AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling all computer experts

Default Re: Calling all computer experts

If it is really a software issue, get a Mac.

Windows is prompt to virus attack, and becomes slow or buggy after using it for several months, or after some buggy software installation. For me, Mac is good for those who don't know how to prevent themselves from virus.

I am very much a Windows guy, but I do have a MacBook, and I love the performance of my MacBook. Under my recommendation, my church is now using Mac, and they no longer have to worry about virus or software issue.
    Yours truly,
    KK
    Malaysia
    (Currently owns a 76 Gallons + 20 Gallons tanks)

Quote Originally Posted by kkdiscus View Post

Windows is prompt to virus attack, and becomes slow or buggy after using it for several months, or after some buggy software installation. For me, Mac is good for those who don't know how to prevent themselves from virus.

I am very much a Windows guy, but I do have a MacBook, and I love the performance of my MacBook. Under my recommendation, my church is now using Mac, and they no longer have to worry about virus or software issue.
    Please be careful not to promote incorrect information on a public forum.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1625110.html
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1405766.html
    President NADA

SOS Crew - Texas

The statement of Mac not getting virus is false. I've work in the industry long enough to say that when Mac do get virus it's some nasty one that require a complete OS reimage. It happen more often than you think. Becareful with that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by yim11 View Post
    Please be careful not to promote incorrect information on a public forum.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1625110.html
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1405766.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
    The statement of Mac not getting virus is false. I've work in the industry long enough to say that when Mac do get virus it's some nasty one that require a complete OS reimage. It happen more often than you think. Becareful with that statement.
    I have never said Mac will not get virus. Of course, if you guys wanted to go into Windows vs Mac fight, upto you.

When is the last time you got your Mac infected by a virus? Any Mac user with first hand experience here?! My Mac has never been infected with Virus, while I have seen so many Windows computer doomed by Virus attack!

I am just sharing my personal experience as a computer user for the past 19 years (doing DIY of all my Windows PC, installing and formatting and troubleshooting all my computer software and hardware myself, doing coding for my own ecommerce website), and telling the original poster that if it is a software issue, then Mac will be much easier for her.

Most people use PC (Windows), and the easier way to get your Windows into virus is via a USB thumbdrive or visiting a malware website. If you are using a MAC, you have little or no worry having your friend's or family's thumbdrive inserting into your computer. I am not saying zero chance, but it is very very unlikely. Try that with a Windows, I don't let people inserting their unknown thumbdrive into my Windows PC.

Also, the way how Windows installing software is totally different from Mac. You can get your registry clean enough as compare to MAC, which is why Mac can run so much smoother even when your computer is running low on space.

Nevermind, you can argue that Windows is better and what I typed above is flawed, I don't want to go into a debate. Accusing me of "promote incorrect information on a public forum" really disappointing.

(Typing from a Windows 7 system)
    Yours truly,
    KK
    Malaysia

I have never said Mac will not get virus. Of course, if you guys wanted to go into Windows vs Mac fight, upto you.

When is the last time you got your Mac infected by a virus? Any Mac user with first hand experience here?! My Mac has never been infected with Virus, while I have seen so many Windows computer doomed by Virus attack!

I am just sharing my personal experience as a computer user for the past 19 years (doing DIY of all my Windows PC, installing and formatting and troubleshooting all my computer software and hardware myself, doing coding for my own ecommerce website), and telling the original poster that if it is a software issue, then Mac will be much easier for her.

Most people use PC (Windows), and the easier way to get your Windows into virus is via a USB thumbdrive or visiting a malware website. If you are using a MAC, you have little or no worry having your friend's or family's thumbdrive inserting into your computer. I am not saying zero chance, but it is very very unlikely. Try that with a Windows, I don't let people inserting their unknown thumbdrive into my Windows PC.

Also, the way how Windows installing software is totally different from Mac. You can get your registry clean enough as compare to MAC, which is why Mac can run so much smoother even when your computer is running low on space.

Nevermind, you can argue that Windows is better and what I typed above is flawed, I don't want to go into a debate. Accusing me of "promote incorrect information on a public forum" really disappointing.

(Typing from a Windows 7 system)
    LMAO

Did either post use/refer to/mention/imply Windows OS? No.

Both posts were obviously meant to ensure Mac users do not assume they are completely safe from any virus or infection.

No one is arguing or debating any specific OS - simply stating that no matter what choice you make never assume no risk.

Settle down, read what was posted and said, and we await your apology.
    President NADA

SOS Crew - Texas

Real Name
    Chris

I am not going to debate Mac vs Windows. It took me 8 months to save up for a new computer and I am simply trying to sort out what I am doing wrong. The bottom line is that I have used 4 different computers in the past 2 months, visited the same sites, and only the new ones had problems. With 2 it happened in the same place in the house while plugged into a power strip with a surge protector and one while using battery power. All 3 crashed right after start up. The older infected computer has not had any problems being used in the same manner in the same locations in the house. The only difference was that the 3 new computers had Norton 360 downloaded from Amazon and they run on Windows 8.1. The older computer (not really that old) runs on Windows 7.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by yim11 View Post
    LMAO

Did either post use/refer to/mention/imply Windows OS? No.

Both posts were obviously meant to ensure Mac users do not assume they are completely safe from any virus or infection.

No one is arguing or debating any specific OS - simply stating that no matter what choice you make never assume no risk.

Settle down, read what was posted and said, and we await your apology.
    LMAO...Accusing me of "promote incorrect information on a public forum"...
    Yours truly,
    KK
    Malaysia

I am stumped. I am suspecting environmental or user issue. May be you should fill out a disease questionnaire to help people diagnose your computer issue.

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

W8 and W8.1 is known to have some weird issue with flashing screen (black and blue) at startup. It is either failing to run update @ startup or certain startup software that is not working correctly on W8 and causing havoc on the Windows error reporting system.

I hate troubleshooting issues like these as replicating is time consuming. Wish I can provide you with more info.. When I have some free time, I'll browse through technet for you and see if there is something there.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusOnly View Post
    W8 and W8.1 is known to have some weird issue with flashing screen (black and blue) at startup. It is either failing to run update @ startup or certain startup software that is not working correctly on W8 and causing havoc on the Windows error reporting system.

I hate troubleshooting issues like these as replicating is time consuming. Wish I can provide you with more info.. When I have some free time, I'll browse through technet for you and see if there is something there.
    Thank you. Yes, it always happens with startup and at least once I know that it was right after updating.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Sounds like you are picking up some malware right out of the shoot before Norton gets fully loaded. I would not doubt a hacker has injected some malware into the links leading to Norton 360.

I once reformatted my hard drive. Microsoft wanted to update some stuff before I got antivirus up and going. I clicked ok, and picked up some terrible malware just going to the Microsoft website. Lesson learned. Get antivirus running before updating anything else online.

Can you download a free program like AVG Antivirus and save it to a disk. Then reformat your new computer. Install AVG before it connects to the internet and don't use Norton 360. See if that fixes your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Scribbles View Post
    I am not going to debate Mac vs Windows. It took me 8 months to save up for a new computer and I am simply trying to sort out what I am doing wrong. The bottom line is that I have used 4 different computers in the past 2 months, visited the same sites, and only the new ones had problems. With 2 it happened in the same place in the house while plugged into a power strip with a surge protector and one while using battery power. All 3 crashed right after start up. The older infected computer has not had any problems being used in the same manner in the same locations in the house. The only difference was that the 3 new computers had Norton 360 downloaded from Amazon and they run on Windows 8.1. The older computer (not really that old) runs on Windows 7.

Chris

BTW- I don't think you said if you have been tweaking the video settings? That can also cause the screen to not work properly, it a setting is off.

Is this what you are experiencing?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d95e146?page=2

I also did quick search of TechNet on MS last night and I believe earlier issues of similar symptoms were from non-compatible display drivers.

I've been testing/using W8 since the pre-release and quite frankly, I don't trust it enough to use it daily. I've probably done about a dozen of re-image/reinstall to troubleshoot unexplainable issue that just happens.

My suggestion is to create restore for your laptop so that when it happens, you can restore it to X point without starting over. This is the best option for any Windows machine.
    Last edited by DiscusOnly; 07-11-2014 at 09:03 AM.

Im using 2 win 8.1 laptops and have never had the display issue. I previously suggested reformatting the hard drive, but an easier and possibly just as effective option is "system restore". Restore the hard drive to a point before the problem started (before Norton 360 was installed). Install an alternative antivirus, and run all windows updates before installing anything else. If they sold bad drivers there is a good chance they have posted an update that will automatically fix it for you. Keep windows 8 set to at least notify you when any new updates are available and install them as soon as it is convenient.

I read your post. That's sad. Someone could probably call Microsoft directly about a new computer and get some decent tech support for this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusOnly View Post
    Is this what you are experiencing?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d95e146?page=2

I also did quick search of TechNet on MS last night and I believe earlier issues of similar symptoms were from non-compatible display drivers.

I've been testing/using W8 since the pre-release and quite frankly, I don't trust it enough to use it daily. I've probably done about a dozen of re-image/reinstall to troubleshoot unexplainable issue that just happens.

My suggestion is to create restore for your laptop so that when it happens, you can restore it to X point without starting over. This is the best option for any Windows machine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast