AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 600 gallon low tech planted tank

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Default Re: 600 gallon low tech planted tank

Very pretty tank.. The only thing that concerns me is the only RO water change once a month and the movement (current) in the tank for discus .......josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha Saive View Post
    modified overflow type with sump.its not the traditional overflow with only surface skimming. i added a baffle around the overflow( the height of the inner and outer one at the surface is the same) so that most of the water(80%) gets sucked in from the bottom of the tank and only about 20% overflows from the surface of the tank.i wasnt sure about this when i planned it at the start, but works wonderfully no more fish poo and left over food at the bottom. all of the waste gets pushed to the corner (wavemakers help too) and gets sucked into the filtration.i planned this coz my tank is 3.5 foot high
    Is your tank rimless? Most calculators on-line I've seen would've recommended thicker glass for that height. How did you determine glass thickness?

Your overflow sounds awesome. Could you please share some more pictures of your design? How do you prevent overflows with power outages? I have a standard surface skimmer and have been thinking about how to use modify a gravel skimmer.

Registered Member

Great looking tank.

The overflow concept seems similar to standard marine land overflows that have the intakes in the lower mid range and upper portion.

Would love more detailed info on it tho!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sid

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Looks amazing! Only concern is WC frequency. Of course I'm sure that's a LOT of water to change at 50% but do you limit yourself to once a month because of replacing with all RO? How's your water source out of the tap? Regardless, loooove the pics of your tank.
    Yes. Only RO water used. 50 to 70% water change every month. Having a sump filter and having lots of plants in the tank helps keep the water manageable hopefully
    I top up about 20 litres of RO water every day in this summer heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Trez View Post
    Amazing looking setup you have! Nicely balanced between open sand and plants, very clean, and good current. Not exactly the usual low-tech approach however, as you went without a soil substrate and as you are dosing to some degree. I thought that might have led to a bit of algae, but presumably not so long as your plants are doing well enough to inhibit it.

I'm quite interested in the baffle system you used to remove detritus by removing water mainly from the bottom. Do you have any photos of how you built that, or could you diagram it? I was pondering how best to achieve the same thing myself. How have you arranged the flow and wavemakers in order to get the waste moving towards the intake? I haven't heard of a wavemaker being used to achieve that, but if it happens to work successfully as such then very ingeniously done!
    Thank you
    I'll post pics of the overflow chamber with baffle soon. It's possible to direct the flow towards the intake but it's not necessary. Any circulation in the tank is helpful. It keeps the detritus from settling which will eventually get to the filter intakes
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoDiscus View Post
    Very pretty tank.. The only thing that concerns me is the only RO water change once a month and the movement (current) in the tank for discus .......josie
    Thank you
    The flow in the tank is not much compared to the size of the tank. Without the wavemakers, the flow from the return pipe is very little and detritus would settle in most of the tank.
    The flow is good around the wavemakers, but there are plenty of places in the tank where it's very less. The discus move to these areas when they aren't active
    Using Tapatalk

How much nitrates will you have by the end of the month before you do a water change?

A beautiful setup BTW, hope you could keep up with it. you would need to dive in to clean the glass . lol

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sid

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    How much nitrates will you have by the end of the month before you do a water change?

A beautiful setup BTW, hope you could keep up with it. you would need to dive in to clean the glass . lol
    Never measured parameters till date. Will be buying some meters and test kits soon. Out of curiosity. Never had so much bioload before adding the discus

I pay the lfs guys for maintenance once a month. After removing half the water out (during water change ), one guy climbs in to clean the glass and takes care of any work inside the tank if necessary.
    Using Tapatalk

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sid

Got a big surprise today
    My Discus have laid eggs

The eggs were in the back corner. This blurry mobile pic was the best I could do. You can see the eggs on the glass just below the discus. Hundreds of them.

The bigger ones among my discus are around 4".
    Dint know they'll lay eggs when they're so young
    Sadly they'll all be eaten by the other fish in my tank even in the future.
    Using Tapatalk

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Frank

Thumbs up Re: 600 gallon low tech planted tank

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha Saive View Post
    Got a big surprise today
    My Discus have laid eggs

The eggs were in the back corner. This blurry mobile pic was the best I could do. You can see the eggs on the glass just below the discus. Hundreds of them.

The bigger ones among my discus are around 4".
    Dint know they'll lay eggs when they're so young
    Sadly they'll all be eaten by the other fish in my tank even in the future.
    Man-O-Man what a beautiful tank setup.
    Congratulations, can't wait to here about the water statics.
    gpmcfm

Registered Member

Hope your tank cleaner doesn't stand on your discus while he is in your tank each month

Very interesting setup.. 👍😊

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sid

Bad days for my tank
    This summer was harsh. I was out of country for nearly a month and the tank reached nearly 33°C at one point.
    By then my cardinal tetra were stressed out. I setup a high speed small table fan over the tank and the temp is maintaining at 28°C now.
    Lost nearly 50 cardinals over the last few months. Now the remaining ones are healthy. I wish I had taken care of the temperature earlier. And I can only count 8 of the 10 elephant noses.. The Discus are doing great though

Another bad news. The cardinals are being eaten by my Discus my Discus are growing very fast and I've seen a cardinal with no tail today. Some Discus slowly trail after the small Tetras.. Haven't actually seen them eat them though.
    I ve hoped my Discus would leave the tetra alone
    If the numbers drop I'll have to separate the cardinals.
    Using Tapatalk

Registered Member
    Real Name
    wayen fang

your fish are so cute

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sid

Hey guys

Thinking of upgrading my lights to LED. Currently have T5HO setup 54W x 4 and 39W x 4 totalling to around 34000 lumens.

Planning to get it custom made to around the same lumen output (with LED at 70%) with cool whites, and red+blue+green. With dimmers and programmed effects on timers. Colour led will bring out the different colours...?

The upgrade is mainly for a better display. The current lights are good enough for the low tech plants I have..

So do you think the LED are worth it? Will the display look significantly better? I mean all fish/plant colours brighter and the shimmer effect..
    Using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Ricardo

Switching to LED's, especially with as much lighting as you currently have, you will notice a huge difference in temp, in a good way. LED's are far more flexible as well. I honestly do not know what type of fixture are available where you reside, but I would say that LED's can definitely handle low tech tanks. Just do your research for your tank dimensions.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Nathan

Wow! Nicely done!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast