ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Red wigglers are spoiling my wild discus...

Default Red wigglers are spoiling my wild discus...

Everybody always talks about frozen bloodworms making fish less willing to accept other foods. I never noticed that, but red wigglers have made my adult Alenquers almost indifferent to the flakes they used to go after with gusto. They loved Ocean Nutrition's Prime reef a week ago... now, not so much.

The good news is a week or so of a few wigglers a day has them looking lively... I just wish I'd ordered them before the 7 pounds of FBW and Mysis shrimp. (They're learning to like the latter, but most are still holding out. Kensfish will ship any amount of frozen food for $25 by the way, with really good pricing on Hikari FBW.)

Bonus Discus Behavior Trivia -- My fish peck and waggle and charge like hoolignas all day, but when I turn on the Moonlight LED (Current USA) they instantly start acting liike choirboys/girls. They hang out together, swim around leisurely, and then fall sleep together in a pod.)

Registered Member

Default Re: Red wigglers are spoiling my wild discus...

It seems your fish are training you to feed them FBW instead of you training them. If you feed flakes for a couple of days they will eat the flakes before they go hungry.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I feed a flake assortment first feeding in the morning, then brine or mysis mid morning and lunch is Al's FDBWs. Mid afternoon is white worms, red wigglers or mussels. Dinner is more FDBWs and sometimes FDBWs about 10 pm.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Elliots View Post
    It seems your fish are training you to feed them FBW instead of you training them. If you feed flakes for a couple of days they will eat the flakes before they go hungry.
    I think you need to read my post a little more carefully.

I've been wanting to set up a compost system with red wigglers. Did you have problems getting them to eat them? Someone in our local fish club is going to bring some over, before I set anything up.

They were hesitant at first, as discus often are with new food items. I started them on the smallest ones... under an inch.. Now they're OK with the larger ones cut in half. Now they love them. I think they're eating them faster the original pound are reproducing. Now I'm going to try to get them to take frozen Mysis shrimp.