AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canister Filters

Default Canister Filters

Has anyone tried one of these filters? If so, what are your personal reviews for a discus tank and it's overall performance?

My Fluval 405 broke down again for the second time and at $195.00 vs Under $100.00.

Pingkay

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JYEL2VE?psc=1

AquaTop

http://www.amazon.com/Aquatop-CF400U...anister+filter

SunSun

http://www.amazon.com/SunSun-HW-304B...anister+filter
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Real Name
    James

Default Re: Canister Filters

The Fluval 405 is a great filter! I have necer used the other filters you have listed. I would consider fixing the fluval, it would be cheaper than buying a new filter. The most expensive part is the moter head which is about $75. Most other parts are less than $10. The link below is a good place to buy the parts if that is the route you decide to go. I have 2 of the 405's and love them.

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Canist...ent-Parts.aspx

Had experience with the SunSun - friend of mine imported them for a while, to be blunt they were cheap and nasty ... suspect the same may hold true for the others too. I'd get one of these Jeff, it will outperform your fluval http://www.amazon.com/Eheim-Classic-...anister+filter best bang for buck out there imo/e - so simple even I can use one, and super efficient as it doesn't have any trays and the like to mess up flow. They are also bullet proof, I'm currently running one which is over 10 years old.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsman View Post
    The Fluval 405 is a great filter! I have necer used the other filters you have listed. I would consider fixing the fluval, it would be cheaper than buying a new filter. The most expensive part is the moter head which is about $75. Most other parts are less than $10. The link below is a good place to buy the parts if that is the route you decide to go. I have 2 of the 405's and love them.

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Canist...ent-Parts.aspx
    I have fixed the same Fluval 3 different times and it still seems to leak for no apart reason even after replacing the O-rings, motor, and clamps.

Maybe I just need a new connection fittings that goes from the hoses to the actual canister. Just not good when it leaks on my new floors.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    Had experience with the SunSun - friend of mine imported them for a while, to be blunt they were cheap and nasty ... suspect the same may hold true for the others too. I'd get one of these Jeff, it will outperform your fluval http://www.amazon.com/Eheim-Classic-...anister+filter best bang for buck out there imo/e - so simple even I can use one, and super efficient as it doesn't have any trays and the like to mess up flow. They are also bullet proof, I'm currently running one which is over 10 years old.
    Thanks Paul for the information on the Eheim. I might be the only one who has had bad luck with them.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Confucius

Registered Member

Get rid of the canister, switch to AQ HOB. Easier to use and clean. Does not usually leak, if it does only one place to leak can be easily and cheaply repaired. (The motor housing) If you have a large tank use more than one!

I use both Elliot. I have an AC 110 un the 95 gal and the Fluval. I like having overkill on filtration, especially when you have a tank full of adult discus and a pleco/cory cleaning crew.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Confucius

Registered Member

I had a canister and an AC110 on my 150 but I gave up my canister and I went to two AC 110s. I do clean the filters more often than when I had a canister but it is so much easier and faster.

The Marineland Magnum 350 is like a Toyota Pickup- They've been using them for about 30 years and have a great reputation. They can be ordered online for $99 and come with micron filter, floss filter, and large carbon container.

I have turned mine into a purigen reactor. I use the micron filter surrounded by 4 Purigen pouches. I keep one extra micron filter and 4 extra Purigen pouches. Every 2-3 weeks I open the canister, flush it with hot water, flush all the parts, install clean micron filter (every 2 weeks) and clean purigen (every 3-4 weeks). The Micron filter and purigen can both be cleaned with bleach and and re-used many times. It has given amazing results. Weekly 80% water change. Water test after two weeks, just before changing filters, Ammonia- 0, Nitrite- 0, Nitrate- 10.

I also have 2 HOB filters with bio sponges and floss media that gets replaced ever week to two weeks. The floss can be rinsed, soaked overnight in bleach, and soaked in dechlorinator many times as well. Water stays pristine between weekly water changes. I know this is unorthodox, but it is working very well for me.

One big plus of the Magnum 350 is the housing is clear. When the micron filter starts getting clogged, it will get louder, but I can look through the housing and see how the water is flowing through the purigen.

My only concern with 2 HOB filters like my AquaClear 110 is the force of the water coming in the tank. Yes you can tone it down by sliding the tube over, but it is still a strong current. And, having 2 of them on a 90 gal tank it gives the discus no where to go for calmer waters. A canister allows you the option to adjust the return line to graze the top of the water or add a spray bar.
    Last edited by DiscusLoverJeff; 06-05-2014 at 04:12 PM.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Confucius

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Keep talking up the Magnum 350 OC.
    President - North American Discus Association

Jeff,I dont use any canisters downstairs,just various AC's,and sponges.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Registered Member Madaboutdiscus's Avatar

My boyfriend used a sunsun on his angel tank. It didn't do well. The tank stayed cloudy and gross with only 3 angels and a pleco

~Victoria

I had a sunsun and there was a short in the motor that melted through to the impeller housing and it leaked all over.
    --Don--

Registered Members

Jeff I'm with you about the fluval I bought brand new a fluval 306 only 22 month's ago fixed it 3 times and had it leak several times still using it have spent about 40.00 on part's and the first time it broke only 3 month's called fluval up spent hr's on the phone and they would not sent me any replacement part's under war, they wanted me too ship it back too them and if then they would repair and sent it back, they said the 3 yr war was only good if I bought it at petco , I would never but another 1, I have a used a casade 1000 that is used from a set-up that I boght rom CL, and never had 1 day of trouble except a tiny drip leak, that was 1 of the shut off valve bought both valve replacement at ken-fish for 5.95 for the money they can't be beat I've seen them sell for brand new on e-bay for 99.00 with shipping never had a problem prime them too start

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast