ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling all computer experts

Real Name
    Chris

Default Calling all computer experts

I have a major computer problem and am stumped. That isn't saying much since I know virtually nothing about computers. I had to buy a new computer in May. Two weeks later the screen started rapidly flashing and I couldn't do anything with it. Luckily I bought the so called bumper to bumper warranty and took it to the techs at the store where I bought it. They said that the computer was a dud and replaced it with a new computer of the same model. That one lasted less than 24 hours so back it went. I got a different make and model this time but 1 month later you guessed it the same problem cropped up. The techs are stumped but if I pay them another $200 they will fix any software issues that come up in the next year. Apparently the pricey extended warranty I bought does not cover software. The guy set the computer back to factory specs and so far so good but I wonder for how long. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Default Re: Calling all computer experts

Don't come back that store or buy that same model again ...
    Ryan

What brand are you buying and from where? If you are having the same problem as before, whether it is software related or not, take it back, get your money back and shop elsewhere.

Knowing a little something about computers, you have way too many options now of make, model and where to buy from.

Lets start from the beginning,

Are you buying a laptop or desktop?

Are you looking for Windows based or Mac?

What is your budget?

What do you want most in a computer?
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

I agree with Jeff about returning it for a full refund and buying somewhere else.

Like anything, you can research brands and models before buying. Cnet.com has reviews of computers at various price levels. PCMag.com sometimes has reviews. You can also do a google search for example "best laptop under $500 or $1000 whatever your budget is" and look for tests and results.

Asus is one of the best budget brands in my experience. Apple probably has the best hardware. Like cars, most manufacturers are making models that are lemons and models that are pretty good. If you could share your budget, type of computer desired and purpose for use, you might get some specific recommendations.

Learning how to set the computer back to the factory specs yourself will add years of life to any computer. Invest in an external hard drive for all of your personal documents. So much malware is out there, adding and removing programs, downloading from the internet, that computer regestries get gunked up very easily. There comes a point where the only way to fix a computer (for someone who is not an expert) is to restore it to the factory settings and start over. This can make an old computer run like new.

Real Name
    Chris

Thanks for the info. The first 2 computers were ASUS Q501 or something like that. The current one is an HP envy All were bought from Best Buy. All are laptops. All used windows 8.1 which I personally hate but its what comes with them now. I don't put anything personal on the hard drive since I do not trust computers any further than I can throw them....which is very tempting. lol I mainly use the computer for a couple of forums, a game, and ordering from reputable sites such as Amazon. I get more computer than I need because I would rather be able to do more if I wish than regret it later.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Where are you physically using the computer? Near a speaker/magnet, source of hot/cold? Could the disruption be from an external source instead of from the hardware itself?

HTHs
    President NADA

SOS Crew - Texas

Did you tweak the graphics/video display? Same problem on 2 brands leans toward user error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Chris

I normally use the computer in the living room. The heat is turned off for the summer and no air conditioning. Just the regular tv speakers that are incorporated into the unit and the computer's speakers are anywhere near it. I have an older computer from my brother as a backup. I know that it was run without any security software and is most likely riddled with viruses and malware . The techs wondered if it could be infecting the new computers through the wireless modem but the older computer hasn't been online when the new ones have been in use. I use security software, not that it's a catchall by any means. I don't click on random links or ads. The tech said that a computer could get infected if an ad was on any webpage. Just try to go anywhere that there isn't any advertising. The only things that I have downloaded are google chrome and security software from Amazon. I am at a loss and so it seems are the techs.

Chris

Registered Members

you should of bought dell they have free in home service or at a very cheap price

Chris, honestly, your first bet is to go somewhere else for support. Best Buy and Futureshop (same company) gouge people for doing next to nothing. The unsuspecting customer thinks they did some big piece of hard magic to solve problems when in fact they usually do not. If you spent money on the likes of the Envy and are having problems already good customer service would have been to give you a little more value added support without a pricetag attached. As far as the other computer infecting it because it may be on the same wireless network is a load of crap (assuming you aren't transferring files between them) they are feeding you to either place blame on something else or because they don't have an honest answer for you. You can call HP and they will give you some support. You actually made a pretty good choice choosing the Envy. Although they are big into Asus as well, Asus has the highest rate of return for repair/defect.

Len

My question is does the issue happen while on battery or AC adapter? If on AC adapter when the issue happen were you connected to the same outlet? Reason why I ask because a bad power outlet that isn't properly ground could cause issue with display. I've see this issue on external monitor but not on laptop monitor. Most display issue on laptop are mainly driver issue. Happening on two unit of different maker seems to direct the issue being something on your end.

Real Name
    Chris

This problem happened using battery power and a power strip that has a surge protector. I am wondering if the problem somehow happened when I downloaded the security software. The old infected computer never had the problem it was only the new computers that I added the security software to. Of course operator error is the most likely cause. I just can't figure out what I am doing. Oh well. Thanks for all of the suggestions. So far so good for now.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by yim11 View Post
    Where are you physically using the computer? Near a speaker/magnet, source of hot/cold? Could the disruption be from an external source instead of from the hardware itself?

HTHs
    This is starting to make more sense now if the problem is happening on 2 different laptops and different brands.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Registered Member

Can you take a video of the problem as it happens?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast