ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Wild Altum angel fish tank setup, preparation and maintenance

Registered Member

Default My Wild Altum angel fish tank setup, preparation and maintenance

I Pre-Ordered 12 Young 2 Inches Wild Altum angels which I am going to get in 2 months. I want to raise these beauties for long time. Hopefully I will get my tank ready for these delicate fish before i get my hands on.

My Current Tank & Setup (3 years old setup and up and running)
    --------------------------
    Tank Size: 90 Gallon (48 in x18 in)
    Substrate : Eco Complete Black Gravel (3 Years Old) 2 inches depth and underneath that Red Clay with Sand (Prepared in : Tom Barr's Non-CO2 Tank Method)
    Plants : Jungle Vals, Vallisneria nana, 2 Swords, Dwarf Hair Grass.
    Lighting : 174 Watts (T5:110, T8: 64)
    Filter : Fluval 405
    UV Sterilizer: Coralife Turbo-Twist 3X - 9w
    CO2 Tank & Milwaukee MA957 CO2 Regulator, Solenoid, Bubble Counter
    Merineland Maxi Jet pumps -2 (For Water circulation and oxygen pumping)

Fish: 1 discus fish 6 inches(Snakeskin Female). which I am planning to trade/sell for RO system. If you are interested ping me.Laid eggs 3-4 times. Male and lot of plants died when I went out of country for vacation.
    Other: Rummynose Tetra's 3 and 1 cardinal Tetra, 2 nirate snails.

My Current Water Parameters:
    Currently using plain tap water: PH is Neutral and Medium Hard Water.

I am planning to add Malaysian Driftwood and along with that I want to make some more changes like using RO system water so that I can make this tank as home for the wild altums. I recently read about LOW PH cycle. I am impressed and I am planning to do that too. Please suggest if you know any easy ways.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am reading articles about altums for sometime but don't have a consolidated list of things I have to follow or never talked with anyone who really raised wild altums. So I am posting this article to get the advice from experts / hobbiests who raised wild altums successfully.

Thanks in advance
    Varma
    Last edited by Varma; 05-01-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: My Wild Altum angel fish tank setup, preparation and maintenance

Varma, you may be getting a lack of resonses because most of us here deal with discus only tanks. I know there are a few that have discus and angels, but then again, you will be getting wild angels which narrows that demographic even further.

have you tried angel-specific websites?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

When I googled "wild altum angelfish forum" simplydiscus is on second list which I use most and trust. So I posted this here

Real Name
    Ralph

"Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Any updates? I love altum. I have 5 myself.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by lilhelper View Post
    Any updates? I love altum. I have 5 myself.
    I got the altums 2 months ago. 10 Survived. Still in Quarantine Tank. 1 altum has pimple on it. Not sure how to cure it. I created a video on you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX6N-BJhVSE

Please shed some light if you have experience in curing pimples.

Ryan

Registered Member

Clean, acid and soft water. Those pimples area sign of higher nitrates/heterotrophic bacteria, take it as a fish version of excem.

Registered Member

Clean, acid and soft water with tannins and fluvic acid (peat, cattapo leaves). Those pimples area sign of higher nitrates/heterotrophic bacteria, take it as a fish version of excem.

Registered Member

Ryan looks good and love you music. Best of luck. Ed

Registered Member

I am maintaining my tank water with below parameters
    PH: 4.8-5.2
    TDS - 65-85
    50% water change weekly RO, and Biweekly 25 % tap water addition
    0 nitrates

I'm surprised that Pat hasn't responded to this OP! She has been very successful bringing Altum Angels to sub adult hood. Varma, the water changes are simply not enough. Try upping the water changes. I don't really know much about albums but Pat, who's an administrator on this forum, is well versed in the care of Altums. However, this is the holiday season and she has been busy with family but eventually she may respond to your questions. She has stated many times that she takes care of her angels the same way she takes care of her discus. With that said then you must change much more water more frequently or those pimples you are seeing can really turn into something nasty. The average water change schedule for discus is 50 percent water change every day. I have seen those pimples in the past on a few of my discus and I always know it is a result of not having done enough water changes. Hope this helps. Rufus

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Varma, is there still a pimple? and is it raised? I would have expected more pimples to form if there was a water quality issue.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Varma, is there still a pimple? and is it raised? I would have expected more pimples to form if there was a water quality issue.
    Aha! Here is the person to help you!

Registered Member

Thanks Pat for the reply. Yes. It is still there. Still the same size and that is the only pimple still there after 5 months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast