ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 5 Micron filter bag for sump

Default 5 Micron filter bag for sump

Hello

As part of planing a new 170 Gallon aquarium , I was planing a sump as well for filtration.

I wanted to add a 5 micron filter bag in the final stage for polishing any fine particulates. My concern is how is it would affect the flow rate of water though. Does any one have experience with that?

The plan is to use following stages:
    1- 200 Micron socks at the first stage
    2- Chamber for Purigen ( or I will use a power head to circulate water to a purigen reactor at this point)
    3- 4 Liters Seachem Matrix media
    4- Refugium
    5- 5 Micron filter sock for polishing
    6- Heaters and return pump

The aquarium itself will be a BB with potted plants and use a dripping system with overflows drilled at the top to the sump. an overflow in the sump will drain the extrawater.

there will be another Drain near the bottom of the tank and will be used for any large WC.

Whats your ideas on the setup? and how will the 5 micron affect the flow?

Real Name
    Tony

Default Re: 5 Micron filter bag for sump

5 microns filter can get clog fast, just clean it often. Pay attention to it at the beginning to find out how long does it take , then manage to clean it before it gets clog.

««««««««««« please excuse smart phone poster error »»»»»»»»»»
    My Fish Space
    300gallon Bare Bottom Tank [COMPLETED]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "seek peace and pursue it"

Quote Originally Posted by MKD View Post
    5 microns filter can get clog fast, just clean it often. Pay attention to it at the beginning to find out how long does it take , then managecloggingn it before it gets clog.

Thx for the reply. I made it the last stage so only the particles that will make it through the 200 micro filter get caught in it and extend the time before its cloggin.

I will make an overflow into the next compartment as a bypass of the 5 micon so it dosent flood.

but I am still wondering. Taking cloging aside will it hinder the water flow?

Real Name
    Tony

It's hard to tell. It depends on your sump wide, baffle height... I used to have 20" wide and 5" tall baffle and it was fine ,just clean often like I said. the way you can tell is when it's running , water level on both compartments/chambers are the same then you are good.

Ps: im not sure how you do an overflow by pass 5 microns filter. tank water passes medias, does not sound good to me.

My Fish Space
    300gallon Bare Bottom Tank [COMPLETED]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "seek peace and pursue it"

Quote Originally Posted by MKD View Post
    It's hard to tell. It depends on your sump wide, baffle height... I used to have 20" wide and 5" tall bit ffle and it was fine ,just clean often like I said. the way you can tell is when it's running , water level on both compartments/chambers are the same then you are good.

Ps: im not sure how you do an overflow by pass 5 microns filter. tank water passes medias, does not sound good to me.

The 5 micron sock will be the last stage so the bypass will be a fail safe. And will only pass the 5 micron filter, before that water will have already passed through the 200 micron filter, purigen, media and the refugium

Registered Member

Just curious, as I might be building a sump in a few months myself. If you want a bit more particle filtration, why not just get the 100 micron socks and clean them a little more often? Sounds like you will have to clean the 5 micron filter a lot anyway?