AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pothos question(s)

Default Pothos question(s)

So I decided I would try to put the roots of some pothos in my tank to help keep nitrates down between water changes and also because I like the look of it. I went to lowes and found golden pothos, this will work right? Or do I need just pothos? My understanding is that I just need to tank the roots out from the dirt and wash them? Do I need to worry about there being some sort of fertilizer in the soil or something?

Real Name
    Christopher G

Default Re: Pothos question(s)

No need to pull the whole plant out of the pot. The pic shows a vine from a golden pothos plant , you'll notice a brown aerial root on the vine. Cut the vine to length you want, about 1/2"- 1" behind the aerial root and place vine with aerial root in tank. You'll have roots in a week or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blueluv View Post

No need to pull the whole plant out of the pot. The pic shows a vine from a golden pothos plant , you'll notice a brown aerial root on the vine. Cut the vine to length you want, about 1/2"- 1" behind the aerial root and place vine with aerial root in tank. You'll have roots in a week or two.

Thanks Chris.
    Is there any harm is taking the plant out of the pot and sticking those roots in water ?

Real Name
    Christopher G

The potting soil that pothos comes in does carry fertilizer and could POSSIBLY leach into your aquarium, plus it would stress the plant and possibly die. Don't take a chance, just cut several vines as I instructed in previous post and you'll be golden.

Do I put the plant in water as soon as i cut it up? Or do I wait for the aerial root to grow completely first?

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Take your plant cuttings, just have the cut end of each piece in the water, they will grow roots very fast. Another way to do it is to put the cuttings in a glass or jar of water. In a couple weeks they will have roots and you can then suspend the cuttings in the water. Remember, you only want the stem and roots in the water. The leaves will eventually rot and die if in water.
    Barb (indoor and outdoor gardener)

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Real Name
    Christopher G

Quote Originally Posted by Discusdude7 View Post
    Do I put the plant in water as soon as i cut it up? Or do I wait for the aerial root to grow completely first?
    Place the cuttings in a jar of water or in your tank as soon as you cut them.

Good Advice from both Chris and Barb here....Exactly what I suggest as well.

BTW..Golden Pothos is fine to use

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

The potting soil that pothos comes in does carry fertilizer and could POSSIBLY leach into your aquarium, plus it would stress the plant and possibly die. Don't take a chance, just cut several vines as I instructed in previous post and you'll be golden.

Thanks Chris!
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Take your plant cuttings, just have the cut end of each piece in the water, they will grow roots very fast. Another way to do it is to put the cuttings in a glass or jar of water. In a couple weeks they will have roots and you can then suspend the cuttings in the water. Remember, you only want the stem and roots in the water. The leaves will eventually rot and die if in water.
    Barb (indoor and outdoor gardener)
    Thanks barb, so it will take a couple of weeks for the cuttings to develop roots?

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Good Advice from both Chris and Barb here....Exactly what I suggest as well.

BTW..Golden Pothos is fine to use

hth,
    al
    Thank you Al!

Does the pothos immediately start sucking up nitrates or does it take awhile to get going? How much light do I need for it?

Registered Member

I have always wanted to do this since I first saw them in Al,s fish room but I never paid attention to how they are anchored. Obviously that's my question.How?
    Jay

Real Name
    Christopher G

Hey Discusdude

Pothos plant can live in medium to low light. It should about take two weeks for the cuttings to develop main roots and feeder roots.

I have another cool and easy solution for you!
    There's a new hang in filter that has media and is an aquaponics filter. Tr plant grows out the top . No soil just clay type balls . Plant te pot his in and let it grow and clean water and feed plant.

The company is called Elive. I have them in Canada but I'm
    Sure some pet shops would have them or online.
    You can also use it as a regular filter using the media for biological and a filter cartridge.

Sent by tapatalk in north Burnaby

Here is my home made with old hub filter

I use Matrix to hold the plant works well with the pre filter

Thatpetplace.com has the filter April, I am ordering one of those, on sale now too. Thanks,
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

It is Thatfishplace.com
    Just ordered it, $29.99 including shipping. It is for up to 20 gal.tank,I plan to use it on my Endler tank.
    Barb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast