ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What to do before going on Vacation

Default Re: What to do before going on Vacation

Thanks for the info! I was just fixing to ask because we are going to south padre for thanksgiving and we will be gone for 4 days. I have not fed my fish since Sunday and we cleaned all the filters and have been doing big daily water changes. We plan on doing a big water change the day we leave and the day we come back. Hopefully that will be enough to keep them safe.
    Using Tapatalk

What Rufus said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Fish View Post
    Thanks for the info! I was just fixing to ask because we are going to south padre for thanksgiving and we will be gone for 4 days. I have not fed my fish since Sunday and we cleaned all the filters and have been doing big daily water changes. We plan on doing a big water change the day we leave and the day we come back. Hopefully that will be enough to keep them safe.
    The only thing I do is the big water change happens the day before I leave. That gives me time to observe the reactions of my fish to the water change.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudustin View Post
    The only thing I do is the big water change happens the day before I leave. That gives me time to observe the reactions of my fish to the water change.
    I did a big water change early in the morning before I left and then I walked them for 30 to 45 minutes after I saw that they were all good to go we are now on our way. Happy holidays by the way!
    Using Tapatalk

Great! All will be well when you get back. Have a wonderful thanksgiving. Rufus

Great! All will be well when you get back. Have a wonderful thanksgiving. Rufus
    Thanks Rufus you too!
    Using Tapatalk

Hi,

Very useful information... I want to know if you can give me an opinion or advise.

I usually don't go for vacation but, because of my job I need to leave entire weekends each 2 weeks. Is perfect follow the same advises?

Regads.

The same advice would apply for a weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by vendetta View Post
    Hi,

Very useful information... I want to know if you can give me an opinion or advise.

I usually don't go for vacation but, because of my job I need to leave entire weekends each 2 weeks. Is perfect follow the same advises?

Regads.
    Yes I have gone for two weeks and all was well. No feeding is better than an automatic feeder malfunctioning feeding too much and someone who does feed the fish would have to be able to do the water changes and siphoning.

Yes I have gone for two weeks and all was well. No feeding is better than an automatic feeder malfunctioning feeding too much and someone who does feed the fish would have to be able to do the water changes and siphoning.
    Agreed.
    Using Tapatalk

Default What to do before going on Vacation

I think I would treat an extended power outage like a vacation. No food for the duration. Get at least one air stone going and keep temp at least room temp with some kind of space heater. That is unless I got a home generator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Member

I have used auto feeders in the past and all was well. Good to know that there are other options.

Registered Member

Have a back up power supply ready to go!!!!!!
    You don't want to think about that why?????
    So fish start to die?????
    To those running canister filters?????
    Do WE YES (I) understand the limited amount of time Nitrifying baterial have before they die( in that tight oxygen deprived space).
    Are we truely concerned about hydrogen sulfide????
    If a large discus dashes suddenly against a sharp object it may or (will) since were on vacation get a nasty wound.
    How do wounds fare in higher temperature where bacteria thrive?????
    Come to think of it my bio load is quit low isn't it????
    Really, Your saying running a U.V WHAT DOES WHAT????
    I have plenty of water conditioner but any Antibiotics, let me think.
    The minor quake so insignificant caused the tank to fall....HOW???
    HOW COULD THE EARTH SHAKE DO THAT
    I'VE HAD A GREATER DEGREE OF SUCCESS KEEPING DISCUS by not running from the things I don't want to happen.
    By ensuring the discus are happy before anything else
    I now breed discus
    PH.........what?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Here is my experience with 5 Adult discus in 75g tank big water change 70-90% the day before travel for 2 weeks and use eheim digital automatic feeders x2 (1 for flakes and the other for Tetra bit) I set them to spin 2 times a day very light feed (small openning) just enough to keep them alive (I did run several tests to see how much food is dispense) but depend on how many fish you keep you can increase the number of feeding time or larger the opening of the auto feeder. You can also do this with 1 auto feed mainly tetra bit. At that time I also have 2 batches of fry mostly betta (100-150 pieces) and goldfish fry(200-250) (about 1-4 weeks old) I bought 2 large cucumbers and 1 head lettuce and put them in the green water that I prepared for my betta fry 1-2 days before the day I travel to get them going (rotten out a bit). The cucumber I cut them in 8 long pieces and I peel the leaves one by one on the lettuce ( i only used 4-6 outter leaves). On the day I travel I put them in the fry tanks the cucumbers and some leaves (My estimate that it should last 2 weeks). After 2 weeks I returned and my discus are doing well and no dead fry the water was still in good condition. After 2 weeks my auto feed tetra bit and flake are almost empty. If I travel for a month I just increase the number of auto feeders to 4 and have each only spin once this make them last much longer. The betta and goldfish fry probably have no chance if the travel time is longer than 2 weeks.

Exclamation Re: What to do before going on Vacation

Hi all,

very good and valuable information, however I'm going for 1 month vacation.. i think the best thing is to assign some one to feed and do the W.C regularly.. however my question is can i change the rate of w.C to 1 time/week

thanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast