AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Calling all computer experts

Default Re: Calling all computer experts

Quote Originally Posted by OC Discus View Post
    I read your post. That's sad. Someone could probably call Microsoft directly about a new computer and get some decent tech support for this issue.
    Good luck with getting "decent" tech support for MS as an end user. You will have better luck on computer forum. I am a developer and do it under MS platform and subscribe to their development forums, most of the solutions I find when I encounter issues is found elsewhere.

The biggest issues with any new OS is compatibility. We retired all of our XP machine here earlier this year and elected to stick with W7 for the majority. There is still too many incompatibility issues. I am still keeping 2 XP, 2 W7, 1 W8 and 2 W8.1 laptop for myself that is for development. My daily machine. Still Windows XP.

I see where Microsoft is going with win 8, but it is a painful process. The iPhone has made complex operations so simple. Win 8 is more like the iPhone and ipad (ref apps) than the MacBook. I've been a windows user since 1990 and have grown with almost every version. Had vista tweaked so that it was reliable and solid. Got a win 7 system for one of my office computers, then tried mac before win 8- it was just too different for me, especially going back and forth between systems. Win 8 had a big learning curve, again going back and forth between systems. I still prefer my win 7 machine for office work. I use a win 8 ultra portable for internet browsing. Apps are still far behind ipad, but ahead of mac for this purpose. I couldn't get used to a tablet for laptop use in a recliner.

Back to the original topic. I suppose so many brands makes compatability issues tough. Each manufacturer has to develop hardware to match the new software. On a new system, for a computer novice, there should be free tech support from the manufacturer for at least a few months. They should be well aware of known issues and any quick fixes.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusOnly View Post
    Is this what you are experiencing?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d95e146?page=2

I also did quick search of TechNet on MS last night and I believe earlier issues of similar symptoms were from non-compatible display drivers.

I've been testing/using W8 since the pre-release and quite frankly, I don't trust it enough to use it daily. I've probably done about a dozen of re-image/reinstall to troubleshoot unexplainable issue that just happens.

My suggestion is to create restore for your laptop so that when it happens, you can restore it to X point without starting over. This is the best option for any Windows machine.
    That is exactly what is happening. I have no idea what you are talking about though. I know nothing about computers. I never had any intention of having one but it became a "necessary evil" a few years ago. lol The new computers don't have a disk drive or cd drive or whatever it is called therefore no recovery disk.
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by OC Discus View Post
    BTW- I don't think you said if you have been tweaking the video settings? That can also cause the screen to not work properly, it a setting is off.
    Nope, I don't tweak anything. I am legally blind and one of the things I liked about some of the new computers is the 1080p resolution. I don't have to change a thing to read messages and such.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Scribbles View Post
    That is exactly what is happening. I have no idea what you are talking about though. I know nothing about computers. I never had any intention of having one but it became a "necessary evil" a few years ago. lol The new computers don't have a disk drive or cd drive or whatever it is called therefore no recovery disk.
    Email me privately and I can tell you steps to take for maintaining your system. New system will not come with CD or DVD drive. The hard drive is partitioned off to allocate space for backup image and recovery. You have almost everything your need. Just need to have a reliable USB drive for booting.

Not to be off topic but if you are not really using computer to it's full potential, an iPad or similar device may be a better option. I no longer carry a laptop with me anymore. I use an iPad when I am not programming.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusOnly View Post
    Email me privately and I can tell you steps to take for maintaining your system. New system will not come with CD or DVD drive. The hard drive is partitioned off to allocate space for backup image and recovery. You have almost everything your need. Just need to have a reliable USB drive for booting.

Not to be off topic but if you are not really using computer to it's full potential, an iPad or similar device may be a better option. I no longer carry a laptop with me anymore. I use an iPad when I am not programming.
    Thank you. Sent you a pm.

Chris

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123