AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Clean House Of Turqs

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Welcome to the Clean House Of Turqs

This thread is dedicated to the 5 Piwow turqs I now have in my one and only 50g tank. I will try to take pics every month or so to keep track of their progress. I received them at roughly 5.5" each.

If you are interested in the bowfront stand build journal, please Click here

On to the pics. First a shot of the whole tank:
    Fish Tank_86 by rickztahone, on Flickr
    Eventually the sponge filter will be out of there and give me that "clean" look I am looking for. It has been referred to as "sterile" which I take as a good thing, lol. These guys already had their first water change and they didn't seem to mind it at all. They are settling in nice. There is only one that still shows signs of stress but is coming around.

Fish Tank_87 by rickztahone, on Flickr
    One of the larger sized ones

Fish Tank_88 by rickztahone, on Flickr
    One of the smaller ones, but I like the base color a lot on this one. I hope it has a growth spurt.

Fish Tank_91 by rickztahone, on Flickr
    This one has finer pattern which I am not to fond of. This is also the one that still shows signs of stress, clamped fins here and there.

Fish Tank_92 by rickztahone, on Flickr
    Another of the larger ones.

Fish Tank_93 by rickztahone, on Flickr
    And last but not least, the one that I have already dubbed "beaky". Josie and Miranda were nice enough to send me pics and videos before I purchased all the discus. I mentioned that this one was a bit beaky, and Josie told me to just have him for free! A very nice gesture. Oddly enough, although this one shows a really pronounced "beak", it also seems to show the most potential to be the most vertical. We will see how his growth, and all their growth pans out.

Some random group shots:
    Fish Tank_94 by rickztahone, on Flickr
    Fish Tank_90 by rickztahone, on Flickr
    Fish Tank_89 by rickztahone, on Flickr
    clamped fins on right

Please come back in a few months for progress pics
    Last edited by rickztahone; 05-14-2014 at 05:16 PM.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Default Re: Welcome to the Clean House Of Turqs

Nice looking group Rick, good luck with them!
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

the one on the RIGHT is awesome!
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

ps.. that tank is SICK!!! great job!!
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

Wow! Extraordinary, love the clean, sleek lines of the tank and the white puts all focus on the discus!

Awesome photos. Good luck with the grow-out project. They will grow big as long as you keep up with the WC and good diet. Looking forward to the updates.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    Nice looking group Rick, good luck with them!
    Thank you very much Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    the one on the RIGHT is awesome!
    Which one in particular Skip? I numbered the pics to more easily reference them.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    ps.. that tank is SICK!!! great job!!
    Thanks. I must say, I am particularly proud of this overall build. The turqs were the icing on the cake

Quote Originally Posted by Tictok View Post
    Wow! Extraordinary, love the clean, sleek lines of the tank and the white puts all focus on the discus!
    Thank you very much. I will try to get a better shot of the tank/stand. The shot of it shown here is very distorted due to the lens used. I was trying to avoid a furniture piece to the right of the tank so I had to get in close. I will shoot it some other day with a regular focal length to get a better perspective. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
    Awesome photos. Good luck with the grow-out project. They will grow big as long as you keep up with the WC and good diet. Looking forward to the updates.
    I plan on only doing 3x WC's per week. I did my first 100% WC today with no problems. They still need to settle down though. I offered food this morning and got no response what-so-ever. Will try tomorrow.

Thank all.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kohen Lee

Congrats Rick, they all look amazing. Looking forward to see updates.

Well done. Love the tank and the cabinet as well. All the attention is on the discus. Great job and look forward to the progress. Rufus

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Kohen View Post
    Congrats Rick, they all look amazing. Looking forward to see updates.
    I will try to update every month or so. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudustin View Post
    Well done. Love the tank and the cabinet as well. All the attention is on the discus. Great job and look forward to the progress. Rufus
    Thanks Rufus. That was the whole idea from the beginning, and I'm glad I got close to my goal :-). I just wish I had a hard scape in there with sand, lol.

I got the LED fixture in yesterday. It is pretty sweet actually. It has the sunrise/sunset effect which is really nice. Small and sleek. The thing is less than an inch thick! I only got the 24" but I can see how the 36" would have been way too much light for my setup. I'm glad the discus weren't scared of the light at first. It is nice and subtle, which is what I was looking for. The white led's sure do look good though.

Cafepress.com

Rick I'm looking for led fixture also with sunrise and sunset features and what brand are your led ?

I saw one really nice new led made by aquatic life from ken's fish and was thinking bout placing an order for all my breeding tanks.....I need to get three 36'' led for 6 tanks. Cost about $150 per unit.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by beastroy View Post
    Rick I'm looking for led fixture also with sunrise and sunset features and what brand are your led ?

I saw one really nice new led made by aquatic life from ken's fish and was thinking bout placing an order for all my breeding tanks.....I need to get three 36'' led for 6 tanks. Cost about $150 per unit.
    I purchased the Aquatic Life EDGE LED fixture off of Amazon for $126 shipped. Keep in mind, this was the 24". I don't plan on having plants which is why I didn't mind going cheap. However, their 36 and 48" fixtures look very promising considering how many more leds they have. I am really impressed by it though. Maybe I'll do a video for the fixture one of these days.

Cafepress.com

[QUOTE=rickztahone;1092036]I purchased the Aquatic Life EDGE LED fixture off of Amazon for $126 shipped. Keep in mind, this was the 24". I don't plan on having plants which is why I didn't mind going cheap. However, their 36 and 48" fixtures look very promising considering how many more leds they have. I am really impressed by it though. Maybe I'll do a video for the fixture one of these days.[/QUOTE

Nice Rick.......is the edge unit dimmable ? because I'm worried it might be overkill for my breeding tanks due to the brightness. if is dimmable then I will place an order asap now.
    I would love to see them over your tank now ...lol

Real Name
    Ricardo

[QUOTE=beastroy;1092038]
    Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I purchased the Aquatic Life EDGE LED fixture off of Amazon for $126 shipped. Keep in mind, this was the 24". I don't plan on having plants which is why I didn't mind going cheap. However, their 36 and 48" fixtures look very promising considering how many more leds they have. I am really impressed by it though. Maybe I'll do a video for the fixture one of these days.[/QUOTE

Nice Rick.......is the edge unit dimmable ? because I'm worried it might be overkill for my breeding tanks due to the brightness. if is dimmable then I will place an order asap now.
    I would love to see them over your tank now ...lol
    I have not found a dimmable option, however, when you program the unit, you basically have to program 3 sets of lights, the multi-colored (red/blue), the white, and then the moonlights. I noticed that when only the multi-colored ones were on, they were ver dim. I wouldn't say this is overkill by any means. I have had all type of lights, and this one is definitely pleasing to the eye, but it isn't extremely high output, which I don't believe it was meant to be. Wait till tomorrow and I will shoot up a video for you.

Cafepress.com

Ok thanks.....I can't resist anymore longer so I will place an order now.
    I will sure check out your video.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast