ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Identification help...

Default Identification help...

Is it possible that this fish is an Alenquer Blue? I bought a mix of Alenquer Reds and Blues together and have never actually been sure which was which. (He's about 7.5 inches nose to tip of tail, maybe 8.)

Last edited by adapted; 06-21-2014 at 12:24 AM.

Registered Member

Default Re: Identification help...

Red would be my guess. But Discus names can and usually are confusing. Super nice fish whatever color they are!...Bill

Thanks Bill. I'm not going to worry too much about it... might not even be an Alenquer. He's healthy, hungry and alert, so that's enough for me.

Another shot... I was thinking the ones on the end were Reds, the one in the background was sold to me as a Nhamunda red, and the other (head on) is the one I was asking about.

Last edited by adapted; 06-21-2014 at 12:26 AM.

[duplicate]
    Last edited by adapted; 06-21-2014 at 12:24 AM.

Registered Member

Would u mind telling me where u got those? I really like them

Quote Originally Posted by gundala View Post
    Would u mind telling me where u got those? I really like them
    I got them from John at Freshwater tropicals. He's a SimplyDiscus Sponsor: Snookn21.

I was very happy with my transaction. His XL fish are Huge. I think he has some Large Alenquers available at the moment.

Registered Member

Really gorgeous fish and I love them!!! IMO the particular fish you mention is colorwise in between blue and red. I nature they mix along with royals, semi royals and so on. All fish are from the same aria and it is only us humans who separate the color shades and put a label on them. The red fish are more expensive (quite rare and popular color) and the once with les stations are often females. Over here (Europe) your red fish cost around $250,- each! The blue would be around $150,- High quality fish and very nice no matter what label they hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch dude View Post
    Really gorgeous fish and I love them!!! IMO the particular fish you mention is colorwise in between blue and red. I nature they mix along with royals, semi royals and so on. All fish are from the same aria and it is only us humans who separate the color shades and put a label on them. The red fish are more expensive (quite rare and popular color) and the once with les stations are often females. Over here (Europe) your red fish cost around $250,- each! The blue would be around $150,- High quality fish and very nice no matter what label they hold.
    Thank you for the kind words and the comparitive pricing info. (If I were European I couldn't have afforded them... still a few good things about being American, I guess.) What I'm enjoying is that they're healthy and sort of feisty and maybe even still growing. I believe they would eat all day if given the chance.

Gorgeous fish and set up.. How big is tank ??

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Great looking fish.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Thanks John. They looked pretty good right out of the box (8 hour transit time from Snookn21's place) and they've gotten even better with 50% daily water changes, twice daily bottom siphons, and a lot of pretty good food (live red wigglers, frozen Hikari mysis shrimp and bloodworms, and Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef flake) in an understocked tank.

I have a question about food, though: Since these fish aren't likely to get much bigger (they're about 7-7.5" including the tail already, and thick) should I be feeding them a little more sparingly than I am? They're ready to eat all the time and I drop something in every three or four hours, but I just wonder if it might be better for water quality and their overall health to let them go a little hungry. Or maybe not underfed, but just less rather than more.

Thanks..

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Good question that I could argue either side of....LOL. What you are doing now is working great. The fish are happy and healthy. Would that change is you fed less probably not. You have to decide where the balance is for you. They are very nice healthy adults. You could cut back on feedings and probably water changes but you have to be careful not to take it to far. I hate to post that kind of advise because as soon as I do some idiot will run all over the internet saying well John said there is no need for daily water changes...LOL. Some people have trouble understanding that every situation needs to be evaluated for its own merits.

Your doing a great job.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    Good question that I could argue either side of....LOL. What you are doing now is working great. The fish are happy and healthy. Would that change is you fed less probably not. You have to decide where the balance is for you. They are very nice healthy adults. You could cut back on feedings and probably water changes but you have to be careful not to take it to far. I hate to post that kind of advise because as soon as I do some idiot will run all over the internet saying well John said there is no need for daily water changes...LOL. Some people have trouble understanding that every situation needs to be evaluated for its own merits.

Your doing a great job.

-john
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Great looking discus btw!
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast