AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advise needed on canister filter

Silver Member

Default Re: Advise needed on canister filter

One other thing I would suggest is when you put the filter back together, place the filter floss on top of the course pad, not on top of the substrat. this way you get the cleanest water going through the substrat, making it more effective. The substrat won't get as clogged this way. I also use eheim pre-filters (http://petus.imageg.net/PETNA_36/pim...3_main_enh.jpg) on the intake tubes of mine. I use 2 - 2217a in my 72 gallon tank

Thanks for the help!!

What media came with the filter?

The last few I've bought all came with sponges (which work surprisingly well). As for cleaning I minimise this by using a pre-filter - I wrap floss around the intake tube and every couple of weeks throw it away an put new on. The internal media rarely gets too much attention, an occasional squeeze out is all using de-chlorinated water.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

It has 4 types of media. The first layer at the bottom of the cannister is ehimech, above that is ehifix, above that is ehifsubstrate, and on the top is ehifsynth. (There is also a carbon pad which is used only for the first couple of weeks)
    Im thinking that the ehifsynth needs replacing at cleaning. The ehifsubstrate holds the bb?????i think, so one would just replace half of it at a time, during cleaning! The other two I'm thinking can be used over and over, and can be rinsed in tap water???? I'm not sure about any of this. The directions are so confusing. If you guys could enlighten me, I'd be most grateful!! Kris

The first one is what Eheim describe as mechanical filtration (eheim mech), designed to trap particles etc. It will also develop bacteria which will contribute to the filtration. This can be rinsed in clean de-chlorinated water and will rarely (if ever) need replacing. If you rinse it or wash it in ordinary tap water it may compromise any biological ability it has, whilst it won't provide as much as the substrat it does provide a useful amount. This should look like hollow ceramic tubes.

The next one, the eheim fix, is used to keep the various media apart, so they don't mix. This again can be rinsed in clean de-chlorinated water and will contribute a little towards filtration, both mechanically and biologically. As it is thin washing it under the tap won't be a major issue. This is usually green and looks a bit like matting. Should last a long time

The eheim substrat is the main biological filtration material, but as already stated all of the media contribute to this. It should only be rinsed in clean de-chlorinated water. Lasts well but over time it does break down/clog a little (years and years - not months). It is really good stuff ime.

The last is just a form of filter floss and polishes the water before it returns to the tank, it can be rinsed once or twice in a push but I just replace it with ordinary pond filter floss matting (from eBay). I also use this same material wrapped around the intake tube to act as a pre-filter (mechanical only really) and this reduces the number of times I need to "maintain" the filter.

It is wise to use the carbon pad for a week or two, but do remove it after that.

To speed up the colonisation of the media, squeeze your existing sponge filter into the canister or if it is already setup, squeeze it a couple of times under the water very near to the intake pipe. Do it slowly if in the tank.

Hope that helps. They are superb filters.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Paul, You just helped me BIG TIME!!!!! Just one more question, about the eheim substrate that you mention, is this what looks like ceramic tubes?

No, the ehfimech looks like ceramic tubes, the ehifsubstrate is either granular and white/grey or small balls that are light brown in colour.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    No, the ehfimech looks like ceramic tubes, the ehifsubstrate is either granular and white/grey or small balls that are light brown in colour.
    I have always just used this:

https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products...biological/lav

I found it to work just as well as the higher priced stuff (ehiem subtrate pro, etc).
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    I have always just used this:

https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products...biological/lav

I found it to work just as well as the higher priced stuff (ehiem subtrate pro, etc).
    I've used that in the past too and it works just fine. Kris was supplied the media with the filter so doen't need to buy it (I think).
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

I recently asked the same question regarding which canister to use - settled on an Eheim. I also found video on You Tube regarding the set up of almost any canister - very interesting. The media he uses is Biohome, a sintered glass product. With a little effort you should be able to find the video. I thnk he goes by "pondguru". Alot of what he says makes good sense.

Found it - Just go to You Tube and search Canister Filter Set Up
    Last edited by wild discus; 11-04-2014 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wild discus View Post
    I recently asked the same question regarding which canister to use - settled on an Eheim. I also found video on You Tube regarding the set up of almost any canister - very interesting. The media he uses is Biohome, a sintered glass product. With a little effort you should be able to find the video. I thnk he goes by "pondguru". Alot of what he says makes good senses just

Found it - Just go to You Tube and search Canister Filter Set Up

Thank you very much.......Kris

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123