ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Cockroach in aging barrel

Default Cockroach in aging barrel

When I was filling my aging barrel after a water change a couple of days ago I saw a roach and immediately took it out. Is this water still ok to use for doing water changes?
    Thanks

Default Re: Cockroach in aging barrel

Surely you jest. Of course the water is OK.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Surely you jest.
    Nope not joking, just wanted to make sure. Sometimes I get paranoid about the little things, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Of course the water is OK.
    Thanks Liz!

Registered Members

Lizstreithorst if I may be so king too give my exsp in this matter I had a tenant that moved in abd they spread everywhere long story short 1 or two must of gotten in my tank and 4 a long while each time I would do a filter change on 1 of the two canister inside there would be large ones I suspect egg's got inside the tank and the filter was a pefect breeding ground they were alive too didn't hurt the fish but how I got rid of the problem was once a week replaceing the polishing pad and running the filter without the media in a bucket 4 hr as final I learned that there is a paste they the roaches will ear placing it near the tank take too the nest and kill the all, my fear would be egg's alive inside the barrel I would empty the barrel and sterue then re-use I had too clean my filter and replace pad once a week for a 2 month too clear the problem but that was my exsp this was 1.5 ago never had a problem since thank god

Quote Originally Posted by ronald sherman View Post
    Lizstreithorst if I may be so king too give my exsp in this matter I had a tenant that moved in abd they spread everywhere long story short 1 or two must of gotten in my tank and 4 a long while each time I would do a filter change on 1 of the two canister inside there would be large ones I suspect egg's got inside the tank and the filter was a pefect breeding ground they were alive too didn't hurt the fish but how I got rid of the problem was once a week replaceing the polishing pad and running the filter without the media in a bucket 4 hr as final I learned that there is a paste they the roaches will ear placing it near the tank take too the nest and kill the all, my fear would be egg's alive inside the barrel I would empty the barrel and sterue then re-use I had too clean my filter and replace pad once a week for a 2 month too clear the problem but that was my exsp this was 1.5 ago never had a problem since thank god
    That story kind of freaks me out.

Ronald, I had no clue that they could actually reproduce in a canister. That must not have been fun to see. Tough buggers, aren't they? The important thing is that they did no harm. They are not aquatic. They don't harbor diseases that Discus can get. I think that that was what Discusdude7 was concerned about. I should have been more polite in my reply but to me it was a no brainer. I'll try to be more considerate. I will fail, but I will try.
    Mama Bear

My only concern is if the roach had crawled through or ingested any pesticide before it fell in the barrel. Still, at that low of a concentration you could probably just empty and refill the barrel and any minor concern of contamination would be gone. But the bug itself is not a concern -- plenty of fish raised outside eat bugs, larvae, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    My only concern is if the roach had crawled through or ingested any pesticide before it fell in the barrel. Still, at that low of a concentration you could probably just empty and refill the barrel and any minor concern of contamination would be gone. But the bug itself is not a concern -- plenty of fish raised outside eat bugs, larvae, etc.
    Ryan,
    The pest control guy usually sprays stuff in the garage (where is roaches are) and some times they don't die from it. It sometimes "half kills them". Assuming that it "half killed" the roach would I still be fine emptying and filling the aging barrel before use? Also another thing--I go on vacation today for another week, so I need to do a big water change and can't afford to empty the barrel. Any ideas what do do? Lost at this point...
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Discusdude7 View Post
    Ryan,
    The pest control guy usually sprays stuff in the garage (where is roaches are) and some times they don't die from it. It sometimes "half kills them". Assuming that it "half killed" the roach would I still be fine emptying and filling the aging barrel before use? Also another thing--I go on vacation today for another week, so I need to do a big water change and can't afford to empty the barrel. Any ideas what do do? Lost at this point...
    Thank you
    Sorry for annoying Bump but I'm Leaving in a few hrs and would like to get a response before I leave. Maybe I should risk and fill from tap?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Not sure what to tell you R. If what the bug guy used was a stray I would be tempted to empty and refill, even if it was just halfway. If he used a paste I would use the water as is.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Not sure what to tell you R. If what the bug guy used was a stray I would be tempted to empty and refill, even if it was just halfway. If he used a paste I would use the water as is.
    Pat
    Thanks pat. He used the spray unfortunately, I think I will just do a smaller WC with tap and hope for the best.

Real Name
    Pat

How long will you be away?

How long will you be away?
    Until Friday

Real Name
    Pat

I think you will be ok with a smaller WC.

I think you will be ok with a smaller WC.
    Thank you!