ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying fish at NADA; what to expect?

Default Buying fish at NADA; what to expect?

This will be my first NADA show and don't really know what to expect. I am going with the intention of buying 1-2 show quality fish, and was wondering how that all works:

1. Is it dealers or individuals the ones selling fish? Are they fish that you wouldn't see in a vendors monthly shipment?
    1. Are there tanks w prices just like anywhere else, or is there a, open bidding/auctioning process?
    3. How many fish to choose from? Dozens, hundreds, thousands??
    4. How much could a top notch, show grade fish cost me?!
    5. Could you make an offer on an award winning fish? Or is it presumed that the owner would never think of selling it?

Any input from past participants is appreciated!

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Default Re: Buying fish at NADA; what to expect?

Yes to almost all your questions....LOL. Thre are normally quite a few fish for sale. Some will be from individuals like me, but most will be dealers. I have bought fish from the how for as little as $85 but have seen them sell for as much as a $1000. The show fish cannot have any identifing marks on the tanks so you just have to ask around to find the owners and the prices.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member

Another question. If you do not drive to NADA how do you get the fish home?

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Take it on the plane. Different airlines have different rules so everyone needs to check on their own stuff.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Real Name
    Matt

I think John covered it, but act as fast as you can. Some will wait until the Auction Sunday to sell their fish, others might sell the fish before it hits the water of the show tank. Depends on the person and fish. Seemed to be ample show fish for sale in Atlanta in 2012, and plenty of time to strike a deal but once they started selling they sold fast.

I think most entering into the show have been fairly willing to part ways with the award winning fish for the right price, except for the wild section. Most entering are not plan on breeding them anyway.
    -Matt

What John said lol.

Most of these fish will not be what you would see in a regular shipment from one of the Sponsors.

There will be between 100 and 120 Show fish. As John said these will have nothing written on the tanks until after the judging. After the Judging it is up to the owner to a listing on the tank if they want to. Some will and some won't. I would guess that 75% or more of the Show fish will be available for purchase. There will be people buying fish as soon as they go in the tanks so waiting is not a great idea. If you see something you really like then ask around. It won't be that hard to find out who a fish belongs to. Ask, Ask, Ask. You won't know if it is for sale unless you ask. Most of the Sponsors who bring Show fish would rather sale them that have to deal with getting them back home. Along with the Show fish it looks like there are going to be a good many fish for sale in the Rental tank section. We have had a good number of people request the rental tanks. Most of these will be juvies but not all. I know several people that will have some young adults/adults for sale. They will not really be Show grade fish but should be very nice. If there isn't a price on the tank then there should at least be a name and phone number for you to contact the seller.

Price...............I already know we will have some Show fish entered that are valued in the $1000 to $1200 range but you should also be able to buy some of the Show fish in the $200 to $500 range also.

There will be an actual auction on Sunday but it will be hit or miss as to what you might find in the auction. Your best bet is to try to make your purchase as soon as you see something you like.

If you don't drive to NADA then you will have to make some kind of arrangement to get the fish home. NADA has no means to provide shipping for you. If the fish you are purchasing is from one of the Sponsors then you may be able to arrange to have them ship it for you. You can also check in advance and see if you can ship the fish airport to airport and it go on your flight. This would be using something like Delta Dash but you would have to have a way to bag and box it for shipping. Again if you are buying the fish from one of the sponsors then they might be able to help with this also.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Real Name
    Nathan P.

Makes me wish I was going!!!

As all have said it is a strike early or miss out on many of the nice fish. Personally I did noy bring home any of the fish I brought to Atlanta and plan to do the same this year. Fun time to see and buy some very nice fish.

What I've done is show up early enough to see the show fish being tanked. I look at all at them with a hard eye. When I see one I want I talk to the exhibitor about buying it. First time I did it this way I bought the BIS fish, second time I got fish that was 1st place in it's class. You need to get in early and use your eye. I was able to buy killer fish at both shows for much less than their value.
    Mama Bear

I can't wait, I've been told no fish buying, BUT I plan to plead temporary insanity
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Default Buying fish at NADA; what to expect?

I did the temporary insanity in Atlanta .... And I'm planning ahead this year.

Larry is right - there will be a lot of fish for sale as soon as they hit the tanks and some are already sold before they even get there. It's all up to the person showing them. The rental tanks will be marked and have all sizes available there. And there is way more than there was at Atlanta!

Also vendors - there will be some very nice vendors there - everything from tanks to backgrounds, lights, cones, plants, food and supplies and more... You do NOT want to miss this show!

PLAN on coming early - staying up late - loosing sleep! All while having the time of your life! Or as John Nicholson says the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOS Crew Texas
    Show Committee for NADA 2014 AUSTIN TX

I CAN"T WAIT!!
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

its going to take awhile for first timers to get over the Shock.. of what THEY think a Quality discus looks like..

and then when they See one FOR REAL!!!

then you start schmoozing with people.. look at the fish.. schmooze more.. ask who owns fish.. find that person.. ask if it is sold yet.. look at more.. drool.. do the calculations of how many fish you can buy with out skipping rent/mortgage.. REPEAT.. for 3 days!!

but i can you this.. Scare Money, Don't get discus.. LOL

that means.. if you like a fish.. you better buy if FAST!!
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

AND. the show is every 2 years!!! i joined simply like 3 weeks after dallas 2010.. let me tell you it was a LOOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGG wait for Atlanta 2012!!

but it was freaking worth it!!!!
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    but i can you this.. Scare Money, Don't get discus.. LOL

that means.. if you like a fish.. you better buy if FAST!!
    Skip speaks from experience, I think we were all cheering for Skip to finally get some from the auction the last day.
    -Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast