AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Should I medicate?

Real Name
    Rick

Default Re: Should I medicate?

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Which is exactly the same one I have used and did use this time around.

Honestly guys, if it was the silicone, all of the fish would be dark, super stressed and probably would have all died by now. The carbon would have reduced it as well. The silicone initially cured for over 2 weeks. I know the silicone isn't the problem here.

I get it, many of you wouldn't use it. But many, many people in the aquarium hobby use this stuff all the time. It isn't something I just got on a whim, I have researched it in the past and this time as well.

Label says "not intended for aquarium use", to most, that would be enough said. Symptoms you are now experiencing seem to point to a contaminate don't they? If it is not the silicone then what is it? Hard to say how the manufacturing process works at the silicone factory, perhaps they run both types through the same machinery and the first few cases of type 1 without inhibitors actually do have trace amounts (IIRC anything less than 1% is not required to be reported as an ingredient).

Now, in my book, it's just not worth the extra six bucks to take the risk, maybe to some of you it is. It is possible that the fish arrived with a sickness, but it would seem we would be seeing more disease threads like this pointing back to the same supplier.

You must make sure you look in the fine print
    The part where it says "not intended for aquarium use" isn't hard to find at all. Look, if for no other reason, using the product pretty much voids any warranty you may or may not get from your fish supplier. In my book, thats good enough reason not to use the product and spend an extra 6 bucks.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rick is the fish in the qt doing better than the others in the other tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those of us that have use it knows there's no issue. GE put that ""not intended for aquarium use" as a legal disclaimer so that if someone use it on their tanks something goes wrong such as silicone not holding the glass together correctly causing it to break or leak they cannot get sue for. Either-way, there will always be two half when it comes to this debate. IMO the way the fish was breathing and how it look in the video has me thinking it's disease related. That's just my opinion and I'm sure Rick knows what he needs to do after this point. Good luck and do keep us posted.

Real Name
    Rick

GE put that ""not intended for aquarium use" as a legal disclaimer so that if someone use it on their tanks something goes wrong such as silicone not holding the glass together correctly causing it to break or leak they cannot get sue for.
    I have heard that argument, not only is it not aquarium safe, but it is not food grade as well. Food grade=fish safe. The product is not allowed in any FDA inspected food facility, and these are not underwater.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I don't think it is accurate to say if it were the silicone all would be sick. 10 people can be exposed to the flu and only 1 may get it. Stress has a huge impact on immunity.

Which is exactly the same one I have used and did use this time around.

Honestly guys, if it was the silicone, all of the fish would be dark, super stressed and probably would have all died by now. The carbon would have reduced it as well. The silicone initially cured for over 2 weeks. I know the silicone isn't the problem here.

I get it, many of you wouldn't use it. But many, many people in the aquarium hobby use this stuff all the time. It isn't something I just got on a whim, I have researched it in the past and this time as well.

We're not talking about food safety labels and qualifications vs fish safe qualifications, but it really isn't worth a debate. The more important goal is to help Rick get his fish back into good health -- not who's right, who's wrong or who holds the highest score in "debate club" If a tube of aquarium safe silicone is only $15, then Rick can decide if he wants to go that route and eliminate the silicone 100% as the root cause.

Len

How are they doing?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Much much better today. The 2 that never ate finally started eating after about a week of medicating. Stress bars going away, no clamped fins or huddled together hiding. Very happy about it. Thanks.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

That's great news my friend we need to celebrate
    Salud

Awesome news buddy... I knew you'll make the right move. Glad to see the fish are doing well...

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Much much better today. The 2 that never ate finally started eating after about a week of medicating. Stress bars going away, no clamped fins or huddled together hiding. Very happy about it. Thanks.
    Keep up the good work .........Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Quote Originally Posted by alcastro View Post
    Salud

+200! HURRAH!! Thank goodness for meds in time! Well done. What meds did you go with or did I miss it?
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by alcastro View Post
    Salud

Thank you my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
    Awesome news buddy... I knew you'll make the right move. Glad to see the fish are doing well...
    Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoDiscus View Post
    Keep up the good work .........Josie
    Thanks Josie, I will try.

Quote Originally Posted by musicmarn1 View Post
    +200! HURRAH!! Thank goodness for meds in time! Well done. What meds did you go with or did I miss it?
    I went with the meds that Al was so kindly willing to give me. I used Metro and Prazi at 92F. The treatment is still going on but will be done soon. Since 2 weren't eating, I was advised by a very knowledgeable discus keeper to treat them directly. So, I had to use a syringe and take them out of the water and treat in this fashion. This was in addition to treating the water column as well, and some FBW's for the 2 that were eating. The Prazi was straight in to the water column. I noticed them breathing from both gills at all times now. Before, they would once in a while breath from only one gill.

Here's hoping that they are on a road to recovery, and I hope this hasn't stunted their growth at all. The original smaller one of the group get much smaller than when I received it originally. It wasn't doing very well.

Thank you all folks.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011