AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone keep Chickens?

Default Re: Anyone keep Chickens?

I hadn't thought of that. It would be easier. But I can't. My best neighbor built this little building for his mother as a storage building. He put a lot of work into it. What storage shed needs 3 windows and electricity? The mother didn't appreciate it. Then the worthless grandson inherited it and he let it rot. Now I have the building, delivered free of charge. I will put it to work as a home for chickens which is a huge drop in status for a building...But I saved it from being pushed into a pile and burned. I am giving it a new life. I don't want Jack and Judy coming to visit and thinking that it's ugly. Face it... a flat roof is not an attractive thing. Functional, yes. Pleasing to the eye, no.

Here's a few snaps of my little chickies. They are not quite at the ugly stage but close.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

I see where you are coming from Liz... then I would do as Joe suggested if you arent going to replace them entirely...sandwich the old ones. It will add stability.

As for the chicks...they look great! Very healthy looking little buggers.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

They've been vigorous since day one.
    Mama Bear

This is the best pic I have ever seen of chicks in the ugly stage. It made me laugh so I thought I'd share it. I hope it doesn't tell you that you have to join to see it. I hate it when they do that...https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/pho...m_medium=email
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 04-26-2017 at 07:39 PM. Reason: link didn't work as I had hoped
    Mama Bear

Sorry, the link didn't show the photo that I was talking about. It was on page 2 of the thumbnails if you want to waste your time looking for it. When I saw it I though that chicken people would love it and photography people would give it a thumb up.
    '
    Mama Bear

It's been a while since I've posted pics of my chicks. They're starting to look like chickens! They've been out ranging free all day. I just put them to bed and snapped a couple of pics. The hansdsome guy is my rooster.
    Mama Bear

Liz the look like they are growing into some fine chickens!
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

My neighbors who gave me the building came down yesterday to see the chickens. It had been so rainy here that I didn't dare start painting the building until Sunday. I'm doing it with a brush rather than the roller because a roller won't get into all the hills and valleys on the wafer board. The paint store guy said I'd need only one gallon of primer. He didn't take into consideration the fact that the top 2/3rds of the building is wafer board. That stuff sucks up paint like you wouldn't believe! I only got half of it primed before I ran out of paint. I honestly feel that I should put on 2 coats of primer. It won't be bad. I will be able to use a roller on the second coat. The top latex coat will be a piece of cake.

Jack and Judy said that the chicks are huge! (They're not huge but they are for sure well grown). Jack said, "They sure are pretty". He's right. I must take pics.

I'm glad that that these folks who have been so good to me over many years saw that I had not forgotten about the building once I got it sound and functional. I'm all about getting this building painted but we're supposed to have on and off rain starting Friday and lasting for the foreseeable future.
    Mama Bear

Thats really cool Liz. Glad its all working out. Cant wait to see the finished product!
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Um Liz, you more than anyone should know without pictures it isn't real.
    President - North American Discus Association

You have no idea of how hard it is to sneak up on a flock of free range chickens. You shamed me into it. I hope you're happy now

Most but not all of the Light Brahmas.
    Next the two Buffs. They're only available straight run but it looks like mine are both hens. Look at how one of them has all these long wing feathers and the larger one has none even starting to show. Strange.
    Then the tree became the place for a friendly get-together.

I tried to get a pic of my rooster but he was moving too fast and he came out blurry.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Yup, much happier now. No idea how many pictures you had to take, but you managed to get a couple nice ones. Those buffs are cool colored.
    President - North American Discus Association

I adore the buffs. You should see them when they're adults. They're absolutely stunning. I'd have taken a chance on a flock of them but their only available straight run and I'm not up to ringing rooster necks. I have read that they are not as good layers as the Lights. They say that they lay some but they're better as meat birds. Their rate of maturity is sure different from the Light's. They were small and ugly for ever while the lights grew an an even pace. Then one day they started to blossom. They look good now! It was strange to see growth rates so different. It's more like their different breeds than different strains of the same breed.
    Mama Bear

finally got a pic of Mr. Pecker. I'm still trying to get a good one of my favorite hen, Miss Pertty.
    Mama Bear

I have a hen who insists on laying her daily egg on the sofa. If she is ready to lay while I'm at work she will be pacing in front of the door making sounds that tell me that I must let her in now She doesn't waste time. She comes in, lays her egg, I tell her that she's a good hen and then let her back out.
    Mama Bear

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast