AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone keep Chickens?

Default Re: Anyone keep Chickens?

Quote Originally Posted by Ripplingfire View Post
    If more people had to kill there own meat there would prob be more vegitarians. City living is making us into live stock ... we just get our genetically modified food at the supermaket instead of the trough. On a more positive note ... great work on the hen house.
    You might be right, could depend on the person. I've been harvesting my own meat for years now (venison), do my own veggies (not enough for all year) and all the eggs I need. Also make my own detergents and cleaning materials. It was never about saving money, doing it this way cost a lot more, it was more about 'I'm tired of all the strange crap in the stuff I eat and use'.
    President NADA

SOS Crew - Texas

Quote Originally Posted by yim11 View Post
    You might be right, could depend on the person. I've been harvesting my own meat for years now (venison), do my own veggies (not enough for all year) and all the eggs I need. Also make my own detergents and cleaning materials. It was never about saving money, doing it this way cost a lot more, it was more about 'I'm tired of all the strange crap in the stuff I eat and use'.
    Jim,
    I think alot of people are looking at the way they get what they need and trying to relearn old ways... for me, Nothing is better than something I have made or harvested with my own 2 hands... whether its hunting and fishing, gardening (my god the number of quart jars I Store tomatoes and and salsa in each year! WE have also have our own herb garden here with everything we need to cook with and then some.. Of course theres making homemade ales, wines and Meads. Heck I even make my own Arrows now from time to time. Its not about the costs you are right...Its more about the act of doing it and the results...I think.

--al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Finished framing the run and the roof of the run...Its 4 ft X 8 feet, plus another 4 feet under the coop, gives them 4 feet X 12 feet that should be usable in the winters here...They'll also have access to the Back yard for Ranging. I just have to put up the wire now and get the birds.

If you look close you can see the coop is next to my turtle pen.

-al
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I thought that was for the guard dog, to keep foxes and raccoons out of the chicken coop. what kind of turtle is in there? Pics?

Quote Originally Posted by OC Discus View Post
    I thought that was for the guard dog, to keep foxes and raccoons out of the chicken coop. what kind of turtle is in there? Pics?
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...oted-Tortoises

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

This would be the one change I'd make to class it up a bit.

President - North American Discus Association

@ Keith - very droll
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Lol Keith...

Coop is completed... Just need the chickens now. Took a bit more time and work than I planned but happy enough with the results.

-al

Attached Images Attached Images

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Looks great Al, nice and critter prove.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Well went out today to check out some Hens..Not a good sign when you pull in and theres a Dead chicken being eaten by the others in the poultry yard. The yard looked clean,corpse aside, but the chickens looked off...some just didn't look healthy, others looked great. The Dead bird was obviously there longer than a day, not to be graphic, but it looked like the vultures had been picking it over for days. Now I know Birds die, but the seller knew I was coming by and was working in the yard when I arrived. Would you not have at least checked your stock that day? It wasn't like it was hidden away... it was smack dab in the center of the yard in plain sight. When I pointed it out, he tried to tell me it was sleeping, and pointed to others that had dug shallow pits. I said,"Umm, sorry but that ones not waking up unless its a zombie." Then he acknowledged that it was dead and went over to remove it.

It reminded me of some discus sellers out there, and off course I applied the same logic to it.. I would not buy discus from a seller with dead discus in the tank being eaten by the others, or with a some looking sick....so I sure as heck didn't buy any hens there!

The search continues... not too many poultry farmers in CT..so I may be making a road trip soon.

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Pat

Really Al, that was crazy. Guess that dude did not really want to sale any hens.

Pat,
    Its funny, when I got there, I didn't bring up the dead hen at all...just talked with the guy and he was a talker... I got the impression he thought I was newbie and really poured it on. When he realized I had kept chickens for several years, his manner changed. My guess is he probably gets many first time buyers, and this is just how he operates. Just not a good person to buy from. I was a bit bummed as I spent last night knocking together a combination transport cage and future chick penn ( kids 4 H project)... but oh well. I'm not in a rush.This time of year is not the best for buying pullets....whats availible is either old, or goes fast.

The problem is the longer the coop stays empty, the more I look at strains, and get interested in the exotic ones. Gee..sounds like the discus bug doesnt it?

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Pat

LOL Al, well, you can get one of each one but truly a single strain chicken coop is way cool.

I did the multiple strains... no thanks. But I am really falling for some of the rarer strains... for instance, I really like these Barnevelders..http://www.fossilrockfarm.com/sample-page/

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Pat

They sound perfect and beautiful. Definitely a winner in my book.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast