AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What to do before going on Vacation

Default Re: What to do before going on Vacation

Quote Originally Posted by pattyxlynn View Post
    Thanks for the info, Philly. Good tip on the auto feeders. Reviews always make them sound like the best thing since sliced bread. Or for this generation, DVR's. I'm soaking up all the info I can from this forum. Glad I found it!
    I use my autofeeder while I'm around buy always turn it off while on vacation. Large back to back water changes prior to leaving and fasting for 48 hours. All this will help keep your water clean until your return
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Patty

Hey Ryan, thanks! That's a good idea to use an auto feeder while there to monitor it. What type do you have?

patty

Quote Originally Posted by pattyxlynn View Post
    Hey Ryan, thanks! That's a good idea to use an auto feeder while there to monitor it. What type do you have?

patty
    I use an eheim. I leave for work really early in the am and get home evenings so I use the autofeeder for morning and afternoon feedings.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member

I hace a 250l aquarium with a 100l sump. I got 7 juvenile discus in there with a pair of plecos. Whould they be fine alone for 22 days with an automatic feeder and an auto wc system?

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

First, I trim my plants and wipe down the glass.
    I do a full water change in my fishnook.... which is 53 gallons of the 130 gallons in the system. So 40%.
    The Next day I do another 53 gallons of the 130.. which is 40%... but of course I'm removing a good portion of that water that I just put in....
    So overall that is probably a total of 65%...
    Then I top off my ferts.
    Then I turn off my auto top-off, my auto water change, my auto dosing.
    I instruct the person watching my house to feed sparingly each tank 1 a day.

I've gone away for more than 2 weeks this way and come back to my FishNook being just fine with no discernable deaths among the corydoras, tetras, plecos, shrimp, ottos. My double chamber sump might loose 3 or more inches of water, but that's it.

No, I don't keep any Cichlids at the moment at all.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

After the long hiatus due to covid, we resumed traveling back to our home in Mexico in April... This winter we will spend 6 months there. I looked at every alternative and decided that I need to take my FishNook down. I'm going down to 1 40 gallon breeder in my Arizona USA home and 1 40 gallon breeder in my Sonora Mex home... the plants and fish and shrimp will just have to make the journey in a 5 gallon bucket every 6 months as they move from one location to another... I'll let you all know how it goes.... Around Nov 16th, we will head down to Sonora Mex (Alamos) with the fish.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

I read that in your Fish Nook thread. I think it's a dang shame that you have to take it down, but I applaud you for traveling twice a year with fish. I'm looking forward to a new thread about how you going about doing your complicated (to me, at least) yet perfect automated system. It's funny, I would dread having to figure out all that stuff, but for you, it's your favorite part.
    Mama Bear

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234