addict myself... I'm thrilled seeing this topic. I'm a life pentax fan myself... started manual camera 35 mm SLRs, then moved to Pentax dSLR. The way the camera technology goes these days is so fast.. you can always find great deals on earlier models.. and still take awesome pics... I use a K20D pentax for my pictures and these are several model behind and years old... but still take awesome pics. You don't need to spend a fortune on a camera and lens... A good photographer can take great pics with average gear. The gear is only as good as the understanding of the shooter. Practice truly makes you better.

A major downside of camera technology is that Some of the newer gear is so complicated, its overwhelming. New shooters then put the camera on idiot mode...I mean user mode...when they do this they will never be able to really take awesome pics.... its important to experiment and play around. Better to get a decent camera and use it often.

-al

Ps... I have an idea ...why not send me the bottle of tequila and I'll take some shots myself.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-02-2014 at 07:26 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Matt

Al brings up a good point about old technology still working well since it moves so fast these days. I saw a quote today actually by Brooks Jensen that I thought was good. "Never forget that all the great photographs in history were made with more primitive camera equipment than you currently own."

Once this thread develops more and we have more jumping in maybe I'll do things like post my workflow in photoshop of JPEG or RAW images. Its a bit on down the line from buying a camera and taking photos so I'll hold off but it can be a very important step in getting control of the image and ready for display. (No deceiving photoshop business, just general touch up.)
    -Matt

Camera body is important, but image quality comes from lenses. Before you buy a camera you have to be honest with yourself and ask what you are going to do with your photography. Taking images of the family is different from birds in flight or studio photography. You may get by with a package lens (one sold as a set with the camera) or you may be better off buying just a body and spending a bit (or a lot) more on a lens. My allegiance to Nikon over several decades is not because I necessarily think they make better cameras, I just have a lot of very nice lenses that I have slowly collected and could never afford to replace if I switched to another company. I have had many camera bodies over the years, but some of my lenses are 10-15 years old and work great with newer digital bodies.
    Also, if you are someone who will be outdoors a lot with your camera, body choice may be key. The more expensive bodies have better seals, o rings etc (as do the lenses) to keep out the elements.
    Matt's point is a good one. If you are just starting out in photography you no longer are buying just a camera. You have to get a dark room and storage bins, ie, be sure you have a computer system that can process the data, and store the files. What are you going to do with the images you take, how are you going to show them to other people and most importantly, how are you going to find them easily. (Where is that picture of the Red Turq. from 2012 when it was 2.5 inches?) Storing images can fill up a computer hard drive fairly quickly, so external hard drives become a consideration.

Just like keeping Discus there are all levels to photography, but deciding what you want for an end product up front, will save frustration and money down the line. (Again sounds like Discus keeping.)
    Last edited by SMB2; 05-03-2014 at 12:43 AM.
    Stan

SIMPLY DISCUS IS AN OXYMORON

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    ... Another point I will add to choosing a camera is go to the store and hold one. The feeling of it in your hand is just as important as everything else. ...
    Actually I sort of disagree with you Matt (but agree really ), I would say it is the most important thing, if you don't like using it, you won't use it! If it isn't intuitive or doesn't become intuitive very quickly you will miss shot after shot. The ergonomics are vital imho
    This is truly a great point to stress to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Ricardo,
    This is a great thread you started and the other have been chiming in on.. As a Phototography addict myself... I'm thrilled seeing this topic. I'm a life pentax fan myself... started manual camera 35 mm SLRs, then moved to Pentax dSLR. The way the camera technology goes these days is so fast.. you can always find great deals on earlier models.. and still take awesome pics... I use a K20D pentax for my pictures and these are several model behind and years old... but still take awesome pics. You don't need to spend a fortune on a camera and lens... A good photographer can take great pics with average gear. The gear is only as good as the understanding of the shooter. Practice truly makes you better.

A major downside of camera technology is that Some of the newer gear is so complicated, its overwhelming. New shooters then put the camera on idiot mode...I mean user mode...when they do this they will never be able to really take awesome pics.... its important to experiment and play around. Better to get a decent camera and use it often.

-al

Ps... I have an idea ...why not send me the bottle of tequila and I'll take some shots myself.
    Another great point. One of my photography friends actually shoots with a Sony a100. This is an 8yr old camera! Believe it or not, he has won several of our photo exhibitions with that combo, and winning exhibitions is not an easy task at all over there. It truly comes down to the photographer, and not the gear. The gear has its own importance, but without a good photographer, it is a terrible waste. What Al calls "user mode" is what I call "auto-dumb". You let your hundred, or some times thousand dollar investment make all the decisions for you, rather than applying your skills. If you practice enough, the camera becomes a part of your hand, and you hardly ever have to actually look at the buttons on your camera, you just know where they are.

Al brings up a good point about old technology still working well since it moves so fast these days. I saw a quote today actually by Brooks Jensen that I thought was good. "Never forget that all the great photographs in history were made with more primitive camera equipment than you currently own."

Once this thread develops more and we have more jumping in maybe I'll do things like post my workflow in photoshop of JPEG or RAW images. Its a bit on down the line from buying a camera and taking photos so I'll hold off but it can be a very important step in getting control of the image and ready for display. (No deceiving photoshop business, just general touch up.)
    We would love to see your workflow Matt! Personally I work with Camera RAW and CS6 and some pre-sets from NIK and Topax Labz.

Quote Originally Posted by SMB2 View Post
    Camera body is important, but image quality comes from lenses. Before you buy a camera you have to be honest with yourself and ask what you are going to do with your photography. Taking images of the family is different from birds in flight or studio photography. You may get by with a package lens (one sold as a set with the camera) or you may be better off buying just a body and spending a bit (or a lot) more on a lens. My allegiance to Nikon over several decades is not because I necessarily think they make better cameras, I just have a lot of very nice lenses that I have slowly collected and could never afford to replace if I switched to another company. I have had many camera bodies over the years, but some of my lenses are 10-15 years old and work great with newer digital bodies.
    Also, if you are someone who will be outdoors a lot with your camera, body choice may be key. The more expensive bodies have better seals, o rings etc (as do the lenses) to keep out the elements.
    Matt's point is a good one. If you are just starting out in photography you no longer are buying just a camera. You have to get a dark room and storage bins, ie, be sure you have a computer system that can process the data, and store the files. What are you going to do with the images you take, how are you going to show them to other people and most importantly, how are you going to find them easily. (Where is that picture of the Red Turq. from 2012 when it was 2.5 inches?) Storing images can fill up a computer hard drive fairly quickly, so external hard drives become a consideration.

Just like keeping Discus there are all levels to photography, but deciding what you want for an end product up front, will save frustration and money down the line. (Again sounds like Discus keeping.)
    A key point that is brought up here that I meant to make when saying that one holds an allegiance to the brand you first purchase is lenses. Once the photography bug hits, and you start collecting lenses, you generally will stick with that brand BECAUSE you have all those lenses from that particular brand. Buying in to another brand, or "switching camps", is usually a financial burden that will set you back a lot of money and time. This is one of the main reasons I encourage everyone to do your research before hand. With all this been said, I understand it is difficult to do research on a subject that you do not know much about! That is where this thread enters, :-).

We will go in to great detail on things you want to do your research on. So stay tuned.
    Last edited by pcsb23; 05-03-2014 at 04:11 AM.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Mothers day is upon us. So is Memorial Day. And July 4th not to far away. Just saying, these dates are usually an outstanding time to buy the gear you need because of the sales!!
    -Matt

Registered Member treemanone2003's Avatar
    Real Name
    George

Ricardo,

I was able to find on of the two I spoke of involving speed. I couldn't upload from my stupid computer since we have a love hate relationship. I copied the image from my FB page so here goes.

This is one of my favorites from the race. I have a few more in succession as this played out. All of these are not touched up at all, so critique away. Properties are :
    f/5.6 exp time 1/1000 ISO-500 focal length 200mm max aperture 5

Thanks-George

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Ricardo

I believe your settings are spot on for this particular event. I believe the one thing this photo may be struggling a bit in is the crop. See how the car is almost at the edge of the frame on the right? You typically want to leave a subject some space. Additionally, you typically want the main subject, in this case, the car, space in the direction in which it is facing. However, you broke the rule here, and I'm glad you actually did. The action is actually behind the main subject. The subject is nice and sharp, so no problem there. Overall, it is a good capture.

One thing you should keep in mind in race shots is that you don't necessarily need really fast shutter speeds. I have successfully captured "panning" photos of race cars flying by. The slower shutter speed allows the car to be sharp while you follow it during exposure and the background captures the motion. This is a more pleasing photo setting for these type of events.

Thanks for sharing.

Cafepress.com

Because of this thread i barrow my brother's DSLR and took some discus photos. Love playing around with shutter speed and ISO. I'm going to have to invest in one of my own.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast