AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone keep Chickens?

Registered Member

Default Re: Anyone keep Chickens?

mini roosters?????? Jeff

Im thinking my chickens are as sick of the snow as I am!

20150303_130316.jpg

20150303_130258.jpg

And of course its snowing again today!
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 03-05-2015 at 12:38 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

just passed a law today. You can have up to 9 chickens. Jeff

Hey Al,

Going to be building the coop in the next few weeks. I can't believe April is approaching already. I do have a couple questions for you.

-What is the latest (month) I should consider starting our flock? I do well with timelines, otherwise it becomes "I'll get to that tomorrow".

-What is your opinion on Rhode Island Reds. I would like both egg producers and meat. Once they stop laying, it's on the dinner table

Thanks!
    ​Greg

Hi Greg,
    Just saw this...
    Rhode Island Reds are an excellent breed to start with.. They are great producers, hardy, and have a good disposition. As for dual purpose.. I know they market them as such, but they will not be great meat producers... soup is fine.

If you plan on chicks , nows a good time... But really anytime this spring is good. Agways start selling chicks and pullets at around now. You can usually find egg laying pullets or soon to be egg layers anytime during the spring/summer. My last group was a group of 1 1/2 -2 year old adult RI Reds that I got on craigslist. I kept these while I was growing some youngster end of the summer, which are now my eggs layers.

I have 2 coops now, one for the current layers and one for new comers..

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi Greg,
    Just saw this...
    Rhode Island Reds are an excellent breed to start with.. They are great producers, hardy, and have a good disposition. As for dual purpose.. I know they market them as such, but they will not be great meat producers... soup is fine.

If you plan on chicks , nows a good time... But really anytime this spring is good. Agways start selling chicks and pullets at around now. You can usually find egg laying pullets or soon to be egg layers anytime during the spring/summer. My last group was a group of 1 1/2 -2 year old adult RI Reds that I got on craigslist. I kept these while I was growing some youngster end of the summer, which are now my eggs layers.

I have 2 coops now, one for the current layers and one for new comers..

al
    Thanks!
    ​Greg

Hens are really happy to see some dirt to scratch in!

20150324_123904.jpg

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

That looks like a huge backyard you have Al. How big is it?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    That looks like a huge backyard you have Al. How big is it?
    My yard ends just beyond the fence.. most of my property is in the front yard... we are on just a tad over an acre here. Its a nice neighborhood. Farm across the street. I can see houses in the woods behind me, but aside from the perpetual dog barking at one, or the quads at the other. Its a quiet Neighborhood.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

My yard ends just beyond the fence.. most of my property is in the front yard... we are on just a tad over an acre here. Its a nice neighborhood. Farm across the street. I can see houses in the woods behind me, but aside from the perpetual dog barking at one, or the quads at the other. Its a quiet Neighborhood.

al
    That is so sweet. Do you know how much an acre would cost here in my area?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

No idea..how much? Out here in Ct prices vary much depending on the area. Some counties are hugely rich .... the land and home values there are "life style of the rich and famous " I live in a small town..in a not so rich or famous area. People move here for the schools..which though I am biased since my wife works in them here,are excellent. I grew up on the other side of town...which Has a main road complete with a mcdonalds and duncan donuts..multiple pizza places,liquor stores, And not much else! The end of town I am on now is more rural,still has many farms.. I like it much better...I do not like urban settings, like to have a campfire in my backyard, like my chickens, I can shoot my arrows to my hearts content in the front yard here. Someday I would really love relocating to another state where I can have A farm...Its something I have always wanted.
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

No idea..how much? Out here in Ct prices vary much depending on the area. Some counties are hugely rich .... the land and home values there are "life style of the rich and famous " I live in a small town..in a not so rich or famous area. People move here for the schools..which though I am biased since my wife works in them here,are excellent. I grew up on the other side of town...which Has a main road complete with a mcdonalds and duncan donuts..multiple pizza places,liquor stores, And not much else! The end of town I am on now is more rural,still has many farms.. I like it much better...I do not like urban settings, like to have a campfire in my backyard, like my chickens, I can shoot my arrows to my hearts content in the front yard here. Someday I would really love relocating to another state where I can have A farm...Its something I have always wanted.
    al
    Well last time we were looking at homes in my area, which are significantly less than 25 miles west in the heart of Los Angeles, they were ranging in the 600k range for half an acre. In areas like Los Angeles (not very nice neighborhoods) there aren't houses in this size range, but if you travel outwards a little you can find an acre for about 1.4 million or so to skies the limit, lol.

My dream has actually always been to leave this area and get a home with a huge back yard to have at least 4 dogs roaming free, lol. The traffic in LA is only getting worse and worse and I'd like a change from the madness.

Anyways, obviously getting OT, but I like that you have so many hobbies and enough space to keep them in

Cafepress.com

In my area, an acre costs you about 70,000 -120,000 no house.... other parts of CT vary considerably between ocean front, lake front. Several counties also border NY and make driving into NYCity possible, so the market there is wacked for prices, slanted more to the more well to do.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I love Simply, just when I think I'm the odd man out I always find something to relate! I'm still swimming a bit "against the current" though as I view them as pets rather than meat/eggs!
    We use to have Silkie(Silky) hen you had to guard since she wanted to lay her eggs under a TV stand we had near the back door and she would attempt to "sneak" in, funniest thing ever! More than once we had to watch TV with her incubating right under it since we did not have the heart to forcefully remove her!

I checked Backyardchikens a bit yesterday, cool site! My old man wants to order some eggs to raise, any suggestions?
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed13 View Post
    I love Simply, just when I think I'm the odd man out I always find something to relate! I'm still swimming a bit "against the current" though as I view them as pets rather than meat/eggs!
    We use to have Silkie(Silky) hen you had to guard since she wanted to lay her eggs under a TV stand we had near the back door and she would attempt to "sneak" in, funniest thing ever! More than once we had to watch TV with her incubating right under it since we did not have the heart to forcefully remove her!

I checked Backyardchikens a bit yesterday, cool site! My old man wants to order some eggs to raise, any suggestions?

Hi Ed,
    I have bought day old chicks from Ideal Poultry several years ago...we bought multiple strains and had really good luck with them...
    http://www.idealpoultry.com/shoponline.html

The current hens I have came from mcMurray, I didn't buy them as days olds, someone else did and I bought them from them as 3 months olds.
    https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/index.html

I'm very impressed with the size on the Buff Rocks and Barred Rocks.. Very healthy hens indeed. I would buy from them direct from what I have here.

hth,
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast