AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Canister Filters

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Justin

Default Re: Canister Filters

I recommend the rena line. I own (4) xp 3 and they have been bullet proof. My oldest one has been running on my turtle tank for 8 years. I run 2 on the planted 125gal show tank and it keeps my water crystal clean.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tony

So I started being sure about getting the fluval fx6 for my tank (which I haven't even bought yet)after reading this, I am so confused now! LOL. I guess the price on the three canister filters the original poster asked about is tempting but they look exactly the same, I bet they are just one company with three different labels. I am looking at the Hydor 600 anyone know anything about them bad good etc, cant find any comparison reviews between the different brands.
    Thanks,Tony

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    My only concern with 2 HOB filters like my AquaClear 110 is the force of the water coming in the tank. Yes you can tone it down by sliding the tube over, but it is still a strong current. And, having 2 of them on a 90 gal tank it gives the discus no where to go for calmer waters. A canister allows you the option to adjust the return line to graze the top of the water or add a spray bar.
    I use a Magnum350 with bio-wheels and an XP3 filled with matrix and foam not to mention a Hydor koralia 750 on both of my 75's with bare bottom. My discus do not seem to mind they even get up and play in the current from time to time.

I cannot speak bad for either of my Magnums or Rena XP3's they have been bullet proof forever one magnum was the bought right after they went from 330 to 350 so it is going on 25+yrs no leaks have replaced impeller twice. My Rena XP3's have been the same since they came out bulletproof. no matter how clean you keep them you will replace impellers as they wear out from spinning a zillion million times

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

I make canister filters out of large PVC pipe and put them inline with an Eheim pump. The one under the 90g tank holds 2 or 3 gallons of matrix-like stone. I live near a pumice mine, maybe its the mine where Seachem gets their rock because it looks identical.

Registered Member

Matrix is a "treated pumice" according to Seachem....you could very well be correct. Must be why when i get a 5L bucket it has a few hard rocks in it Does your float? All pumice I have ever had did except for matrix

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Pumice seems to vary in its density. I find some that floats but most of the rock covering the ground in this volcanic area is heavier than water. When they say they "treat" it I wonder what that means. I treat it by rinsing off the dust.

I read somewhere that this spongy rock might work as a nitrate filter in its interior, the idea being that water would flow so slowly inside the rock that anaerobic conditions would result. The catch of coarse with these magic nitrate filters is that the less water you are filtering the more nitrate you are removing. Huh?

I have the Fluval FX5, it is a BEAST! My water is crystal clear, even if I get lazy and put off my water changes, the water remains PERFECT!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123