AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 600 gallon low tech planted tank

Default Re: 600 gallon low tech planted tank

great setups. Although I prefer the your older look to the new one

Real Name
    Jacklyn

OP I was critical of your original set up on PlantedTank.net, you had way to many fish in that tank and an inevitable crash happened as you experienced a whole tank of columnaris that killed off 90% of your stock. This was after you argued with forum members that your genius flow set up and filtration made it so you hardly ever had to do water changes. You have a bad habit of extreme over stocking, and it looks you didn't learn your lesson last time. Yes this is a huge tank, and yes you can fit a lot of fish in there but to be honest you should never have introduced the discus, much less 30 of them as the tank was pushing its stocking limits before the discus. I do hold out hope for you, but I predict the same thing will happen as this beautiful but impractical tank is way over stocked again.

I realize this sounds harsh; which it is not my intent to hate on your beautiful tank. My advice is to get rid of some fish if you want to keep them healthy.
    Last edited by jmf3460; 06-19-2015 at 04:19 PM. Reason: i was too harsh
    ~JACKLYN~

Lovely tank.but not suitable for growing out discus due to large size and tank mates.i would only put adults in there 2 years plus.and did u quarintine all fish.learn from ur mistakes.u have an amazingly big tank.try get it rite it will be worth the work eventually.good luck and please heed the advice here its only ment well

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sid

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    OP I was critical of your original set up on PlantedTank.net, you had way to many fish in that tank and an inevitable crash happened as you experienced a whole tank of columnaris that killed off 90% of your stock. This was after you argued with forum members that your genius flow set up and filtration made it so you hardly ever had to do water changes. You have a bad habit of extreme over stocking, and it looks you didn't learn your lesson last time. Yes this is a huge tank, and yes you can fit a lot of fish in there but to be honest you should never have introduced the discus, much less 30 of them as the tank was pushing its stocking limits before the discus. I do hold out hope for you, but I predict the same thing will happen as this beautiful but impractical tank is way over stocked again.

I realize this sounds harsh; which it is not my intent to hate on your beautiful tank. My advice is to get rid of some fish if you want to keep them healthy.
    Thanks for the advice
    But I disagree on a few things. The tank wasn't overstocked with the discus a year ago. The problem started with me adding unquarantined native wild caught fish( glass fish and rice fish that I caught myself and many small catfish and algae eaters from a local supplier). I added nearly 80 small new fish. .which I didn't mention. A few catfish were infected and sickly which started dying in the first 2 days which eventually spread to most of the other fish until I diagnosed the disease and started treatment.

I'm sure I never argued that my filtration was better than water changes lol. Or else, I wouldn't have troubled myself with changing 80% of the water once a month with all RO. This was probably good enough for a large planted tank but not for the growing discus. The tank tds used to be around 40 to 60. I might have said that I'd never need to siphon or clean the sand because of the overflow. If you think that was genius I'm thankful

I feel the stocking now is good. You might change your mind if you see the tank in person. The tank still looks half empty. This will fill out as the fish grow out. I intend to remove a few discus...5 or more runts/stunted ones. Before adding the discus it was hard to find fish in there.

I won't be adding any new fish. I'm changing water thrice a week now and feeding heavily. This batch of discus seem to be doing so much better. Very even growth except a few runts. Maybe the large group helps as I've read so.

Thanks for scaring me though. I'll have to increase my water changes
    Last edited by Siddhartha Saive; 06-19-2015 at 05:40 PM.

No one is trying to put you down or dissing ur tank.but take it as you want there is a reason u have "runts" and "stunted" discus.there are a few contributing problems in ur tank.take or ignore the advice as you please.ive been there read my threads and ul see.your tank and current water changes are probably fine for ADULTS but not juvies.anyway love ur tank and hope u find a working balance.

Kind regards
    Quintin

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sid

Quote Originally Posted by Quintin View Post
    No one is trying to put you down or dissing ur tank.but take it as you want there is a reason u have "runts" and "stunted" discus.there are a few contributing problems in ur tank.take or ignore the advice as you please.ive been there read my threads and ul see.your tank and current water changes are probably fine for ADULTS but not juvies.anyway love ur tank and hope u find a working balance.

Kind regards
    Quintin
    Quintin I'm well aware of the problems in the tank for growing out the discus

There will definitely be a few runts(genetic weaklings) in any discus spawn.. which are eventually culled by the breeders.

Growing in good numbers is supposedly better. That's why I have 30 discus in there. I'm hoping to get decent growth on at least half of them and I'll keep the fish that I like.

Registered Member

Maybe up the amount of water changed and you will find even better results. Goodluck

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sid

Thank you for your encouragement Dis82

I have increased the water changes to 30 to 50% thrice a week. That's 600 to 900 gallons changed per week.

New mobile pics. Pics taken from the side of the tank
    Most of the discus are around 4" now
    It's been 11 weeks since I got the discus at 2". I'm guessing they are 5 to 6 months old now.

You can see the smallest runt with the big brother in the second pic

20150624_153051.jpg20150624_152943.jpg20150624_153417.jpgScreenshot_2015-06-24-18-18-08.jpg

Are they growing out good enough?
    Last edited by Siddhartha Saive; 06-24-2015 at 01:45 PM.
    Using Tapatalk

Looks great, i like it.

Nice.

Real Name
    Ricardo

These discus look excellent to me. Minus the runt that is, but you always have one of those somewhere, lol.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Jacklyn

i agree, your discus do look very good at this stage. even the runt doesn't look too bad.
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sid

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    These discus look excellent to me. Minus the runt that is, but you always have one of those somewhere, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    i agree, your discus do look very good at this stage. even the runt doesn't look too bad.
    Thanks guys That's very encouraging
    I hope they turn out good.

I like the little runt. I always look for it when ever go to the tank
    Using Tapatalk

Sid, please don't think I'm baiting you! Just asking what you mean by "decent growth"? I ask because I'm just guessing you'll get some over 6", a few may get to 6.5", most will be just shy of 6", and of course a few will be closer to 5" on the dot after 2 years. That's about what mine turned out to be (I have an old loooong thread somewhere you can check out). Anyhow, I ask what your goal is for the biggest & average so that we can track your progress through this thread (keep it going). If they get huge, great... if they hardly get over 5", that stinks but still great for documenting. I'm hoping you outperform my expectations but if not, so what! All's good

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha Saive View Post
    Quintin I'm well aware of the problems in the tank for growing out the discus

There will definitely be a few runts(genetic weaklings) in any discus spawn.. which are eventually culled by the breeders.

Growing in good numbers is supposedly better. That's why I have 30 discus in there. I'm hoping to get decent growth on at least half of them and I'll keep the fish that I like.
    -Elliot

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sid

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Sid, please don't think I'm baiting you! Just asking what you mean by "decent growth"? I ask because I'm just guessing you'll get some over 6", a few may get to 6.5", most will be just shy of 6", and of course a few will be closer to 5" on the dot after 2 years. That's about what mine turned out to be (I have an old loooong thread somewhere you can check out). Anyhow, I ask what your goal is for the biggest & average so that we can track your progress through this thread (keep it going). If they get huge, great... if they hardly get over 5", that stinks but still great for documenting. I'm hoping you outperform my expectations but if not, so what! All's good
    Hi pastry. Ive been through your entire looong thread already You did a great job with ur fish

The best I'm hoping for is to get (most of) my discus to 6" with good shape. Even if they don't, they already look great and I'll be happy if I can keep them alive

I'll try to do my best to take care of them and I'll post updates regularly.
    Using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast