ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canister Filters

Real Name
    Rick

Default Re: Canister Filters

Personally I think the fluval 400 series are complete POS. Engineered by pass, PITA to prime, impeller and impeller cap always failing, etc etc. The FX5 is a much nicer filter. Jeff, I do have a used RENA xp4 laying around I don't use anymore I could sell you, have no idea what shipping might cost however.

-Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Read so many different reviews on all these canisters and it is amazing how they can go from extremely well to terrible.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Real Name
    James

I like both the Fluval and the Magnum H.O.B. 250 that I use on my tanks. I must say, I've never had a Magnum H.O.B. 250 filter break down on me. I've just started having an issue with the impeller knocking and getting stuck in my Fluval 405. I see repairs in the immediate future.

Just an FYI, PETMOUNTAIN has ALL thier power filters on sale right now at 50% off. The H.O.B. 250 is about $55 and the Canister 350 is $100.00.

Real Name
    James

You can actually see the H.O.B. filter intake and exit tubes in my avatar pic.

Registered Member

I use Rena XP3 or 4 work great and have not had any issues, they are very easy to clean as well. My son just recent bought the AquaTop above for his 100g cichlid tank and hasn't had any issues although it is still early imo but it has made a difference in the clarity of his water and helped control algae as well. He loves it and he also runs an AQ110 on the other end of the tank as well.

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsman View Post
    I like both the Fluval and the Magnum H.O.B. 250 that I use on my tanks. I must say, I've never had a Magnum H.O.B. 250 filter break down on me. I've just started having an issue with the impeller knocking and getting stuck in my Fluval 405. I see repairs in the immediate future.

Just an FYI, PETMOUNTAIN has ALL thier power filters on sale right now at 50% off. The H.O.B. 250 is about $55 and the Canister 350 is $100.00.
    The magnums are intended for water polishing aren't they?

http://www.petmountain.com/product/a...ehtgEY8zvD_BwE

not intended for biological filtration
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

I always used my Magnums for biological filtration by filling the carbon cartridge with floss. I never really thought about whether that's what they were intended for or not, just did it.
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    James

I do the same. Keep in mind, I am talking about the H.O.B. 250. Your only going to "polish" the water if you install the micron filter. It will be fully clogged if left in more than a few days, maybe less depending on how dirty the water is. Otherwise, you use the Filter sleeve and the media chamber filled with some type of media. Could be biological or chemical media. I am not sure what accessories come with the Magnum 350 and if it has interchangable cartridges etc. I've used the 250's for years with no problems. take them apart once a month and rinse everything (change chemical media if used) and put it back together with water in it and put it back on the tank and plug it in. That's it.

Default Canister Filters

I think best choice Fluval 405 for you.because filter pieces are first quality.and in fact for sunsun you need luck

Sent from turkey
    Last edited by TheMutlu; 06-11-2014 at 01:08 PM.

Real Name
    Dave

I have a Magnum 350, a Fluval 406, and a Marineland Emporer 280 (HOB) on my 75 gallon.

The Magnum and Fluval have the Seachem Matrix in them (I don't use carbon if I can avoid it), the HOB has zeolite in it.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Wish pet mountain had a fx6 or fx5 in stock grr, I might go with Rena xp4 instead it's $150 there with shipping I think which is exciting!
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

Try big als pets online.

http://www.bigalspets.com/fx6-high-p...er-filter.html

He should be invited to be a sponsor- great selection and prices.

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by CozyKeith View Post
    I always used my Magnums for biological filtration by filling the carbon cartridge with floss. I never really thought about whether that's what they were intended for or not, just did it.
    Closest I have come to using a mag 350 as a biological filter is placing a hydor V on the intake as a pre-filter. Keep the micron cart in the filter itself, or some purigen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    David

Post Re: Canister Filters

I have both Aquatop and Fluval filters and agree with what was said above.

The Fluval leaks when the power is shut off and the valve isn't closed from the head pressure of the 2 lines going to the tank. In my humble opinion, because the water in my tanks is 86°F and the sealing features are being pushed out on the housing(radially if you consider the housing as having a center through the filter housing from top to bottom), the housing is stretched so that the o-ring doesn't have enough compression to seal the filter once shut. The deformation on the housing is small enough to make a difference.

The Aquatop(CF500) makes noise at the impeller like it's out of balance. I'm probably going to replace the impeller soon to see if the noise is reduced. The light's enclosing tube also ends up leaking after a while and you have to try to seal it. I use the same viscous lubricant that I use on the cover's o-ring to seal it, but the clear tube ends up getting stained after a while.
    That being said, the filters have worked fine otherwise. I added a redundant filter to both, at which time I was prepared to spend money on the filters, as I felt the filters should be of higher quality since I value the discus in both tanks greatly. Anyway, the redundant filters are Ehiem 2080 and 2081 filters which I can't say enough about. They are engineered excellently and would recommend anyone get them. I would save for more economical Ehiem filter if price is limiting factor.

I hope this helps.

Real Name
    David

I should have added, I too replaced the sealing O-rings on the Fluval 305 and still had leaking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast