ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Seeding a filter question.

Registered Member

Default Seeding a filter question.

Hi,

I am planning on starting a discus aquarium in the next 6 months or so. It will be a 55 gal with a Hamburg Mat filter.

My question is can I use my cichlid filter sponge to seed a discus tank? The cichlids are heathy and the aquarium has been running for 6 years. No new additions in over a year. I use tap water with prime and do not buffer. It does have an aragonite substrate and lace rock.

Thanks,
    Brian

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Seeding a filter question.

Hi Brian and welcome to Simply. I would suggest doing a lot of reading here on the site about basic discus care. You will find that starting with a sterilized tank and a fishless cycle is generally recommended here. The problem starting with your cichlid filter sponge is it is a source of contamination with a new group of discus. While aragonite substrate and lace rock are ok for African cichlids we recommend a bare bottom or a lite layer of PFS for discus. As a begineer I would suggest starting bare bottom until you are comfortable with discus.

I would encourage thinking about a water change strategy as discus require lots of clean water.

Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Thanks for the response. Sorry the stats on the cichlid aquarium were just for reference on the seeding.

I am a researchaholic so that will be no problem. Yes I will be doing bare bottom with every other day water changes. Planning on 4-5 inch or larger discus. I live about 30 mins from Central Ohio Discus so that is where I will be getting my fish.

Brian

Registered Member

For what it's worth, I did fishless cycling with Dr Tim's one and Only nitrifying Bacteria and had great results

Registered Member

I will look into that. Fishless cycle is the way I will be going. Just saving my pennies and setting up my plan.

Brian

Banned
    Real Name
    Michael

Seeding my tank i used 4 stockings of gravel from my old tank and used one of its corner filters aswell in the new tank and seems to be doing the job faster than a fishless cycle, fishless will take u 6-8weeks if im not mistaken and seeding your tank will take a week or 2 depending on howmuch media u move to the new tank... it worked for me so if u got any gravel and stockings use it to seed the tank aswell and just remove it in a month same with the filter media, but then again contamination and bacteria that discus cant handle so its a risk u can take or just start a fresh tank from scratch. Btw if u add filter media and gravel or sand make sure u add couple fish in with it to keep ammonia in the tank for the media to feed on to start your shorter cycle... add a neon tetra or 6 in there for the semi cycle and lots of 50% water changes. But for discus cycle the tank first im struggling now with my new tank semi cycled tank with my discus in it already with media from a nother tank thats helping out loads in dropping my nitrites and fish are happy except the ones getting bullied by the bigger discus, goodluck.

Banned
    Real Name
    Michael

Ammonia and nitrites still at 0 nitrates at 5ppm in a 2week old tank... not bad moving things over from my old 2foot to the 3foot tank.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Registered Member

I did the same thing, I used media from a fully cycled tank, not too worried about introducing anything bad for the discus since the tank I took the media from are all very healthy.

I was able to get a couple gallons of water for the breeder in advance of buying the fish. Added it to my water aging tank and went for there. All the best.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

A fish less cycle is just what it says, it's fish less. Adding media or gravel from another source greatly increases the risk of contamination. Adding a few tetras will do little to build up a bacteria base large enough to handle a full load of Discus but bringing your ammonia up to 3 or 4 ppm and keeping it there will. When done properly you can go right to a full load of Discus and never see any ammonia and have zero risk of contamination. Without buying any seed bacteria my cycle took 6 weeks and worked great. There are some excellent right ups on this subject one of which is on this site. Study them and stick to what they say.