AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 600 gallon low tech planted tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tres

Default Re: 600 gallon low tech planted tank

If you get the right combination of colours of LED chips, then you'll see wonderful colours from your fish and plants. Check out this fixture, which has the most uniform spectrum for the most accurate/realistic colour rendering of any fixture I've seen - http://www.buildmyled.com/dutch-planted-6300k/
    The ratios of LED chips they use is as follows8) 6500K Cool White, (2) 625nm Red, (1) 470nm Blue, (1) 505nm Cyan, (1) 525nm Green, (1) 615nm Orange/Red, (1) 660nm Deep Red. You could add a few more cool white or red to give those colours on the discus a little more pop.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sid

Quote Originally Posted by Tres View Post
    If you get the right combination of colours of LED chips, then you'll see wonderful colours from your fish and plants. Check out this fixture, which has the most uniform spectrum for the most accurate/realistic colour rendering of any fixture I've seen - http://www.buildmyled.com/dutch-planted-6300k/
    The ratios of LED chips they use is as follows8) 6500K Cool White, (2) 625nm Red, (1) 470nm Blue, (1) 505nm Cyan, (1) 525nm Green, (1) 615nm Orange/Red, (1) 660nm Deep Red. You could add a few more cool white or red to give those colours on the discus a little more pop.
    Thank you. I wasn't sure of what colour led to use along with cool whites. I might try this combination
    Using Tapatalk

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tres

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha Saive View Post
    Thank you. I wasn't sure of what colour led to use along with cool whites. I might try this combination
    You're certainly welcome. There is a current thread here on the forum entitled "LED lightings for Color Pops" http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...for-Color-Pops where they are talking about this as well, and they are talking about this fixture a lot there -http://www.buildmyled.com/fish-focus-red-5000k/ which has the following ratios -(11) 6500K Cool White, (4) 660nm Deep Red. I haven't seen it myself but am worried it might look not very natural after seeing the spectral graph which is one of the images there at that link.

So it's personal choice at the end of the day if you want natural looking colour or hyper-colour pop which is potentially at the expense of looking natural, though without comparing the two side-by-side I can't confirm myself for sure.

Registered Member

Its Huge !!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Fantastic tank! I would definitely go with LED. I'm looking at the Kessil A360WE Series Wide Angle Tuna Blue LED for my small 92 gallon corner.

Registered Member Larry Grenier's Avatar

Your tank is fabulous! I agree that led is the way to go.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Brian

Amazing looking tank! Good work!

Registered Member Driftwood Mike's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike

Wow, Amazing!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Andy

I would suggest seeing a led set up in person. There is no question you will be able to grow and more then likely burn anything you want with leds, but they don't nessacerily look better. They will for sure look different, some people prefer it and others don't. The kelvin and intensity is far easier to adjust making them much more customizable. I personally prefer t5/led combos. They are expensive but they provide shimmer and customization without the directional light output and potential shadowing involved in LED only fixtures.

Registered Member discus blue angle's Avatar
    Real Name
    ghr

hi
    very nice and also have beautiful discus.
    Good luck.

Real Name
    David

That makes my 135 look tiny!!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sid

Smile 600 Gallon Planted Discus Tank

Hey guys. its been a long time since i updated here.

the tank has gone through a lot of changes.

Starting with the bad news.. my tank had a bad columnaris outbreak in August last year after adding unquarantined fish.. gradually killing most of the fish in the tank. I gave away the discus that survived.
    I treated the tank with Nitrofurantoin and many water changes over 3 months. the tank looked barren of fish during this period with only around 40 fish left (from 400 )

This gave me the chance to make changes to the tank over the next few months..
    Added more driftwood to the tank and changed the scape.
    uploadfromtaptalk1426435647546.jpguploadfromtaptalk1426435612782.jpg

Setup a pressurised CO2 system.

Earlier, i used only RO water in the tank. Shifted to using all tap water(TDS~300) Setup permanent plumbing to and from the tank. The outlet pipe has an inline pump and drains into the garden, the inlet coming from an overhead tank. Now water changes are a breeze. can change 25% of the water (~150 gallons) in just 15 mins.

Got dry fertilizers and started dosing at about 1/4th of recommended EI for my tank volume since i only have slow growing plants in low/medium light.

Have added 10 x Geophagus winemilleri and 6 x G.heckelii and 50 congo tetra, a few plecos in December.

Tank still looked empty with these fish. After much waiting i found a good deal on the kind of Discus i was looking for, from a local breeder. Got 30 "Royal blue" discus and set them up in a 60 gallon spare tank i had for quarantine. Disaster struck on the 2nd day.. the tank started leaking. So had to put the discus in the big tank.

2 month old pics of the discus when added
    uploadfromtaptalk1427962520124.jpguploadfromtaptalk1427962506696.jpg

Im not sure if these strain are Royal blue or something else ?

Its been 2 months since i got the 30 discus when they were around 2"
    Now most of them are around 3.5", a few at 4" and about 5 of them turned out to be runts/stunted. Have been doing thrice a week 25% water changes. And have reduced fertilizer dosing and CO2 a lot since i added the discus.

LATEST VIDEO OF THE TANK-

https://youtu.be/e_ENjJGwXkw
    Last edited by Siddhartha Saive; 06-05-2015 at 10:51 AM.
    Using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Ricardo

Those Geophagus winemilleri are absolutely gorgeous! It will be difficult to raise your discus to a proper size in this massive tank. How often are you feeding?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sid

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Those Geophagus winemilleri are absolutely gorgeous! It will be difficult to raise your discus to a proper size in this massive tank. How often are you feeding?
    Thank you Cant wait for the geos to get to their max size and colouration.

Last year when i had the previous batch of discus, i used to do about 75% water change only once a month. Now i do atleast 25% water changes thrice a week and feed 4 to 6 times a day with Hikari discus biogold, tetra bits, FDBW, frozen worms/brine shrimp. The growth is much better compared to the last time.
    I know the discus might not grow to their max potential in my setup, but im hoping atleast 15 of the 30 will turn out good.
    Using Tapatalk

Very nice setup Sid..

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast