ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: levamisole

Real Name
    Rick

Default levamisole

From time to time I am asked where i get my levamisole.

http://subquaria.com/Levamisole-HCl-Powder

I like this much better than the cut down versions of the pig wormers that usually have sugars used as inert ingredients.

I am not associated by anyway with the linked retailer.

-Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Default Re: levamisole

Cool. I have not needed any in years but did not know there was a place where you could get the good stuff....LOL

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post

I like this much better than the cut down versions of the pig wormers that usually have sugars used as inert ingredients.

-Rick

How is the quality on this? I and got some from a different source, but it looked like they cut it with some other type of off yellow powder.
    Did you try this yet? Did it work for you? What type of worms did you have problems with?

I think i have a type of Nematodes round worms, will this work?

Real Name
    Rick

Well, I haven't sent it off to a lab, but i did a good job on a friends fish with microscopic confirmed nematodes (aka nematode eggs in the fish poo). Not sure why the stuff you got had yellow powder in it, was it advertised as pure?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well, I haven't sent it off to a lab, but i did a good job on a friends fish with microscopic confirmed nematodes (aka nematode eggs in the fish poo). Not sure why the stuff you got had yellow powder in it, was it advertised as pure?
    Yes, they said it was 99.9% pure, but when I got it, it looked off white... a very slight tint of yellow, but i was able to see pure white dots as well. About 25% was white dots and the rest was slightly yellow. This is what I get for buying from China. I went a head and placed my order. I hope this works for me as it did for you. I trust your judgement because you look like you had been around here for 4 years and have a high post count.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ProBreeders View Post
    Yes, they said it was 99.9% pure, but when I got it, it looked off white... a very slight tint of yellow, but i was able to see pure white dots as well. About 25% was white dots and the rest was slightly yellow. This is what I get for buying from China. I went a head and placed my order. I hope this works for me as it did for you. I trust your judgement because you look like you had been around here for 4 years and have a high post count.

Thanks!
    Well, IMO you can trust Rick when it comes to disease but to base that trust on years on the forum and post count is a mistake. There are many on this forum that exceed Rick but don't have near the knowledge he does.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

You're right Larry, I shouldn't mistaken post count as experience.

Rick, should I melt the levamisole hcl in hot water first to make sure it all melts? Or would the heat alter the chemical make up?
    How did you do it?

Real Name
    Rick

it dissolves easily in tank water.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Excellent customer service over there, good product, very simple instructions.

Rodrigo
    Rod Clement - SOS CREW NJ

This is pure white quality meds!
    Saved my fishes, they are looking much better now too!

Thank you nc0gnet0!!!

Real Name
    Francis

Is this company located in the States as website got no information ?

-Rick
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by ProBreeders View Post
    How is the quality on this? I and got some from a different source, but it looked like they cut it with some other type of off yellow powder.
    Did you try this yet? Did it work for you? What type of worms did you have problems with?

I think i have a type of Nematodes round worms, will this work?
    The older marketed forms of levamisol (aka tramisol) were yellow oblets, and a yellow powder marketed as a pig dewormer. These can be used, but are not pure, imo.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Is this company located in the States as website got no information ?
    It got here within 2 days of ordering, so I'm going to assume they are based in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    The older marketed forms of levamisol (aka tramisol) were yellow oblets, and a yellow powder marketed as a pig dewormer. These can be used, but are not pure, imo.

-al
    I think levamisol is used for all type of cattle right? I don't think i'll need to look for another place to buy it, but i'll be sure to keep that in mind in the future. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Real Name
    Rick

Update

When I first used the subquaria product I got it from them off of ebay. At that time they had no dosage instructions and I referred back to Al's method of treatment which is a 24 hour bath @ 2ppm repeat in 2-3 weeks.

Subquaria then stopped selling the product on ebay and instead marketed the product on their website. When they did so they posted some dosage instructions that are actually quite a bit higher than what is suggested by AL, Paul, or the University of Florida. Their dosage has you treating at roughly 13-15 ppm (6-7x higher). I did not originally notice this. I have however tried the medication at the dosage recommended by subquaria after the fact and the test fish seemed to suffer no ill effects, however why subject a fish to more medication than what is needed.

I sent them an email requesting information on this higher dosage, to which they have not replied. I still believe the product is good, but I don't agree with they way they have you using it.

Also, since this posting, Angels Plus is now carrying pure 100% levamisole, and their dosage instructions are much more in line than what is typically prescribed here. In light of recent events, I suggest people start buying the product from them (Angels Plus)

http://www.angelsplus.com/MedsParasite.htm

-Rick
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 09-04-2014 at 05:00 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I attempted to contact both stores, but was only able to contact one of them.

AngelsPlus is kind of hard to reach since they ask for $15 for consultation. However, they do have a phone number. (716) 372-5273
    I attempted to call, was an answering machine. I was hoping someone here would be able to call them in the morning or afternoon? I have work, so I'm unable to do so.

Rick, do you think you can call and ask if they hold levamisol or levamisol hcl? The reason why i ask will be clear after you read the email I sent to the other one.
    And if you don't mind, can you ask them why the dosage are so different from the two? Thanks a

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast