ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone keep Chickens?

Default Re: Anyone keep Chickens?

All I got done was remove the shingles and some rotten ply wood. There were two layers of shingles and ants had set up house keeping between the shingles and the ply.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

You're a brave soul, Liz. I need a shed, but at this point in my life, I'm more likely to call the shed guys. I'm really hoping I get to build (pay for?) a garden shed/shop building in the next year. All we really have right now is our carport and an old steel shed. Moisture is a problem for us here, too. Good luck with your project.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

I just culled my "Rare Breed Chick". They send one with every order. I hated to do it. I'm as tender hearted as anyone, but even though I don't plan on being a chicken breeder, I don't want some rare breed rooster having his way with my purebred hens. It had to be a rooster. It was free. Even if not, it's easier to do it now than later.

I would love to sit on my arse and call the shed guys. But I've priced portable buildings and I can't justify the expense. Doing it myself will be harder on me that I thought. I keep forgetting that I'm old, but old or not I know that I can do it. Shoot...all it is is an 8X12 shed.
    Mama Bear

Liz, I don't know how craigslist is down by you but up here I was able to get a lot of my material free . Throw up a craigslist ad asking for roofing shingles, plywood etc or building a coop. I built my last 2 coops here (I have 3) and built one at my parents mostly with freebies from craigslist....

Looking for a a few bundles of asphalt roofing shingles for free. Doesn't matter what color,or if they are from a starter or even roll asphalt. I need them to cover a chicken coop and shed.

Please let me know if you have some laying around that you don't want or need and I will come and get them.

Thank you
    this one has served me well multiple times. be surprised how many people have bundles laying around for years just looking to get rid of them. I have enough here now to do 15 coops! Lol. Wish I could send you them!
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 04-20-2017 at 10:42 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Some of the chickens hanging out by the barn.

1-chch.jpg

We got a xylophone for the chickens but they aren't interested in playing it. The turkeys like it though.

1-IMG_1363.jpg
    Last edited by DJW; 04-21-2017 at 12:02 AM.

[QUOTE=DJW;1259896]Some of the chickens hanging out by the barn.

1-chch.jpg

Nice looking flock you got there Dan. Do I spy a Blue Orpington (gray hen)?

We have one...

IMGP0303_01

We call her Grey Girl...Original I know, but she is the only we named. Shes our favorite.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Liz, I don't know how craigslist is down by you but up here I was able to get a lot of my material free . Throw up a craigslist ad asking for roofing shingles, plywood etc or building a coop. I built my last 2 coops here (I have 3) and built one at my parents mostly with freebies from craigslist....

this one has served me well multiple times. be surprised how many people have bundles laying around for years just looking to get rid of them. I have enough here now to do 15 coops! Lol. Wish I could send you them!
    Thanks Al, but all I have had to buy so far are nails, screws, and one 2X6. I've scrounged everything else from my house that was made unlivable after Katrina and my old dairy goat barn.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Thanks Al, but all I have had to buy so far are nails, screws, and one 2X6. I've scrounged everything else from my house that was made unlivable after Katrina and my old dairy goat barn.
    Glad to hear that you were able to find use for that then , at least.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

My biggest problem is that I'm not a real carpenter and every time I run across something unexpected I have to spend so much time thinking how to make it right.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

There are a couple of Blue Orpingtons in the mix. I think they're the biggest of the hens.

Waiting to be let out for the day...

1-DSC_0042.JPG

1-DSC_0043.JPG

I could use some construction advice, please. I replaced the bad joists. It was stressful because I'd never done that before and I had to figure how.

I've got the bad plywood off the roof. I knew that I could work up top without killing myself but I haven't done it for like 12 years.

Now I have to deal with these rotted rafters. A couple are rotted about 3" inside the top plate. I'll be damned it I'll rip out and replace every rafter. I'm not going to live in it, it's a chicken house! I should be able to make do by screwing a 3' piece of good 2X6 into the good wood in the compromised rafter, right?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I should be able to make do by screwing a 3' piece of good 2X6 into the good wood in the compromised rafter, right?
    Keep in mind that this will be bearing all the weight of the roof, and yours when you are back up there finishing off the job. Consider using 2 pieces, longer than 3' if possible, of 2 X 6, one on each side, and sandwich the compromised rafter with very long screws.
    Last edited by two utes; 04-24-2017 at 04:06 AM.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Steve

You've inspired me Liz. I'm thinking about building my own garden shed this summer.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

If an old lady of 66 can do it, anyone can do it.
    Mama Bear

Liz...if this is for chickens keep it simple. You dont need that peak at all. ..id just rip it off and put a flat roof with a slight pitch... should be fine and it will save you on time and labor. All three of my coops are like that.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast