ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone keep Chickens?

Default Anyone keep Chickens?

I used to keep chickens a few years ago.. I started with a batch of 12 Rhode Island Red leghorn Crosses which were great hens, great egg layers and very robust birds. We kept those 2 years and then decided to get a new group... 2-3 each of several breeds...that was the plan. Another person was to go in on the order so I order 35 chicks. The other person bailed I ended up with 32 chickens...a tad many for needs....but we raised them and got them laying. It became way too expensive and too much work so we sold the hens and converted the coop to a shed. That was a few years ago.

Recently a friend in the neighbor got chickens and I've been the recipient of some eggs ...I'd forgotten how much better a fresh egg tasted! Needless to say I got the chicken bug again. This time on a smaller scale.. haven't gotten them yet, but the limit is 4 this time...I've learned my lesson! Not getting chicks, going to pick up some young chickens .

My Kids and I just finished the Coop...have to fence in the run for them, and they will get the back yard as well for free ranging a bit. Should be fun.

-al

Attached Images Attached Images
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone keep Chickens?

We keep chickens. Right now we have 19. I don't keep ours up. My wife hates grass hoppers so the main job of our flock is pest control.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

I used to have chickens. A few Bantams and a big hen...I forgot the name. I miss my hens and the wonderful, rich eggs they produced. The watery, thin shelled, mass produced grocery store eggs will never compare.

Enjoy your new chickens.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

We use to have chickens when I was a kid. People would come and buy the eggs from my mother. But I live in a urban setting so chickens would not work well here. Gosh Al your children are all grown up the last time i seen a photo of them they were pretty small still............Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Nice coop Al, we have 12 Barred Rock hens and really enjoy the fresh eggs.

Luckily we have a 40 acre vegetable farm so feeding them in the summer & fall is inexpensive for us. Here's some of the girls...

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3
    Judi

Real Name
    Matt

If I had the room and didn't live in the "city" I'd love to have them. Maybe one day. Looking good Al!
    -Matt

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Sorry for the wet blanket toss but having grown up adjacent to grandpa's farm and remembering what the chicken coop was like I don't mind buying my eggs. Madison, WI, the Midwest capital for the progressive left cracks me up, no pun intended. People in town there seem to love their chickens...while they're laying. Afterwards however many don't have the heart to make soup out of them so then what. The animal refuge centers now have a glut of old chicken as do many of the parks. If you're going to do it, just think it ALL the way through.
    President - North American Discus Association

I eat chicken ... and eggs - does that count?

I can't believe how big Becky has got!!
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

i wish i lived on some land to get some of them...
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

That paint job really brings that coop together Al. We had chickens when Diana has little. Generally just a couple at the time. Diana was tickled when two little bantam chicks grew up as a hen and rooster.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by CozyKeith View Post
    Sorry for the wet blanket toss but having grown up adjacent to grandpa's farm and remembering what the chicken coop was like I don't mind buying my eggs. Madison, WI, the Midwest capital for the progressive left cracks me up, no pun intended. People in town there seem to love their chickens...while they're laying. Afterwards however many don't have the heart to make soup out of them so then what. The animal refuge centers now have a glut of old chicken as do many of the parks. If you're going to do it, just think it ALL the way through.
    Some good ol southern fried crispy fried chicken would be delicious! Eggs in the morning, chicken for dinner.....I have no issue with it!
    -Matt

Keith,

My last batch of chickens were half for meat and half for eggs. I've no problem with dual purpose.I'm a pragmatist,hunter, and survivalist. My first batch of chickens went into the soup pot...I have to say honestly though... no amount of boiling will make an old hen tender. Edible Yes, but tender...no.

Josie and Paul... yes The kids have grown fast and tall. Becky has has shot up the last year incredibly and Ethan is just starting his...I fear both will be looking down on me soon.

Judi,
    Nice coop Al, we have 12 Barred Rock hens and really enjoy the fresh eggs.

Luckily we have a 40 acre vegetable farm so feeding them in the summer & fall is inexpensive for us. Here's some of the girls...
    We had several Barred Rocks my second batch of chickens.. Yours bring back memories! I wouldnt mind another 1 of these.

Pauline,
    I used to have chickens. A few Bantams and a big hen...I forgot the name. I miss my hens and the wonderful, rich eggs they produced. The watery, thin shelled, mass produced grocery store eggs will never compare.

Enjoy your new chickens.
    Its amazing the difference, isn't it. Those store bought eggs are often months old by the time you get them...yet they still call them "fresh".

Matt & Skip... They are a bit of work,especially up here in the winter... but worth it if you ever have a chance.

John... yep...great insect control.!

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Al, is there anything you haven't tried? Lol
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    Al, is there anything you haven't tried? Lol
    Peafowl maybe?
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Peacocks rock but I do not currently have any.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast